"Tour of Champions" 2013

Got an email from Carolina Crown telling me that "Tour of Champions" tickets were available for three of the seven planned shows. See the ticket purchase page here to see that all but one of the shows is named "Tour of Champions", and they're using the DCI logo, etc.

Not sure what to think of this. Using DCI's logo and branding, but being sold on CrownTickets. The text all sounds like the same overdone formula from the past two years of ToC events, and doesn't mention any of the new Music in Motion "innovations" I'd been reading about prior to the annual meeting.

Is this some indication of returning to the old structure now that the "7" have representation on the board? Or is this still going to be funneling money into MIMPA, Inc as insurance for when the "7" decide they want to threaten to split again? Or did they use the DCI logo and "Tour of Champions" brand without permission, hoping no one would call them on it? Or... [insert your own conspiracy here].

Nothing to see here that hasn't already been bashed to death in the other G7 threads.

The 7 have always proposed using Crown as ticketing agent, so no news there.

The 7 are producing the 6 shows entirely on their own, so it makes sense for them to have MiM through which they can contract with DCI.

Not sure of how the legalities work, separating liability, etc but this is exactly what was planned, and the other directors agreed to, in order to test the G7's proposition that they can run shows better and more profitably than DCI, and that they don't need no stinkin' 8 - 22 place corps mucking up their plans (sorry, couldn't help myself).

I'm mostly ticked that they get to use the DCI brand but, after all, they are still DCI member corps so my feelings are just mine.

Show format, attendance, and net profit... those are the determiners of whether this scheme continues in future years, shrinks into obscurity, or proves the concept that the 7 have been promoting.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

I'm mostly ticked that they get to use the DCI brand but, after all, they are still DCI member corps so my feelings are just mine.

The " DCI brand " will be where the battle will fought in the future, imo... should a group of 4-7 Corps decide to leave DCI and run a presumably 40 year long competitive traveling tour with the same 4-7 Corps. Right now, even if the MIM proves to be a financial success it is still done unnder the umbrella of DCI. I'd imagine that without that DCI umbrella one could become all wet pretty quickly without it.

Here's the thing to keep in mind too, imo : when Corps compete on the field of competition, that competition will ultimately take place OFF the field in due time as well. No collective group that goes off on their own in some sort of a collective gesture will remain a collective for long, once the collective are then INDIVIDUALLY scored in competition vs. one another. This is not rocket science, its human nature. If the Corps that finishes 1st in the collective wins presumably more of the gate receipts than the 7th place unit does, in quick time that 7th place and 1st place Corps will quickly become competitors off the field as well. Why ? Because there is money involved, thats why. And the smaller that pool of money, the keener the competition will be for a bigger slice of it. So this will all be interesting to watch play out if nothing else.

• Like 1

Can't disagree, Brasso, but there is another option to consider as well...

We (well, I) know of nothing that prevents the G7 from continuing to run their shows under the DCI unbrella and brand. Even if it's wildly popular and profitable. If the 7 succeed, they attain what they wanted to start with: a separation from the 8 - 22 even if they stay in DCI.

You'd think that the other directors would bristle and balk at the 7 continuing to capitalize on DCI's brand while they profit and grow their venture but, it could be, that the other directors will be fine just being associated with the "Big Show" and willing to sit back and collect the crumbs that fall their way.

I don't like to think that the other directors will just lie back and allow DCI's brand to be pilfered for free, but I have no knowledge of the contrary either.

In fact, I have no knowledge at all.:whistle:/>

I guess that's what my question is. What does that DCI logo mean? Board approval of an arbitrary-seven-corps subtour? Or did they just hork the logo and name without asking?

Can't disagree, Brasso, but there is another option to consider as well...

We (well, I) know of nothing that prevents the G7 from continuing to run their shows under the DCI unbrella and brand. Even if it's wildly popular and profitable. If the 7 succeed, they attain what they wanted to start with: a separation from the 8 - 22 even if they stay in DCI.

You'd think that the other directors would bristle and balk at the 7 continuing to capitalize on DCI's brand while they profit and grow their venture but, it could be, that the other directors will be fine just being associated with the "Big Show" and willing to sit back and collect the crumbs that fall their way.

I don't like to think that the other directors will just lie back and allow DCI's brand to be pilfered for free, but I have no knowledge of the contrary either.

In fact, I have no knowledge at all.:whistle:/>/>/>/>

The others in DCI might just be following the wise old sage advice to" keep your friends close and your enemies closer. " Personally, I think both groups equally need one another to survive. But... who knows, we'll see.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I guess that's what my question is. What does that DCI logo mean? Board approval of an arbitrary-seven-corps subtour? Or did they just hork the logo and name without asking?

I would like to think that no one could just randomly use DCI's logo without DCI's permission: especially DCI member corps. It's possible that the member corps are allowed to use DCI's logo (just as DCI is able to use any corps logo/pics, etc) however the member corps see fit: perhaps that's a contractual thing between DCI and its corps. I'm not sure I would jump to any conclusions that the Music in Motion corps are using DCI's logo without permission