Houston Review

So, I am unable to put aside my bias, but you can put yours aside? If it bugs you when being accused of bias, guess what. . .it bugs others like myself also. Also, funny to me that when people are speaking negatively about Cavies you state that it is only a very few and it only seems like a lot of people, yet in support of them all of a sudden it is "LOTS" of people. You're right, I am educated, but that has nothing to do with this. I fail to see where I viciously attacked anyone or any corps. I clearly stated that they are a great corps. It all comes down to my opinion disagrees with yours. I respect you a lot as I almost always have, but if I am unable to put everything aside to form an opinion, then you don't deserve such credit either. I think that's fair.

In a professional situation, Mike, yes. I HAVE to put it aside. For 10 years, I had to learn how to put my biases aside and REPORT information. After 10 years doing it, I'd say I got the trick down pretty well.

In a private conversation, with friends, with colleagues, ABSOLUTELY I have bias! I would never presume to say I didn't (and I never once SAID I didn't have bias). And I didn't say anywhere in my comments on this thread that I was UNBIASED. I was only pointing out that you're saying you were "setting your bias aside" -- when early season, before you even HEARD the show, you were bagging on it with the SAME COMMENTS.

So say you're biased. Say you didn't like it... but don't presume to say because of your musical background and your position as a band director that in your "professional opinion" the music has no merit when it is really your personal opinion.

You're talking about likes and dislikes, not critical review of the score -- which, I might add, you have NOT yet held in your hands and worked with a group to know for sure how meritorious it is or isn't.. as a professional musician, can you HONESTLY make an educated opinion on the merit or worth of a composition until you've had it in your hands and dug around inside it?

In my own musical experience -- there have been PLENTY of scores I hated upon hearing them.. but when I started working on them.. working the music into my voice, I gained a different understanding of them.. a better appreciation and a little bit of respect.. the beauty came out in the rehearsal room. Today, MOST of them are still in my repertoire.. (some couldn't be redeemed at any effort)..

and what's this "almost always" business, huh?? :;' :rolleyes:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh. This is the second thread we've had that's gone all meta and reviewed reviews. Can we let it go, already? The bottom line is that not everybody is going to like every show. DEAL WITH IT! I'll say it again, just for good measure: DEAL WITH IT!

Rule #1 to keep in mind when reading reviews is this: Reviews are inherently subjective. If people don't stop bashing reviewers, we'll have no reviews (or at least fewer reviews). If you don't want to read reviews with which you disagree, just stop reading them.

Ugh. This is the second thread we've had that's gone all meta and reviewed reviews. Can we let it go, already? The bottom line is that not everybody is going to like every show. DEAL WITH IT! I'll say it again, just for good measure: DEAL WITH IT!

Rule #1 to keep in mind when reading reviews is this: Reviews are inherently subjective. If people don't stop bashing reviewers, we'll have no reviews (or at least fewer reviews). If you don't want to read reviews with which you disagree, just stop reading them.

I like not dealing with it... it gives me something to do with my free time. Thanks for your concern though. :P

TXMystreaux's comments deserve more than a gut reaction. Some snips and paraphrases from his review: "I thought for two hours about what to write;" this was the performance that occupied his thoughts all the way home. The music seemed to be simply asoundtrack for it all"--i.e., there was an unusual degree of integration and consistency, elements were unified so that each read like the other. "The show was full of spinning," which is to say that it is consistent and focused (as well as appropriately named). I listened to recordings..hornline tight, clean, sections strong. Etc.

We need to separate his observations from his reactions. This poster clearly distinguishes between reaction, or personal bias, and the more objective observations which prompted his reactions.

There is a sense of excitement coming from the Cavaliers, excitement of discovery, of risk-taking, of boldness and of commitment. We are witnessing the evolution of drum corps as an art form. The structural coherence which has been their signature since Four Corners places the leap from entertainment, or artifice, to art within their grasp. The fertile collaboration among the staff seems focused on creating works of, by and for drum corps. They exhibit tasteful diversity and a sense of purpose throughout each show. It is with great imagination that each fragment is interconnected and therefore contributes to and enriches the whole. This consistency and integration is characteristic of art, so I take interest in their evolving style as the emergence of the art form called drum corps. Of course there are stylistic differences and biases which would allow others to aim toward an equivalent level of integration without sacrificing their identities. Such as hummabiliity. I find the motivic-transformational substance of their music engrossing and appropriate. As with Beethoven, the diversity of expression of a single motif/idea is at the heart of the integrity that one also finds in the Cavaliers' compositions. In fact, a tune, which is limited because it can't be ripped apart, turned on its head or distorted without destoying the essence of the tune, may not be the best vehicle for obtaining integration (consider Beethoven's 5th opener, which is repeated over and over with such diversity that it achieves great drama). Mr. Saucedo's compositions are most sophisticated with regard to integrated, concise expression of an idea/motif--in this regard his compositions are classical. And I do find them quite lyrical at times, but my personal inclination toward motivic expression may allow me to hear a hummable melody where most would not. The staff would likely disagree with TXMystreaux that this show is less innovative than their recent efforts of this type. I won't comment, I haven't seen them.

Any new form of expression which has substance will provoke strong reactions. In ballet, the closest equivalent to drum corps in the classical world, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring set off street riots in Paris. The challenge of art is to engage the audience in the aethetic qualities of the performance. Art is never expected to win universal approval. The underlying respect for the Cavaliers, whatever its personal context, is testimony to their achievement on an aesthetic plane. A case in point is TXMystreaux's two-hour reflection on their show.

Stan Collins

No affiliation with any corps, past or present.

I was only pointing out that you're saying you were "setting your bias aside" -- when early season, before you even HEARD the show, you were bagging on it with the SAME COMMENTS.

So say you're biased. Say you didn't like it... but don't presume to say because of your musical background and your position as a band director that in your "professional opinion" the music has no merit when it is really your personal opinion.

That is completely untrue. In our conversation regarding this, my comments were based on the music book only, because that was all I had been able to experience thus far through recordings. I did not form any opinion before seeing or hearing the show.

Secondly, the review was just my opinion. I should not have to point that out. Its all about perception here. . .for me, this is my "fact" of their show, but it is not true for everyone. I never said this was a professional opinion. You and Hester were the ones bringing up and insulting my education. Neither my opinions or the way they were stated were uneducated, they just disagree with yours.

Good grief! It is beyond me why someone is unable to state their opinion about a show they witnessed (which I don't think either Stef or Hester were in Houston) without getting the third degree and being told their opinion is stupid, wrong, and full of bias.

Again, if you guys want the same benefit of the doubt when you speak your mind, then allow me the same. I don't love it like you do. . .but its okay. . .I promise.

Cavaliers-  Also, the music book is completely forgettable.  I've listened to recordings, and I heard it live tonight, and I could barely hum any of it if I tried.  The show is full of spinning visuals within the body movement and drill design and the music seems to simply be a soundtrack for it all.  They are a great drum corps and perform at a very high level, but this show is not as well designed as "Frameworks" and should not be getting the high music scores it is receiving, IMO.

wow dude... so, you think a horn book/music is better when you can go home singing tunes that have been around since friggin' 1974 and previous???? I hate to put you down, but how is coming up with an original show meaning the music is forgettable?? I've been to 2 shows, and I can sing the show top to bottom.

And did you ever do any research on the way they designed the shows?? it pretty much IS a soundtrack to a visual show... using a marriage of music to vis to make the most perfect complete package they can.

By your comments, I can tell you're not much of a music guy making statements like those. But that's okay. We're not all music people. :rolleyes:

Excuse me ?? Who the he** do you think you are ??? First off....many agree with his statements, oh so precious alumnus...second, its true....the music is quite forgettable and not filled with much emotion...attack me, Ill attack you back !!

Third, I happen to know he is very much knowledgable about music........

Don't like his review..so what, but to attack a person because of their opinions ??

Get real...Cavaliers do NOT walk on water.

~G~

Also, speak not what you not nothing about.  I am more than "educated" when it comes to the world of music, which I guess is why I was wanting much more from their book.

In short, let me say this to those who feel the need to defend. . .believe it or not, not everyone has to like your corps.

I think that is the root of the problem when it comes to this review. Mystreaux doesn't like the Cavaliers...that is obvious. I would much rather have read "I am not a fan of the Cavaliers, and therefore choose not to say anything" rather than writing MORE on the Cavaliers as to why he doesn't like them than why he DID like the other corps. Its almost a guarantee that in any review of the Cavaliers, he is going to say 1)the music is not hummable and 2) they are scoring too high in GE music.

When it comes to reviews, I feel that "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it at all", ESPECIALLY when it comes to an adults criticizm of what kids are doing. Those kids chose to be there, they like what they are doing, and ultimately, this is a YOUTH activity, not the NBA finals.

I personally would ask that anyone who writes a review, to remember to not say anything about a corps that might resemble something that would anger you if someone said it about your HS band (that you teach). Different activities, but they are all youth activities.

Also, in writing reviews, I would love to see people keep their comments about a corps strictly to nothing worse than they would say to the corps director. In other words, if you have something to say in a negative fashion about a corps, imagine yourself saying it to the face of Dave Gibbs or Jeff Fiedler, and then see if you would still write it.

To me, ripping the design of a show and praising the kids for their performance is still back handed. If the kids are performing well, they obviously are in to what they are doing, therefore enjoying the product on the field.

As for Hester, bravo...he didn't say anything negative about a specific corps, just something negative about Mystreaux.

Nobody really gives a toot what you think people should or shouldt include in a review.....you are who ???? your postion is ???

YOu dont want to ead the reviews...dont read them, You want to give a review, by all means feel free...dont think in any way you even have the right to tell or "urge" others, including myself what we should or shouldnt write.......how dare you ????

Too bad if you , or others like you cant handle criticism or negativity as long as it is what the person feels....Negativity and criticism IS NOT BASHING....you need to grow a thicker skin...its funny, being in drum corps taught me to have a thicker skin, didnt some of you people learn that ???

~G~

Alright,

This is starting to look like RAMD....

My OPINION....

Although I do not agree with TXMystreaux's OPINION I'm not going to make and ### of myself and my corps.

It is a review, thats all.... not drum corps fact, or musical fact.... Just a guy that gave time out to write a review. (Which I plan on doing for the show at MTSU on Friday)

He didn't like the music..... Big Deal!!!

Grow up...... get over it......

Shannon Jeffreys

Blue Stars 97,99

He didn't like the music..... Big Deal!!!

Grow up...... get over it......

Shannon Jeffreys

Blue Stars 97,99

Brilliant !!! It never should have gotten this far in the first place.......all opinions are valid, and all opinions lead to a better understanding of each other.

~G~

As I have stated before I read more than I post but every now and again I feel compelled to put my two cents in.

I love to read reviews for several reasons. It keeps me informed of how my daughters corps is doing in the opinion of many different fans. And, it helps me know what to truly look for when evaluating a corps.

I have ZERO background in music, can't read it, can't carry a tune in a paper bag, however; I love drum corps. My daughter introduced me to high school band in 1998 when she began marching and my good friend (ex-madison scout) introduced me to drum corps the same year.

I am getting to the point.. I truly appreciate everyone who takes the time to write up a review for all of us who could not attend. Some reviews are written more technically than I understand, I appreciate them none the less. If people are berated for their opinion/review people will not take the time to write them and then we all lose.

My suggestion...If you think you know it all and are so superior to others opinions don't read the reviews. If when you read a review you feel you know more than the reviewer even though you were not there, use your back arrow and read something else.

To the people who take their time to write the reviews..I say THANKS! Thanks for the time it takes, thanks for sharing your thoughts, opinions, and expertise. I read every one of them.

BTW from a novice point of view, a novice who enjoys the Cavies, I think their show looks and sounds the same as last year except with circles instead of squares(frames). See why I don't write reviews????