Santa Clara Vanguard 2013

And Boston is standing to the side going...where's the hype from when we did it? lookaround.gif

Still, a great show concept!thumbup.gif

This.

Certain corps get hyped...others do not.

"The (insert G7 corps here) is proud to announce their 2013 Program, "Little Red Riding Hood--One Woman's Struggle to Overcome her Mad World of Demons"....

Oh, THEY will medal for sure this year! They are for REAL this year! With (insert staff member of some other corps who placed 15th) on board, they will be incredible this year! With the Butcher, the Baker, and the Candlestick Maker on the design team, and an average corps membership age 21.9, they will be unstoppable.....blah, blah, blah.

Seriously?

• Like 3

Be interesting to see SCV and Cadets2 at the same show to compare charts, as both are doing Les Miz.

I don't understand how anybody could be miserable listening to Les Miserables.

First of all, great show pick SCV. What I loved most about 2012's show was that it felt like a SCV show from the past yet it had a contemporary feel to it as well. I hoped this would be sign of things for the future and with the most recent announcement, I'm thinking Phantom, Miss Saigon classic SCV. With the release of the film yesterday, they could put a new spin on it that will not be a copy of Cadets 88 show. It could be a must see show. I'm thinking the SCV of SCV's glory days may be returning.

Now as far as BAC comparisons are concerned, no doubt if SCV decides to use "Bring Him Home" it will be compared to the 2011 BAC show since it was one of the most beloved solos, if not the most popular solo of 2011. BAC did set a standard. However, the two shows will probably be like comparing apples and oranges. In 2011, BAC used the music of Les Miserables as well as the 1812 Overture to create "Revolution" which was not a retelling of Les Miserables so to speak. They may be using the same music, but if SCV is recreating Les Mis the way it did Phantom in 88 and 89, it won't be the same show. 2013 SCV's greatest challenge may be the same as 2011 BAC's--taking music that is a favorite of many in the stands and perhaps the judges too, and presenting it in a creative way that will appeal to audiences while meeting the expectation of judges.

• Like 2

I don't understand how anybody could be miserable listening to Les Miserables.

Me neither. I was just commenting on hearing two takes on the same basic music. Kind of like the 1979 DCI prelims hearing the Blue Stars, North Star, Cavies and Garfield all do "Children of Sanchez". :smile:

Loved SCV last year, as I have most years; it should be interesting to see what they do with the source music. C2 did a great job with their show last year, and with a year behind them, they should be even better in 2013.

• Like 1

Yeah. That Phantom retread of Spartacus in 2008 was a real dud. SCV's Scheherazade was a yawner repeat of Spirit's version. Madison's Jesus Christ Superstar, well, you could hardly sit throught it, the retread that it was. Yes, repeats seldom work.

Much better to play some unlistenable Philip Glass crap.

:worthy:/>

• Like 1

The fact that you know which show I'm talking about, when it was performed, and what place it got argues otherwise.

Placement =/= timelessness.

My only point is that it is very, very rare that a re-do exceeds the original. It just seems like lazy design to choose such ubiquitous music, when you know that it is constantly going to be compared to the "original." Do something new and awesome.

Good luck to all corps, especially Vanguard, which is one of my favorites!

look, 89 Cadets, even in 5th place is a classic...we all know that. But there's a ton of material in the show Cadets didn't even scrape. Sure, those of us around for a longtime will immediately compare it to 89 ( no offense to the other versions done, but 89 is the standard bearer...hell Cadets2 are doing it this year too, and lord knows people will expect them to be 89 all over again).

Trust this staff...ya know, guys that did that retreqad in 2008 that, oh I dunno, won the sheets and the hearts of fans worldwide....to put together an awesome show, with a Vanguard yell built in, that will thrill fans from coast to coast and better yet, create a show you don't need to spend hours of research to understand.

and hey...SCV and Broadway works.

• Like 2

This.

Certain corps get hyped...others do not.

"The (insert G7 corps here) is proud to announce their 2013 Program, "Little Red Riding Hood--One Woman's Struggle to Overcome her Mad World of Demons"....

Don't give George ideas

• Like 1