A Drum Corps Planet Milestone

Hey, I remember that photo! (That's not me - I was three feet further up.)

Mike

My buddy Bill is the one with the EarAmps. Mike was the one with the laptop on his lap. John was the one with the camera. I was the one unencumbered by distractions or equipment.*

Interesting story about Bill. I had an extra ticket for semis in Boston in 2005. Bill had played trumpet with me in a jazz band a long time ago. I called him at the last minute to see if he'd like to see this "band" show. He came. He came back for finals. And he's been to every finals since. EarAmps haven't been to the last few DCIs, however.

HH

*Not counting binoculars, water bottle, snacks, scoresheet, BlackBerry, etc.

John gave me a set of DCP Ear Amps and I've used them at multiple shows. I can state without equivocation that this little device is as essential to enjoying the drum corps experience as ears themselves. If it's between buying a set of DCP Ear Amps or sending your kid to college, tell the kid to quit being a freeloader and spring for the Ear Amps. YOLO

Back to the contest itself, I envisioned the approach of the millionth reply to be something like the finals of American Idol with fans trying to dial in as often as possible or, in the case of DCP, strategically timing their "click" on "add reply" to be the millionth posting. The millionth posting could be something to look forward to with the right game or "purse" in place. Obviously, it has to be something that gives everyone a fair shot and cannot be manipulated in any way. Maybe we could start by asking DCP when, based on their analysis, the millionth posting is likely to occur. We could tie the two events together, i.e., major holiday, significant birthday or historical event such as Guy Fawkes Day. Depending on what the event is, a sponsor might be found. We need three things: a contest, an event and a sponsor. I'll get back to you.

Oh - the tangled web we weave .....

All true, Boo - except for the spelling of "Mr. C's" last name. Most pronounced it "Castronova" (in typical Chicaga-ese) - but it is in-fact spelled "Castronovo". Pointed-out only because I know you'd want to get it right.

Thanks...I would want to have that right. It's kind of embarrassing I got that wrong as I had visited him at his house a couple times in the early to mid 1980s (the one he built with his son on the extreme north side of Valparaiso) to take him up on his offer to show me how he wrote drill.

PS: I just checked multiple articles I've written over the year for BOA, plus the liner notes I wrote for their 2012 DVDs, and learned I've always misspelled it. I hope they caught that.

Edited by Michael Boo

Moon Pies and Goo Goos.

YK3RU2l.jpg

Ummm .... no.

Do you *really* think just being lucky (or manipulative) enough to hit an arbitrary post count would entitle one to this legendary treat?

No time "in the box" .... no Moon Pies or Goo Goos.

rolleyes.gif

I heard on the radio today that the 25,000,000,000th (25th billionth) iTunes download just occurred. We've got a ways to go to get really excited.

Ummm .... no.

Do you *really* think just being lucky (or manipulative) enough to hit an arbitrary post count would entitle one to this legendary treat?

No time "in the box" .... no Moon Pies or Goo Goos.

rolleyes.gif

This is true, I did not consider that. You poor people that will not know such an experience...

This is true, I did not consider that. You poor people that will not know such an experience...

I consider myself humbled and privileged to be an honorary Moon Pie recipient. :tongue: