Houston Review

Cavaliers-  Also, the music book is completely forgettable.  I've listened to recordings, and I heard it live tonight, and I could barely hum any of it if I tried.  The show is full of spinning visuals within the body movement and drill design and the music seems to simply be a soundtrack for it all.  They are a great drum corps and perform at a very high level, but this show is not as well designed as "Frameworks" and should not be getting the high music scores it is receiving, IMO.

wow dude... so, you think a horn book/music is better when you can go home singing tunes that have been around since friggin' 1974 and previous???? I hate to put you down, but how is coming up with an original show meaning the music is forgettable?? I've been to 2 shows, and I can sing the show top to bottom.

And did you ever do any research on the way they designed the shows?? it pretty much IS a soundtrack to a visual show... using a marriage of music to vis to make the most perfect complete package they can.

By your comments, I can tell you're not much of a music guy making statements like those. But that's okay. We're not all music people. :lol:

And people wonder why there aren't more reviews. He didn't like Cavies. He isn't the first, and he won't be the last. Get over it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow dude... so, you think a horn book/music is better when you can go home singing tunes that have been around since friggin' 1974 and previous???? I hate to put you down, but how is coming up with an original show meaning the music is forgettable?? I've been to 2 shows, and I can sing the show top to bottom.

And did you ever do any research on the way they designed the shows?? it pretty much IS a soundtrack to a visual show... using a marriage of music to vis to make the most perfect complete package they can.

By your comments, I can tell you're not much of a music guy making statements like those. But that's okay. We're not all music people. :lol:

I never said the music was forgettable because it was original. . .I just simply said it was forgettable, and last night was not at all the first time I had heard it.

I don't need to do any research to watch a show and give an opinion on it. . .that's pretty silly if you ask me.

Also, speak not what you not nothing about. I am more than "educated" when it comes to the world of music, which I guess is why I was wanting much more from their book.

In short, let me say this to those who feel the need to defend. . .believe it or not, not everyone has to like your corps.

Also, speak not what you not nothing about. I am more than "educated" when it comes to the world of music, which I guess is why I was wanting much more from their book.

In short, let me say this to those who feel the need to defend. . .believe it or not, not everyone has to like your corps.

I think that is the root of the problem when it comes to this review. Mystreaux doesn't like the Cavaliers...that is obvious. I would much rather have read "I am not a fan of the Cavaliers, and therefore choose not to say anything" rather than writing MORE on the Cavaliers as to why he doesn't like them than why he DID like the other corps. Its almost a guarantee that in any review of the Cavaliers, he is going to say 1)the music is not hummable and 2) they are scoring too high in GE music.

When it comes to reviews, I feel that "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it at all", ESPECIALLY when it comes to an adults criticizm of what kids are doing. Those kids chose to be there, they like what they are doing, and ultimately, this is a YOUTH activity, not the NBA finals.

I personally would ask that anyone who writes a review, to remember to not say anything about a corps that might resemble something that would anger you if someone said it about your HS band (that you teach). Different activities, but they are all youth activities.

Also, in writing reviews, I would love to see people keep their comments about a corps strictly to nothing worse than they would say to the corps director. In other words, if you have something to say in a negative fashion about a corps, imagine yourself saying it to the face of Dave Gibbs or Jeff Fiedler, and then see if you would still write it.

To me, ripping the design of a show and praising the kids for their performance is still back handed. If the kids are performing well, they obviously are in to what they are doing, therefore enjoying the product on the field.

As for Hester, bravo...he didn't say anything negative about a specific corps, just something negative about Mystreaux.

I hate to put you down, but how is coming up with an original show meaning the music is forgettable?? I've been to 2 shows, and I can sing the show top to bottom.

You suffer from the same thing I do....alumni-itus.

My corps can do no wrong......neither can yours.......well......to us at least.

So, then, review only if it's all good. If you don't like what you see or hear, don't review that part.

Then people would complain: "What about the _________ ?" any corps name there, did you forget them, my feelings are hurt....because...., and so on.

You can't win is basically what it comes down to.

And saying you go home humming tunes that you have basically been hearing since 1974 is not an insult to any corps in general? Or specifically right? :sshh:

Edited by LancerFi

Sometimes it's best to just let things go.

Everybody has their opinions about things.

I searched back to last year and the things that were said about Cavies music back then--how the music was just "background" for the visuals. Then I finally heard it. I had to disagree completely. I can still "hum" last year's music just as much as I can the Blue Devil's. I love the way they reintroduced the main musical statement in different contexts throughout the show. Hats off to Richard Saucedo.

That's why I take such opinions with a huge block of salt. Obviously, my perception of music appreciation differs from the majority. That's not to say that their tastes are better or worse than mine.

I can't wait until Orlando. Only then will I be able to experience the music for myself and draw my own conclusions.

Meanwhile, thanks to all who take the time to write reviews.

Edited by jaylogan

I think that is the root of the problem when it comes to this review. Mystreaux doesn't like the Cavaliers

Very true B) , and something I knew from reading posts of his before.

With that in mind, I took his review with a grain of salt. I know that I've disagreed with him in the past, and I'm guessing that I'll probably end up disagreeing with this review as well.

It's funny how biases work. I admit, I have a certian bias toward the Cavailers, and I enjoy them more than any other corps. I truly think Frameworks was the best total show I've ever seen. Of course, someone biased in the other direction isn't going to agree with me. Someone with a Cadets bias, for example, might write a review in which they criticize Boston for doing rehashed material, yet say that the Cadets' show has a shot at the title. B)

That said, I chose to read his revies, hear what he had to say, and move on. There's no accounting for taste, and in the end, what Mystreaux thinks of a show doesn't have any affect on what I think of a show.

Sometimes it's best to just let things go.

Everybody has their opinions about things.

I searched back to last year and the things that they were saying about Cavies music back then--how the music was just "background" for what was seen visually. Then I heard it. I had to disagree completely. I can still "hum" last year's music just as much as I can the Blue Devil's. I love the way they reintroduced the main musical statement in different contexts throughout the show. My hats off to Richard Saucedo.

That's why I take such opinions with a block of salt. Obviously, my perception of music appreciation differs from the majority. That's not to say that their tastes are better or worse than mine.

I can't wait until Orlando. Only then will I be able to experience the music for myself and draw my own conclusions.

Meanwhile, thanks to all who take the time to write reviews.

lol, jay, we posted practically the same post, a minute apart!

lol...very true indeed, Maedhros. Freaky, isn't it? :-)

Also, speak not what you not nothing about.  I am more than "educated" when it comes to the world of music, which I guess is why I was wanting much more from their book.

I think that is the root of the problem when it comes to this review. Mystreaux doesn't like the Cavaliers...that is obvious. I would much rather have read "I am not a fan of the Cavaliers, and therefore choose not to say anything" rather than writing MORE on the Cavaliers as to why he doesn't like them than why he DID like the other corps. Its almost a guarantee that in any review of the Cavaliers, he is going to say 1)the music is not hummable and 2) they are scoring too high in GE music.

When it comes to reviews, I feel that "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it at all", ESPECIALLY when it comes to an adults criticizm of what kids are doing. Those kids chose to be there, they like what they are doing, and ultimately, this is a YOUTH activity, not the NBA finals.

I personally would ask that anyone who writes a review, to remember to not say anything about a corps that might resemble something that would anger you if someone said it about your HS band (that you teach). Different activities, but they are all youth activities.

Also, in writing reviews, I would love to see people keep their comments about a corps strictly to nothing worse than they would say to the corps director. In other words, if you have something to say in a negative fashion about a corps, imagine yourself saying it to the face of Dave Gibbs or Jeff Fiedler, and then see if you would still write it.

To me, ripping the design of a show and praising the kids for their performance is still back handed. If the kids are performing well, they obviously are in to what they are doing, therefore enjoying the product on the field.

As for Hester, bravo...he didn't say anything negative about a specific corps, just something negative about Mystreaux.

Gimme a big ole break!

I've never been a huge Blue Devils fan either, but I found their show to be stellar in all regards and reviewed them as such. Believe it or not, some of us can put aside biases and choose from the product itself whether we like a show or not.

No wonder we have so little reviews, because if someone does not like something all they get to hear is "my corps is better than your corps" or "I like it, so there must be something wrong with you".

In my opinion, the marriage of the visual and musical (which to me is what GE is) is being done very well by Devils, Cavies, Cadets, and a few others (have not seen PR). I however feel that in terms of the initial products standing alone without the other, the Cavies come up short in their music in comparison.

It's an opinion. . .if it does not agree with yours, life will go on.