Santa Clara Vanguard 2013

Oh my what big font you have! Read the book decades ago, saw the play live 2-3 decades ago. Looking forward to traveling to a drum corps show again : )

I have bad eye's and it helps to use the larger print. Then add I can not type worth a darn. Also helps me catch other errors in grammer and such. ( well, some anyway)

But that is how I feel. SCV seems to have a way with these total concept shows. (Like Fiddler/Phantom etc.)

Edited by 2B or not 2B

This is a good post. Can't argue with it, I just wish that everyone would try to do something completely new every year. Makes things more interesting, and DCI could use a bit more "interesting."

honestly, going for something new every year has turned out far more clunkers, and driven fans away. Some new, with some tried and true, is usually a fan pleaser.

• Like 4

honestly, going for something new every year has turned out far more clunkers, and driven fans away. Some new, with some tried and true, is usually a fan pleaser.

Like SCV last year. The Planets and Phantom of the Opera aren't exactly new territory, but Hymn to a Blue Hour and Leonardo Dreams of His Flying Machine were relatively new charts, Blue Hour had only been done once before by Oregon Crusaders.

SCV re did Phantom of the Opera, that worked out. Blue Devils won 2 championships with Spanish Fantasy I and IV and Channel One Suite. 1976, 1986 and 1986,1994. Again that worked out. Let's see oh yeah...Phantom Regiment doing Spartacus. Ironically, BD 76, 86, 94, SCV 1989 and Phantom 2008 cited widely as their favorite shows.

• Like 2

Like SCV last year. The Planets and Phantom of the Opera aren't exactly new territory, but Hymn to a Blue Hour and Leonardo Dreams of His Flying Machine were relatively new charts, Blue Hour had only been done once before by Oregon Crusaders.

thats why in many ways, the 80's have some of the all time best shows, top to bottom. Some corps went out there, and tried to go boldly where few went before, others touched on stuff already done...and you had shows that got greatreactions top to bottom. then in the90's, you had lots of shows that were new for the sake of new, and even more so since the turn of the century. thats why recent years like 08, 09 and 11 stand out because yeah, you had the new stuff, but you also had some old stuff brought out, dusted off, and updated.

Let's face it, les Miz is hot again with the movie. I'm actually shocked that went the Phantom movie came out, nobody rolled that out, but then again, I think les Miz lends itself better to the field that Phantom does...and then again, synths weren't legal yet when Phantom came out.

I will say this....if Miss Saigon comes out in movie form, and SCV doesn't do it, I'll be royally ######.

• Like 2

Eh, I'm not too concerned with that. Safe is death.

I dunno...safe in 09 sold a #### load of merchandise. same for Cadets that year, and Madison in 2010. A win doesn't always translate into more money or fan support which usually leads to more money.

I mean, you go back and look at many classic SCV shows...it was music done before in drum corps, sometimes even by SCV themselves. Must not have been too bad for them... no other corps can say they have ben in finals every year since finals started

• Like 3

That's why revivals never make money.

-Mike

Revivals are great, if you want to sell t-shirts.

Revivals are, in my opinion, not great from an artistic perspective. That's all!

ANYWAY, good luck to SCV this year! I thought long and hard about joining this corps when I was choosing as a 15 year old, but their location (on the opposite coast) was just too inconvenient.