Revisiting Roosevelt

sad that all we have are those wonderful memories........and that todays corps will never have that feeling of passing the clock when entering thru the laft field-center gate

Guido

Competing at the Dream at Roosevelt in 1980... at the time, from what I remember, we really had no firm idea that it would be the last Dream at that great venue.

The show continued... at Giants Stadium in 1981, Rutgers Stadium in '82, Bayonne in '83... then the reincarnation from 1999-2001 at other NJ sites... but it was never quite the same.

I'm glad I was part of the Roosevelt farewell in 1980!!!

Competing at the Dream at Roosevelt in 1980... at the time, from what I remember, we really had no firm idea that it would be the last Dream at that great venue.

I'm glad I was part of the Roosevelt farewell in 1980!!!

And I kid you not in telliny you that me and Wes Myers were the last two drum corps souls to leave Roosevelt that day with the wrecking balls looming in the air ... we got cought up at the Judges meeting with Goodhart and all the other Skyliners had already headed to the Salderini Post ... so there we were standing behind home plate, sipping a brew, with the sun setting, when a cloud of dust appeared and got closer and closer ... then a car dorr opened and Diane (Bobby Burke's wife) said GET IN ... NOW ... and we were saved from being enshrined in the yet to be built condos/apts ...

YAY!

:-)

• Like 1

And I kid you not in telliny you that me and Wes Myers were the last two drum corps souls to leave Roosevelt that day with the wrecking balls looming in the air ... we got cought up at the Judges meeting with Goodhart and all the other Skyliners had already headed to the Salderini Post ... so there we were standing behind home plate, sipping a brew, with the sun setting, when a cloud of dust appeared and got closer and closer ... then a car dorr opened and Diane (Bobby Burke's wife) said GET IN ... NOW ... and we were saved from being enshrined in the yet to be built condos/apts ...

YAY!

:-)

andy do you know why they knocked it down and built condo's? did they not use it for anything anymore?

it was a show in that stadium that when you went there and competed and stood on retreat you knew it was the big time. it had that big time show feeling.

:sigh:/> ----> Yes, you are right. ------> :worthy:/>/> :thumbup:/>/> :grouphug:/>/>

Edited by 2B or not 2B

andy do you know why they knocked it down and built condo's? did they not use it for anything anymore?

That's basically it ... all the sports teams that used to play there moved away and the stadium produced little or no income through its use ... then it just fell into disrepair ... lots of pics on the Internet os its glory and demise ...

Andy

• 4 months later...

Ah, the memories. I marched one show At Roosevelt - my first DCA Championship in 1972. Half the crowd was for Sky - half the crowd was for Cabs - no one much in the crowd was for anyone else. Arguably one of the best DCA competitions ever. Also one of the best ever DCA finishes for my Hamburg Kingsmen.

We got on the buses after retreat, drank all our beer by about 4am, then stopped at an all night diner somewhere in the middle of the Southern Tier of NY for breakfast. Two bus loads of intoxicated senior drum corps folks (mostly guys) and two waitresses. They were very happy to see us leave:))

• Like 1

Ah, the memories. I marched one show At Roosevelt - my first DCA Championship in 1972. Half the crowd was for Sky - half the crowd was for Cabs - no one much in the crowd was for anyone else. Arguably one of the best DCA competitions ever. Also one of the best ever DCA finishes for my Hamburg Kingsmen.

We got on the buses after retreat, drank all our beer by about 4am, then stopped at an all night diner somewhere in the middle of the Southern Tier of NY for breakfast. Two bus loads of intoxicated senior drum corps folks (mostly guys) and two waitresses. They were very happy to see us leave:))

Thanks for that Roger. It brought back some memories of Sky heading into Boston some years back. Don't remember if it was Mission Drums or the Heartfund Invitational. Anyway, we pulled into the area around 6AM or so and found one diner open with only the owner and one cook as staff at the time ( hey it WAS a Saturday ). So 2 bus loads of well primed and hungry guys pile into the diner. The owner almost fell over when he saw the crowd. About 7 or 8 guys volunteered to help with the orders, serving, cooking, etc. and even wrote out checks for all of us. Of course, Red Harrison was helping to man the cash register and we all paid our bills, although I don't remember having such a wonderful breakfast for only 50 cents, ever again! As we were leaving, the owner came by to thank us for all the help and wish us well in the contest. I can only imagine his demeanor after he totaled out the cash register. Merely another childish prank, as Ruocco would say.

Just another day in the life of Senior drum corps way back when. ( and you KNOW that EVERY corps did it, when they could! )

Ray

Thanks for that Roger. It brought back some memories of Sky heading into Boston some years back. Don't remember if it was Mission Drums or the Heartfund Invitational. Anyway, we pulled into the area around 6AM or so and found one diner open with only the owner and one cook as staff at the time ( hey it WAS a Saturday ). So 2 bus loads of well primed and hungry guys pile into the diner. The owner almost fell over when he saw the crowd. About 7 or 8 guys volunteered to help with the orders, serving, cooking, etc. and even wrote out checks for all of us. Of course, Red Harrison was helping to man the cash register and we all paid our bills, although I don't remember having such a wonderful breakfast for only 50 cents, ever again! As we were leaving, the owner came by to thank us for all the help and wish us well in the contest. I can only imagine his demeanor after he totaled out the cash register. Merely another childish prank, as Ruocco would say.

Just another day in the life of Senior drum corps way back when. ( and you KNOW that EVERY corps did it, when they could! )

Ray

Ray, quite true.

Each corps had people who were certified experts at finding "discounts"... even without coupons!!! :tongue:

• Like 1