Santa Clara Vanguard 2013

Edited because I was erroneously thinking about something else when I wrote the original response.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

I like this idea, a lot!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: And the timing is good with the Movie out and getting the reviews that it is getting.

I need new pants. This is going to be pretty great. Looks like SCV really is going back in time to go back to crowd-pleasing shows, and using Broadway musicals as source material. I shouldn't have to tell people on here that musicals are where SCV got their start, so it's only fitting that they get back to those. I expect great things. Rennick and Shaw together with this book should make good things happen.

Agreed. With what the Cadets are doing and now SCV, it seems like a lot of rinse and repeat.

Plus, did you see the guard staff? That'll end well...not. And if JD writes another watered-down horn book, don't even start the sycophantic #### about them medaling. It's not going to happen. EDIT: Before (oops, too late) someone starts being negative about this post, a certain well-qualified and highly respected judge from DCI/BOA who may or may not post on here said, "The music was designed for the level of players they had there." [paraphrased] So yes, the music book was weak...especially when they mostly played whole and half notes.

Which is strange, because last year, they had the oldest hornline they'd had since 2009, lots of 3/4+ year members in that horn line.... hmm....

• Like 1

All I know is it will take a lot for SCV 2013 to out perform 89 Cadets. I'm not saying it cannot be done, but the Cadets set a very hi bar of excellence for this wonderful broadway musical.

They said the same thing about SCV in 2009, and people sure did seem to enjoy that show. Living in the past, of comparing it to a past version, automatically dooms the new version. We don't live in a vacuum, times change. But expecting a new version to just be an updated version of the 89 Cadets show is not right. Let each show be its own entity, and entertain people on its own, without needing to match the old version. Maybe the Cadets were ripping off the 1988 Boston Crusaders when they did their version? And maybe 2011 Boston ripped off Cadets. But every show exists on its own, so just enjoy it without comparing it to another show that happened before any of the current members of either corps were alive.

• Like 4