Westshore Question?

Corpsreps has the show being held on Aug 26th ... same scores that you have ...

:-)

I made a typo....should have said Aug 27th. This was the Bright Lights show. Although Core-Reps has it as Aug 26th...DCA has it as the 27th.......The 26th seems more likely as this date fell on a Saturday and there wasn't a show the night before.

My source lists it as the 27th with a note next to Westshore ..."No score,timed too long".......looking for clarification as this seems strange!

Edited by fish66

My source lists it as the 27th with a note next to Westshore ..."No score,timed too long"......looking for clarification as this seems strange!

I wonder if someone added in the time of their bus ride home from New Orleans!!! :tongue:

I wonder if someone added in the time of their bus ride home from New Orleans!!! :tongue:/>/>

Saw the topic and had to check.

23 hrs 45 minutes on the way down from PA to LA.....

I honestly can't remember that show. Saw Garys scores and can add Lewistown (not Lewisburg) as it was the first time we beat the Buccs ever. But week between American Legion and DCA... nada..... Probably too much going on getting ready to go back to college. But can say it was a Saturday show as we would have gotten home Monday AM from a Sunday show and already did that with Canton/Erie weekend.

Any other memories get confused with an early show in 79 which was in CT. One that the sponsors supposedly didn't want a "second rate" corps there.Ask Big W abou that one.

Edit: Just posted on the WSM facebook page.... this is starting to bug me...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

You had to bring up the Fresh Air Fanfare fiasco, didn't you, Jim? :satisfied:

My first corps rehearsal, 16 years old, I remember getting the schedule handed to me along with all the other paperwork and bugle, the schedule read we were doing that show, I knew it was one of the "big" shows in the early DCA season at that time. Then at the end of the rehearsal, Larry comes into where the horns were rehearsing and reads us the letter we got from the show hosts/Hurcs asking us to disinvite ourselves from said contest because "...they didn't want a corps of our caliber ruining their fine contest". There was a lot of serious and understandable indignation, resultant bad blood for many years- and really, it lit a firecracker under the corps collective axxes that likely would never have been lit of not for the good ole Hurcs and that letter. When we were tired or flagging, all anyone had to do had to do was bring that letter up. Teachable moment there, folks- when you got a sleeping dog, let it lie instead of kicking it. :cool:

Needless to say, when we knocked them out at Scranton that season, we felt more than a bit vindicated.

You had to bring up the Fresh Air Fanfare fiasco, didn't you, Jim? :satisfied:/>

My first corps rehearsal, 16 years old, I remember getting the schedule handed to me along with all the other paperwork and bugle, the schedule read we were doing that show, I knew it was one of the "big" shows in the early DCA season at that time. Then at the end of the rehearsal, Larry comes into where the horns were rehearsing and reads us the letter we got from the show hosts/Hurcs asking us to disinvite ourselves from said contest because "...they didn't want a corps of our caliber ruining their fine contest". There was a lot of serious and understandable indignation, resultant bad blood for many years- and really, it lit a firecracker under the corps collective axxes that likely would never have been lit of not for the good ole Hurcs and that letter. When we were tired or flagging, all anyone had to do had to do was bring that letter up. Teachable moment there, folks- when you got a sleeping dog, let it lie instead of kicking it. :cool:/>

Needless to say, when we knocked them out at Scranton that season, we felt more than a bit vindicated.

Ahhhh "Brother Dave's" speech! :satisfied:

You had to bring up the Fresh Air Fanfare fiasco, didn't you, Jim? :satisfied:

My first corps rehearsal, 16 years old, I remember getting the schedule handed to me along with all the other paperwork and bugle, the schedule read we were doing that show, I knew it was one of the "big" shows in the early DCA season at that time. Then at the end of the rehearsal, Larry comes into where the horns were rehearsing and reads us the letter we got from the show hosts/Hurcs asking us to disinvite ourselves from said contest because "...they didn't want a corps of our caliber ruining their fine contest". There was a lot of serious and understandable indignation, resultant bad blood for many years- and really, it lit a firecracker under the corps collective axxes that likely would never have been lit of not for the good ole Hurcs and that letter. When we were tired or flagging, all anyone had to do had to do was bring that letter up. Teachable moment there, folks- when you got a sleeping dog, let it lie instead of kicking it. :cool:

Heh... in 1981, we (Sun) were not invited to the Barnum Festival show after being at the show for several years.

Ostensibly, the reason for the disinvite was because we were not so great at the Barnum in 1980. Fair enough.

Of course, in 1981 our opening tune was "Come Follow The Band" from the Broadway musical "Barnum"... we also played "Send In The Clowns" followed by a finale of the "Entry Of The Gladiators" circus theme.

In other words, a show tailor-made for the Barnum Festival. We also had a much better corps in 1981 than in '80. (Not really that hard to do. LOL)

My brother was Sun's director in 1981... I seem to remember he sent a tape of our show to the Barnum committee so they could hear what they were missing. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

Heh... in 1981, we (Sun) were not invited to the Barnum Festival show after being at the show for several years.

Ostensibly, the reason for the disinvite was because we were not so great at the Barnum in 1980. Fair enough.

Of course, in 1981 our opening tune was "Come Follow The Band" from the Broadway musical "Barnum"... we also played "Send In The Clowns" followed by a finale of the "Entry Of The Gladiators" circus theme.

In other words, a show tailor-made for the Barnum Festival. We also had a much better corps in 1981 than in '80. (Not really that hard to do. LOL)

My brother was Sun's director in 1981... I seem to remember he sent a tape of our show to the Barnum committee so they could hear what they were missing. :tongue:/>

That's great!! Your 81 show was awesome, and it was their loss! :thumbup:

I always got a kick out of the old guy that used to ride around in the little cart with the megaphone saying he was a "Personal friend of Harvey Olderman" and flirt with all of the guard girls!! Funny stuff that Barnum Festival (not to mention that long parade :blink: )

I always got a kick out of the old guy that used to ride around in the little cart with the megaphone saying he was a "Personal friend of Harvey Olderman" and flirt with all of the guard girls!!

Mr. Scully!!!! (I never recall learning his first name. LOL) What a cool guy. :thumbup:

Mr. Scully!!!! (I never recall learning his first name. LOL) What a cool guy. :thumbup:/>

Yeah, that's him,I forgot his name! Funny dude! I remember the first year we were up there and he's going crazy with the megaphone! "Personal friend of Harvey Olderman!" :worthy:

Kinda like Grace Pander from Death Race 2000 Calling everyone a "Dear friend of mine". :cool:

From the TCM official website, so this isn't breaking any DCP rules.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/191337/Death-Race-2000-Movie-Clip-Meet-Frankenstein.html

Even got Herman the German in the clip, who ended up as Gofer on the Love Boat and a US Congressman. :satisfied:

George Hayek is now kinda what Harvey was. By all accounts Harvey was a good guy who stayed out of the BS and the nasty stuff and just wanted to hang out with friends and keep young in doing so.