2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

2012 Rules Congress!

Drum Corps Associates (DCA) held its 2012 Rules Congress in Baltimore, MD today and have the following to announce:

The 2014/2015 DCA World Championships will be held in Rochester, New York. The Championship Committee received many bids and Rochester was selected. Plans are under way for a spectacular 50th year anniversary of DCA! Stay tuned for more information.

You can order tickets for the 2013 DCA World Championships in Annapolis, Maryland by going to the DCA website.

Additionally, the directors and executive board agreed to allow the use of amplification for acoustic percussion equipment, beginning with the 2014 competitive season.

The change was approved after much deliberation through educational staff caucuses and debate on the membership floor. The rule will allow for amplification of currently approved concert and keyboard percussion instruments already utilized by DCA corps.

This rule does NOT allow for the use of synthesizers, stringed instruments, or the amplification of voice or brass instruments.

A fantastic summer schedule is about to be announced with shows in over six states with a possibility of Scranton, PA being a regional with ten corps competing!

• Like 2

From my FB post (in response to "Good. Let the Dino's die off. They aren't the ones spending money on DCA anyway.")

But is alienating legacy fans the answer? Do we want to really go down that road?

What about those corps who struggle each year to tour in their region. Are we going to see a repeat of the "must haves" as w did with DCI? Do we really want to add more cost (due to the perception that you MUST have amped pit in order to compete) in an activity that's sometimes in even more dire finances than a DCI corps??

I DO applaud the restriction to ONLY pit instruments and not voice...DCA DID learn from the initial DCI debacle.

I can also see a certain # of corps who will not add amps...if SoCal Dream hasn't moved from G by now, they certainly won't add amps (just my opinion on that). But Empire & Bucs? Sure.

I'm not so sure that it won't damage things in the long run.

----------------

Going away to pick the wife up & do some shopping....I fully expect this thread to blow up like the Tsar Bomba by the time I get back.

• Like 1

I was about to ask you if you wanted woodwinds in drum corp. :tongue.gif

No, we have to put the foot down there. Because clearly, the addition of woodwinds would just completely remove the WHOLE drum corps experience from drum corps. But amps are fine.

Edited by bandocommando
  • Like 1