Cleaning stained rims?

MikeN

I'm cleaning up an old Dynasty snare, and the bottom rim (powder coated silver - basic finish) is pretty old and worn. It's got some pretty strong discoloration that I'm trying to mitigate. I've tried water and a cloth, and then dish soap and water and a cloth, but I'm afraid to use anything stronger without getting opinions first. I normally deal in chrome rims - powder coating is a kind of new finish for me.

Has anyone had success with a particular solvent? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm cleaning up an old Dynasty snare, and the bottom rim (powder coated silver - basic finish) is pretty old and worn. It's got some pretty strong discoloration that I'm trying to mitigate. I've tried water and a cloth, and then dish soap and water and a cloth, but I'm afraid to use anything stronger without getting opinions first. I normally deal in chrome rims - powder coating is a kind of new finish for me.

Has anyone had success with a particular solvent? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

Hey,

What I am not familiar with is the powder coated silver finish, either. I can tell you that is I have always been successful with Wright's silver cream. It's never failed me on anything silver, and also has worked great on chrome and anything silver plated, and worked like a champ on every drum rim I've ever done. I've also used it on flutes, and it put very tarnished ones into looking like new. You can do a very small area at a time. It may be worth a shot.

GB