My Open Letter to the "G7" and the activity as a whole

I have to believe that at least some of the other six directors are backing Hop because for now it's the more lucrative place to be. And if he does manage to wrest control of DCI in some manner, they'll be better off to have supported him. As it is, they've all benefited financially from the TOC semi-compromise, and I'm guessing they think the MIMPA shows will be even more lucrative (certainly the show in DeKalb at NIU's stadium will make more money than the TOC show in at Boylan High School's terrible, cramped, and small stadium could have--and the Buffalo show will almost certainly do well, attendance-wise, given the lack of shows most years in that area).

So from their POV, presuming most fans have no clue what's going on behind the scenes (which is undoubtedly true), their best move is to let the person with the most energy for this idea and the most willingness to stir things up take the lead, and try to finagle more control, and thus cement their ability to milk DCI for whatever it's worth while the activity falls apart around them. (Note, I'm not saying that their control of DCI would necessarily *lead* to the activity falling apart. I'm saying, they believe the activity *already is* falling apart, and that participation in the G7 and its control over DCI is their best chance to survive as long as possible.)

Then, if it comes to a split, I think they re-assess, and as has been pointed out by others, some or most of them may well choose to stick with DCI in that situation. And if so, then their public silence so far makes it far easier to get back into the good graces of DCI at that time.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

The looming question is if the other six directors/organizations - or if even one of them - disagrees with Hopkins letter (even a small portion of it), then shame on him for sending it without 100% consensus, and shame on them for not calling him on the carpet.

Then again.... Mr. Hopkins has not been the greatest at building consensus.

So which is it? Is there some sort of invidious, super-natural mind control going on here where one director forces the other six to consent? Extortion maybe? Or perhaps a hoax? Or - it's a reasonable alternative - there actually is consensus among the seven?

HH

• Like 2

The letter from Hopkins? Did I miss something? I know the letter from seven corps on that date. Is there more than one letter? Because if not, it appears to me there's more than one author.

The poster in that thread said it was sent by Hopkins to the board. The writing style and content are clearly Hopkins. I'm sure they all signed off on it, but it's notable that he's the one doing the writing.

Kind of like how a majority voted for electronics but only one is to blame?

And yet, there would have been no such proposal to vote on without that one...

• Like 1

So which is it? Is there some sort of invidious, super-natural mind control going on here where one director forces the other six to consent? Extortion maybe? Or perhaps a hoax? Or - it's a reasonable alternative - there actually is consensus among the seven?

Or possibly the others are using Hop to take the heat while they get the extra money. Happens in politics all the time. And everything is politics. This is no different.

• Like 1

HH

HH - not likely super-natural mind control, but Hopkins has been known to over-step his boundaries and thinks he "speaks" for more voices than he really does at times.

Furthermore - I would be more supportive of Hopkins / G7 of they put forth a decent proposal on how to improve and enhance the activity both now and into the future. What I am tired of is the "my sandbox" mentality, and the "do it this way or we'll take our horns / drums / guard equipment and go elesewhere" attitude!!! Hopkins / Fiedler / Gibbs et all have enjoyed a decent career and earned a decent living from the activity and involvement in DCI. Yes - they are stake holders. Yes - they should have a voice. However the banter and "do it this way or else" crap is ridiculous, and in some ways lacks maturity. It also shows a pattern in Hopkins case of decreased credibility, and part of me questions why the 12 YEA board members allow him to act in a manner somewhat detrimental to the health of the drum corps activity.

To date, I've seen NOTHING from Hopkins / G7 directors that proposes future viability and sustainability of the activity!! Last I checked, most corporations / organizations who have boards of directors engage in proactive thought processes on how to improve and / or enhance their respective entities (in this case DCI). We've not seen anything resembling this from Hopkins or any G7 directors. Kind of puts their "credibility" on the same level as the U.S. Congress, huh?

• Like 4

The poster in that thread said it was sent by Hopkins to the board. The writing style and content are clearly Hopkins. I'm sure they all signed off on it, but it's notable that he's the one doing the writing.

And yet, there would have been no such proposal to vote on without that one...

As for writing analysis, I've been on the Cadets/George receiving end for a long time. Having read those, and having more than a little professional experience in this arena, there's no doubt in my mind that he WASN'T the sole author of that letter. That letter has committee written all over it.

Regarding "no such proposal" I'll say just this. If we're reverting to "original sin" thinking, then George is off the hook. It was Eve who offered the apple.

HH

• Like 1

What an excellent well thought posting. Lets look at reality, the 7 can not survive on thier own. They would like control so they could focus DCI assets to thier use but I believe the majority will not be lead down the path. Lets be real with the exception of 3 or possibly 4 of the groups, most can not survive on the few shows and with out DCI resourses. I am am sure Blue Devils, Santa Clara and Cavaliers (as long as the mayor stay in) may have the resourses, add to that list maybe Crown and it now becomes the A4 groups. Hopefully the 7 are not lead to their demise or atleast if they are they go in with thier eyes open.

Sould the split happen as many suggest the non 7 have much better chances of survival. This is still a largely allumni fan base and the numbers just don't add up for the 7. Sorry but the Cadets or anyone else do not have the draw or following of a Justin Beiber or even a single A baseball team beyond thier own allumni. Create an enviroment that all can survive and develop, maybe lessen the resourses you use if that is what not having 70% of the resourses requires and allow an activity that many love to continue!

I cannot remember the last time I read a proposal from George Hopkins that I thought was in the best interest of DCI as a whole. I'm sure there have been some, but I either didn't read them or have long since forgotten. I don't think he is evil. We're just unlikely to ever agree about who the activity needs to be serving and how that should be done.

• Like 1

I certainly hope there are some in the G7 that have some problems with Mr. Hopkins horribly written letter. While I can sympathize with some of the concerns the G7 has, Hopkins letter sounds like it was written by a whiney teenager that gets Ds in English. I would be shocked if all the directors of the G7 signed off on this letter as it was written.

GH Lightening Rod post. Do you really hate the letter or GH more? Would you have even known who "wrote it" if the OP had said it was from Hopkins Email? (which is taken as fact even though we have no way to know b/c It's signed by ALL the Corps.) we don't even know who wrote it but you assume anyway. Copy and paste does exist, we would rather assume Hop wrote it all than have it be a revised letter from maybe him and Gibbs or others... Why is that?

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2