Tuba Christmas

Check out Tuba Christmas. For those of you in California, I'm going to try to attend the performances on Saturday December 8th in Sacramento and Saturday December 22nd in Anaheim.

Grab your baritone, euphonium or tuba and come on down! (If you have a G-Baritone, BD Alum Ronny Hirata has music for you!)

More Info. here!

• Like 1

I'm going to be playing in the one this Sunday in Valparaiso, Indiana, now that I've bought a euphonium and started taking lessons. I love the sound of the instrument and wanted to do something different for one of the community bands in which I've played percussion. I've been working on the book that is sold of the events, which is pretty cool because one can show up at any TubaChristmas and have the same music.

There's one here in Akron...33rd Annual...2 shows:

Akron's Tuba Christmas

get_out-1.jpg

It's quite the party, and both shows are typically packed...

• Like 1

I’ve often go to the one in Chicago and will most likely this year, it’s pretty late in the season but good fun

I met Boo at one and always felt I owed him an apology for making him call me Cowtown and being vague so as to keep anonymous. So sorry Boo didn’t mean to annoy you – I’ve had some freaks go after me here in a big way so the fewer people that ‘know’ me the better, nothing personal mind you, you’re a stand up guy

I also know being Cowtown isn’t the saving grace but it helps I heard ‘there goes Cowtown’ as I was finding my seat at a show , even I found it cringe inducing

I’ve often go to the one in Chicago and will most likely this year, it’s pretty late in the season but good fun

I met Boo at one and always felt I owed him an apology for making him call me Cowtown and being vague so as to keep anonymous. So sorry Boo didn’t mean to annoy you – I’ve had some freaks go after me here in a big way so the fewer people that ‘know’ me the better, nothing personal mind you, you’re a stand up guy

I also know being Cowtown isn’t the saving grace but it helps I heard ‘there goes Cowtown’ as I was finding my seat at a show , even I found it cringe inducing

No problem. I enjoyed our meeting.

There's one here in Akron... 33rd Annual... two shows. It's quite the party, and both shows are typically packed...

I played Akron for about ten years with a handful of friends from high school. The conductor, Tucker Jolly, who as you can see looks nothing like his name, always used to wear a white vest, so after about five years our group showed up similarly attired. He didn't notice right away -- partly because Akron TubaChristmas is huge, regularly bringing in 500 players. They fill not only the large stage, but also the first ten rows of seats in the house.

The all-day commitment required to play both shows, as well as increased family obligations --and distance after we all moved from our hometown-- convinced us to try different venues in 2002 or so. Because a former school band directors was in charge, we played Cleveland for several years. By design, this is always a smaller ensemble (never more than 50), so there are fewer people who come just to fool around and make noise, and because most of the music is not the standard TubaChristmas repertoire (being instead arranged by the coordinator, with some percussion and organ --the performance is in a church downtown-- and antiphonal pieces with part of the ensemble behind the audience), it makes for a nice change of pace, but the affair is a bit stuffy with much less opportunity for family to sing along. So we've made Lorain our regular site. That show was started specifically as a "release valve" for the over-crowded Akron show, and gets about 125 players in a congenial atmosphere.

We had our 17th TubaChristmas in Shelburne Falls, MA on Sunday, 11/25/12. I've conducted the one in Brattleboro, VT; while playing baritone in Keene, NH and Boston. I'm happiest at my own in Shelburne Falls, where we average 33 players. This year we had 19 players this year, coming from MA, VT, CT, and NY.

• Like 1

Baltimore's version is this Saturday Dec. 1, at the Inner Harbor.

I might wander down there and check it out. Especially since there's a great brewpub within walking distance. :tongue:

I'll be at the Fort Worth performance December 22. Dallas has one December 24 but I'm out of town.