Memorial Day 2013

My first drum corps parade was Memorial Day 1959 in the brand spankin' new St. Raphael's Musketeers, feeder corps to their big brothers, the Buccaneers ... it was in Bridgeport CT and it was mezmerizing to this young kid ... WWI and WWII veterens everywhere ... every AL and VFW Post in the greater Bpt area represented ... Fire Engine companies and Police Troops from all local towns ... hours of marchers in line with crowds three deep cheering on both sides of the steet ... fast forward to 2013 ... I'll still be marching to honor all our fallen heores - with the NY Skyliners Alumni Corps ... two parades in NJ ... Hasbrouck Heights and Hawthorne ... who will you be marching with and where?

Andy

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

Not marching right now but might go to Hanover, PA to play water wagon for the morning parade. Depending on heat index might go to Gettysburg for their early afternoon (aka HOT) parade. Only a few weeks before the 150th Anniversay of the battle so who knows what might be in the parade.

Scottsville, New York I'll be drumming for the Scottsville American Legion Color Guard, the Blue Eagles!!! Plus I'll do double duty at the memorial in the rifle squad. Hot dogs and beers afterwards, it just doesn't get any better than this.

Not marching right now but might go to Hanover, PA to play water wagon for the morning parade. Depending on heat index might go to Gettysburg for their early afternoon (aka HOT) parade. Only a few weeks before the 150th Anniversay of the battle so who knows what might be in the parade.

Exactly the spirit I was looking for ... GET INVOLVED on Memorial Day ... I don't drum anymore but every year I march in a few parades with Sky's Alumni with my Air Horn or DMing when needed or handing out water ... or whatever is needed ... you don't have to be active to participate ... marching is honoring these heroes ... marching to me is honoring the Garbarina Mazarakos AL Post #1523, the Harry Condon AL Post #11, the Raymond W. Harris VFW Post #145, and my day will end at the fabled Hawthorne NJ AL Post #199 followed by some after glow at the Hasbrouck Heights NJ VFW Post #4591

It's Memorial Day ... get involved ... honor your drum corps tradition ... honor those little Posts where it all started for you ... honor the fallen heroes ...

:-)

• Like 1

My first drum corps parade was Memorial Day 1959 in the brand spankin' new St. Raphael's Musketeers, feeder corps to their big brothers, the Buccaneers ... it was in Bridgeport CT and it was mezmerizing to this young kid ... WWI and WWII veterens everywhere ... every AL and VFW Post in the greater Bpt area represented ... Fire Engine companies and Police Troops from all local towns ... hours of marchers in line with crowds three deep cheering on both sides of the steet ... fast forward to 2013 ... I'll still be marching to honor all our fallen heores - with the NY Skyliners Alumni Corps ... two parades in NJ ... Hasbrouck Heights and Hawthorne ... who will you be marching with and where?

Andy

I'll be with The Park City Pride in Orange, CT on Sunday and then in Westport, CT on Monday. Both are short, well-attended parades and manageable for us old-timers.

The Hawthorne Alumni are in Morris Plains, NJ on Saturday morning, and Hawthorne on Monday afternoon. I'm going to try marching at least part of the way in both, but my best parade days are behind me thanks to a back operation, hip replacement, and ongoing arthritis. My first Memorial Day parade was probably 1961. Hard to believe we're still doing this all these years later.

• Like 1

My first Memorial Day parade was in 1949, only four years after the end of WW II. It still meant something. Marched Memorial Days with the same corps until '61. After a break of a few years in the Army, I started doing something on Memorial Day weekend that I've continued since then. Wherever I'm living I go to the nearest veterans' cemetery (or civilian cemetery with a lot of veterans) and plant flags. It started when I went to visit a college classmate who was killed in Viet Nam and I saw that there were no flags or flowers on his or other veterans' graves. Just seems like the right thing to do.

• Like 1

I'll be marching in Hawthorne with the Cabs Alumni - we were rained out on Saturday. I marched my first parade in 1961 or 1962 - can't quite remember back that far!!