Woodwinds/Others marching corps!

I myself am a sax player, I play soprano when I march though!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually started as a woodwind. I played clarinet for 5 years and then started playing tuba in marching band to prepare myself for corps because I wanted to march. I ended up marching tuba this past season at Gold, and had a fantastic time becoming a better tuba player and marcher, now I am playing tuba full time because I have discovered a certain passion for it.

Honestly, I can't recall a single year that we didn't have at least a few people in the corps that weren't switching over from woodwinds, especially in the hornline. The mello and bari sections seemed to be the heaviest recipients, but we had at least one contra player that switched.

Thanks everyone for all your input!

I myself fall into this category. Played clarinet/Bass clar since sixth grade, now I'm in college and still playing. I have marched Drum Corps the past 2 seasons.

I am especially looking for those woodwind-turned-drummer stories. Rare I'm sure, but there's got be somebody out there on these forums who knows a guy or two.

Marched with a young lady who was a flute player converted to Baritone (back in the piston/rotor days). Since I started on DCP have seen about every year were a non-brass player is asking for tips or info. Weird thing is most seem to be going for the Bari or at least I noticed those posts more.

Edit: Can remember a clarinet player from my HS in Reading Buccs about the same time. Think she played mid-voice. All I remember is hearing "Hi Jim" as she went by me during Olympic retreat at a show. :blink:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Marched with a young lady who was a flute player converted to Baritone (back in the piston/rotor days). Since I started on DCP have seen about every year were a non-brass player is asking for tips or info. Weird thing is most seem to be going for the Bari or at least I noticed those posts more.

Edit: Can remember a clarinet player from my HS in Reading Buccs about the same time. Think she played mid-voice. All I remember is hearing "Hi Jim" as she went by me during Olympic retreat at a show. :blink:/>

probably b/c you don't see too many true baritone players. yea, they are out there, but not in nearly the numbers of trumpet players. Also, there are more bari spots than mellophone spots in every corps.

of course, i'm sure there are a number of baritones marching DCI that primarily play trombone, which is similar, but the valves are fairly different than the slide.

Indeed, it is all the stories such as these that make me, solely a tuba player who marches tuba, feel like a minority...

Yet you are a rare breed; so an important minority? Or am I wrong? Most tuba players I know also play other brass instruments regularly. And everyone that doesn't play tuba suddenly "knows how" when Tuba Christmas comes along :laughing::whistle: