Instructors

If you want to see a real explosion go to You-Tube and type in Sunrisers 1987. You'll get a real treat with Steinie going off on the corps. The fun part is actually hearing him explode...lol Trust me it is a real treat. :shutup:

Edited by Bucbari
  • Like 1

Absolutely. I remember watching BD for years on tour and noting how level headed and professional their staff was, always.

You acted like a professional, you were treated as such...that's a pretty powerful condition to be working under.

They also had the cream of the crop in member talent ...

You obviously didn't watch me in 84, then!

Edited by 84BDsop

Now see, I don't ever remember getting that kind of yelling in BD. Downey, Moxley, and the rest were very good at getting to the point in a conversational tone and normal language...but with all the disapproval of screaming their lungs out and swearing.

That's because you weren't in the baritone section... It used to drive Wayne crazy how long it would take us to learn a musical passage as compared to the other sections of the hornline! :devil:

That's because you weren't in the baritone section... It used to drive Wayne crazy how long it would take us to learn a musical passage as compared to the other sections of the hornline! :devil:/>/>

You understand why? The midrange were just freaks. Sopranos are drum corps. royalty! Well baris and contras, are, well, a necessary evil!!!!!!!

ONLY KIDDING!

You understand why? The midrange were just freaks. Sopranos are drum corps. royalty! Well baris and contras, are, well, a necessary evil!!!!!!!

ONLY KIDDING!

Yeah well the Contra/Tuba guys were better than we were too... Most of them either Music Majors or soon to be... :ph34r:

Baritones in the 80's just wanted to have fun! :devil:

Now see, I don't ever remember getting that kind of yelling in BD. Downey, Moxley, and the rest were very good at getting to the point in a conversational tone and normal language...but with all the disapproval of screaming their lungs out and swearing.

resulting in?

Wins baby...

I tell you what though - they may never have yelled, but they could make one miserable at low volume...

Absolutely. I remember watching BD for years on tour and noting how level headed and professional their staff was, always. They also had the cream of the crop in member talent which I'm sure helped keep things a little more sane.

But, it seems to be part of the culture. I once quit a staff because one of the instructors kept going off on members like a marine corps drill sergeant and the kids were really quite young and it was just totally inappropriate. I asked the BOD and the director to do something about it and when they wouldn't, I made it clear that it was "he goes or I go." I went.

It still goes on today. I was watching a fairly prominent corps rehearse a few years ago and the staff was so condescending that I just had to leave. The corps director is a great friend I've known for 30+ years and I was shocked to see that he let that go on. It just made me sick to think that kids were spending thousands of dollars to be abused in that way. Every one of those kids was putting out everything they had and the staff treated them like meat. It's no wonder some corps can never quite get over the hump competitively. They would all do well to watch a BD rehearsal and learn how it's done.

You reminded me of a (I think) related story. I had the privilege to work with (for) Jack Meehan one year and we had a tech going off about one young player (really young) who was a little slower to get things than some of the other more experienced kids. The tech was advocating cutting this young man and Jack dead panned in that inimitable New York meets Californa way of speaking "We could try something entirely new with him..." the tech perked up - interested, "What's that?" Jack, just as calm and smooth as can be replied "Teach" and turned his back and walked off. Priceless.

That's because you weren't in the baritone section... It used to drive Wayne crazy how long it would take us to learn a musical passage as compared to the other sections of the hornline! :devil:/>

*Sigh*.....blareitones....