Santa Clara Vanguard 2013

Looking forward to it. Boston's version was... meh.

"We didn't feel there was enough material in Les Miz to support a full show." --Jay Kennedy, Boston Crusaders, 2011. DCI Hall-of-Famer or no, what a jackass statement. Couldn't believe when he said it on the QF Theater broadcast.

• Like 7

1356848007[/url]' post='3236251']

Looking forward to it. Boston's version was... meh.

"We didn't feel there was enough material in Les Miz to support a full show." --Jay Kennedy, Boston Crusaders, 2011. DCI Hall-of-Famer or no, what a jackass statement. Couldn't believe when he said it on the QF Theater broadcast.

I enjoyed BAC in 2011 (and just about every year since 1976 for that matter) and 2011 had some powerful moments, most notably "bring Him Home" and the finale.

When I first heard the comment, I was somewhat puzzled and a few people in the theater actually made comments disagreeing, and this was in BAC territory, but the show was called "Revolution" and used 1812 and Les Miz,,so the comment did make sense. If BAC focused on either one or the other, it would have been a killer show, but as it was it was still a great show and an interesting reworking of beloved and familiar music.

THANK YOU "WVU80"

That works Great!!!!

(I use the Mouse/Control key, way to make the print larger)

I'm just happy to hear the problem was the stupid computer resizing the screen, and not your failing eyesight! :cool:/>

When Vanguard did "Ballet for Martha" in 2009 there was a lot of pre-season debate about how much their effort would compare to Garfield '87. However, once the season began it was pretty clear that they had taken the source material and made it their own. The fact that Vanguard '09 was so good had no comparison to Garfield's earlier effort - each had a different way of portraying the music. Each was tremendously successful.

So Vanguard is doing Les Miserables in '13. All I can ask is that they remain true to their namesake - to be THE Vanguard. Years prior to their successful interpretation of Broadway musicals, they were known for doing things "differently" on the field. There was a subtlety to their shows that had not been tried before.

Their 2009 show respected that heritage using source material made quite famous by another corps. I have no doubt that their 2013 show will follow the same pattern.

As for some of the detrimental comments concerning Boston and Les Mis, all I can say is their 2011 show was wonderful. The blend of 1812 and Les Mis was incredible!

• Like 7

As for some of the detrimental comments concerning Boston and Les Mis, all I can say is their 2011 show was wonderful. The blend of 1812 and Les Mis was incredible!

It was a very clever piece of arranging, the bring him home baritone solo under the white tarp was my highlight of that season.

• Like 1

When Vanguard did "Ballet for Martha" in 2009 there was a lot of pre-season debate about how much their effort would compare to Garfield '87. However, once the season began it was pretty clear that they had taken the source material and made it their own. The fact that Vanguard '09 was so good had no comparison to Garfield's earlier effort - each had a different way of portraying the music. Each was tremendously successful.

So Vanguard is doing Les Miserables in '13. All I can ask is that they remain true to their namesake - to be THE Vanguard. Years prior to their successful interpretation of Broadway musicals, they were known for doing things "differently" on the field. There was a subtlety to their shows that had not been tried before.

Their 2009 show respected that heritage using source material made quite famous by another corps. I have no doubt that their 2013 show will follow the same pattern.

This is exactly what I thought when I heard this announcement, they did such a good job in 09 with a show that had been done so well by someone else, but while making it unique to them and not the same. I'm pretty sure they will do the same again this year.

When I first heard the comment, I was somewhat puzzled and a few people in the theater actually made comments disagreeing, and this was in BAC territory, but the show was called "Revolution" and used 1812 and Les Miz,,so the comment did make sense. If BAC focused on either one or the other, it would have been a killer show, but as it was it was still a great show and an interesting reworking of beloved and familiar music.

You're mistaking cause and effect. They named the show "Revolution" and added 1812 BECAUSE the design staff felt Les Miz couldn't fill an 11-minute show.

Back on topic, I think Shaw's commitment to preserving as much melodic and harmonic structure from the source music as possible will serve this show well. I think Vanguard's 2013 show might actually have more in common with Cadets' 89 version than BAC's 11 version.

• Like 1

You're mistaking cause and effect. They named the show "Revolution" and added 1812 BECAUSE the design staff felt Les Miz couldn't fill an 11-minute show.

Back on topic, I think Shaw's commitment to preserving as much melodic and harmonic structure from the source music as possible will serve this show well. I think Vanguard's 2013 show might actually have more in common with Cadets' 89 version than BAC's 11 version.

Sorry, but this post is patently untrue. Boston's design team did NOT add 1812 because Les Mis couldn't fill a full show....the title from the beginning was Revolution, and the design team actually considered pieces from several sources to fill the program. As a matter of fact, Bring Him Home was one of the first things they came to, in terms of a ballad production. Jay's comments need context. As an arranger, he had defnite motifs that he was trying to include in the show, and to "fill" a show and not simply rehash Cadets 89, the group was lookly for specific elements. Jay's point was not that Les Mis couldn't support a full show on it's own..it was that it wouldn't support the full show that HE and the design team were planning.

The final product seemed to please alot of people.

• Like 3

And for the record, I have no issues with SCV playing Les Mis....I'd rather hear recognizable literature than something which is off the wall esoterically.

• Like 2

Do we like this variation?

:lookaround:/>/> Now can someone EXPLAIN why I found this so GREAT? WOW was I impressed and pleased!!!

I went and watched 4, YES, FOUR more vids of them. (Guitar,Sax, Singers, Solo's, Amps, and all)

:rock:/>/> YET !!! ---> Over All I, ---> Do Not Like DCI Corps? I have never played / marched Band. Only Drum and Bugle Corps for over 40 years.

:smile:/>/> (Well, I do like Phantom and Madison most years, and sometimes SCV.)