Lam, Ivan

TubaPlayer

Ivan Lam

Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets, Tuba

Hello DCP, my name is Ivan Lam and I am a rookie drum corps marching member. To be honest, I'm scared and nervous on what to expect, because so much is happening in so little time, though at the same time I am excited to finally be able to take part in an activity I was only a spectator of several years ago. This is my 4th year in the marching arts, marching 4 years with the Mark Keppel High School Marching Band. Our band had very few alumni with drum corps background, so I was clueless as to what it was. The first show I ever watched was Santa Clara Vanguard 1989, and that was enough to draw me in. I made up my mind to become a part of SCV, moving from playing clarinet as a freshman in high school to carrying the weight of a tuba from sophomore year on being the first small step. For personal reasons, I was unable to audition my sophomore and junior year, but with the encouragement of two drum corps veterans, I was determined to audition and make the SCVC hornline.

I have never been to a drum corps show, so my first music block, and my first audition in general, with the Vanguard Cadets was a memorable one. I often hear the saying: "You don't choose the Vanguard, the Vanguard chooses you." Turns out dreams do come true, as I received my 1 at the Vanguard Cadets callback camp. Many obstacles have slowed me to this dream, but every hurdle has been jumped to reach my goal. All but one. With college tuition, a sibling already in college, my parents working around the clock to make ends meet, there is a lot of stress on money when planning for the summer. Living in Los Angeles, a round trip flight to San Jose can span from $200 to $300 round trip. This season's tuition will be $1850, but that is noninclusive of travel costs.

Please help me jump past this last hurdle, any amount will bring me a little closer to achieving my dream of wearing the Aussie and pinning on the Vanguard Cadets shield.

http://www.scvanguard.org/programs/vanguard_cadets/payments.cfm

Thank you so much!

Ivan Lam

You can contact me at: IvammyLammy@aol.com; Facebook: Ivan Lam; Phone/ text: (626) 864-3198