Instructors

The Rutgers coach took lessons from my 1970's drum corps instructors.

• Like 2

Isn't that the truth! Screamed at,yelled at, and kicked in the butt.

Discipline at it's finest. LOL

Isn't that the truth! Screamed at,yelled at, and kicked in the butt.

Discipline at it's finest. LOL

I had more mind games played on me. I still won't talk to that one director to this day, and that one horn instructor as well.

I had more mind games played on me. I still won't talk to that one director to this day, and that one horn instructor as well.

T.M. in 79. His yelling and screaming didn't do any good. In fact I told him so. It's just the way he was.

• Like 1

Thought about instructors too when I read about this dingus.....

Can think of a few screamers in the drill area but as long as everyone (including corps BoD members) got yelled at equally it was their way. At least they didn't flip out more when you talked back.

Memory of learning a drill rewrite late in the season:

"You guys look like you don't know what you're doing."

"That's what the #### I tried to tell you 5 minutes ago".

"##### #### ##### you should have tried harder (to tell me) ###".

Another "hired gun" pulled in when part of a drill went real bad one night for no reason:

Guy chewed out a woman for going to her correct spot when she should have been at attention (well she did get smart with him).

Then he comes to me:

"WHAT HAPPENED!!!"

Looked him it in the eye and said "Beats the #### out of me"

He blinked twice "Me neither... I'll watch you guys next time"

(me) OK.. sounds good

(more blinking)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

As I sit here thinking about the many I had in junior corps....I never really had anyone that would yell alot. I did have a band director who did that BUT our band program in that junior high was GREAT! In our corps we had a guy who lasted a few months and all he would say is, "I want to win!" It was all about him and even as a kid I knew this guy wasn't worth a penny as a drum corps instructor. We had another guy that was brought in to write our drill. First day out he starts putting us in a form. Then he moves us around to different spots and we all start looking for the drill chart. There wasn't one! The kicker came as he said, "okay now get into a circle and we are going to do the Trooper sunburst!" Lunch time came and when returned he was not there...FIRED! Our horn instructor then took over and started writing the drill.

I think certain personalities work for a group as long as they deliver. If someone yells and they don't know what they're doing, then that is a problem.

Dale, I think that is as entirely new discussion thread: worst staff ever. I think I could make some claims there.

• Like 1

Things were definitely more barbaric back in the day. Can't say I didn't learn from it though, both what to do and what NOT do do.

A few educational phrases come to mind...

Do it again, but right this time.

Play it more musical ######!

F***ing meatball!

You suck, you just suck, really... you suck.

Good times!

Now see, I don't ever remember getting that kind of yelling in BD. Downey, Moxley, and the rest were very good at getting to the point in a conversational tone and normal language...but with all the disapproval of screaming their lungs out and swearing.

• Like 1

When I saw the Rutgers tape, I quickly remembered a very, very famous drill designer who was let go from one now defunct World Class contender because he swore and hit a kid in practice. Wrong then, wrong now. But another world class corps gave him a second chance and they went on to win several championships and change drum corps drill history forever before the designer moved to a third World Class medalist. He learned, he repented, he grew.

My hope is that the same happens for the dismissed coach. My other hope is that the new AD and administration of Rutgers will allow a drum corps contest and marching band competition in their great stadium. Like Syracuse U who prohibits summer drum corps from the Dome, Rutgers isn't nice to drum corps most years.