Our venues and stadiums

I decided to start a thread based on a memory from decades ago. The CNE stadium had an overhang that captured the sound. The ferris wheel and roller coaster were in the background, a dreamy atmosphere. It was close to Lake Ontario and we'd often negotiate with seagulls. Sometimes the seagulls won. We'd wear our corps jackets after the show in hopes of meeting other drum corps folks from the same contest.

The Varsity stadium, adjacent to U of T, was an intimate stadium with low seating and brick walls covered in ivy. When I was in T.O. a few years ago, I walked by the Varsity stadium. It has since changed but they kept one portion of the wall devoid of ivy. We had spent many a drum corps contest in these venues and watched wonderful corps that visited.

The purpose of this thread is to celebrate our past drum corps experiences in the landmarks that were our venues be they stadiums, baseball diamonds, grass areas or anywhere where there was a crowd who cheered us on. Dig out photos of our venues then and now of the performance places we liked or perhaps disliked.

It's a thread about the memories of the places we marched in.

Manning Bowl, Lynn,ma :)

• Like 2

I was fond of the stadium that held the Golden Triangle Invitational in Ontario (Kitchener, I believe). I also liked our stadium (George J. Vetter Stadium) in North Tonawanda, NY. Always enjoyed Marion and Butler and Franklin Field in Philly.

Good thread Linda...... It's hard to pick just one favourite. I too enjoyed CNE stadium - my first Championship win in 72. Marion OH - US Open Champs 72 but besides the field there was the fact that Marion was drum corps city and always welcomed everyone with open arms. Ithica NY - beautiful stadium setting. Madison WI - not only from marching there myself but seeing my girls compete there as well. Good times.

Kelly

I loved Whitewater and McGill ( minus the splinters )

Ill second or third Whitewater

Good thread Linda...... It's hard to pick just one favourite. I too enjoyed CNE stadium - my first Championship win in 72. Marion OH - US Open Champs 72 but besides the field there was the fact that Marion was drum corps city and always welcomed everyone with open arms. Ithica NY - beautiful stadium setting. Madison WI - not only from marching there myself but seeing my girls compete there as well. Good times.

Kelly

Thanks Kelly. Marion was always a treat to visit. Our first visit was 1973 and the city was bustling with drum corps activity. I checked my 1975 US Open program and it cites Harding stadium. We went to Indy in 2010, first time watching finals in over 25 years for me and I was apprehensive. We arrived late Thursday and on Friday morning Brenda and I spent hours at the park watching corps warm up. It felt good to be back.

The intent of this thread is to celebrate our venues and stadiums as many of these landmarks are gone or have changed. Could the mods please change the thread title to ‘Our venues and stadiums’? Thank you.