Santa Clara Vanguard 2013

Les Mis. Interesting

Their timing may be good, as the movie "Les Miserables" is just now out and although some suggest its too long for them ( 3 hours ), the reviews are quite excellent overall, and its chock full of a top name caste, ie, Anne Hathaway, Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, etc. " Les Miserables" is a musical score that has been played in part, or in whole, by 8 DCI Corps, 8 International Corps, and 3 DCA Corps the last 25 years, but it just never seems to get old, or stale. I'm looking forward to both the 2012 Movie version and SCV's 2012 rendition.

December 24, 2012

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD announce their 2013 production:

"Les Miserables"

"O HOLY NIGHT"

My prayers have now been answered

'Tis the night of a gold medal birth.

Ugh. Re-dos rarely ever work.

Disappointed.

[/quote

I actually think that re-dos, when done faithfully with a splash of new flavor, can be spectacular. Take a look at last year for example. I had never heard of Phantom of the Opera or the SCV show of it, but the second I heard the Music of the Night hit I fell in love. SCV 89 is now on the top of my favorite drum corps shows ever. These re-dos are a way for the crowd to get a taste of classic drum corps so that they can learn to appreciate and sometimes adopt this activities rich history. Besides redos actually do tend to score well with thw judges. Just ask Phantom Regiment

• Like 2

Ugh. Re-dos rarely ever work.

Disappointed.

Agreed. With what the Cadets are doing and now SCV, it seems like a lot of rinse and repeat.

Plus, did you see the guard staff? That'll end well...not. And if JD writes another watered-down horn book, don't even start the sycophantic #### about them medaling. It's not going to happen. EDIT: Before (oops, too late) someone starts being negative about this post, a certain well-qualified and highly respected judge from DCI/BOA who may or may not post on here said, "The music was designed for the level of players they had there." [paraphrased] So yes, the music book was weak...especially when they mostly played whole and half notes.

Edited by chaos001
  • Like 3

I think when it's a 5th place show from 24 years ago, no matter how awesome it was, that the title of "re-do" does not apply.

The fact that you know which show I'm talking about, when it was performed, and what place it got argues otherwise.

Placement =/= timelessness.

My only point is that it is very, very rare that a re-do exceeds the original. It just seems like lazy design to choose such ubiquitous music, when you know that it is constantly going to be compared to the "original." Do something new and awesome.

Good luck to all corps, especially Vanguard, which is one of my favorites!

• Like 2