Drum Corps Experience on a College Resume

Was wondering what the thoughts are about how drum corps experience would relate on a college entrance interview where drum corps "only" equals marching band to the school officials.

When schools are looking for good grades and volunteerism and work experience, how does drum corps enhance an entrance resume?

Was wondering what the thoughts are about how drum corps experience would relate on a college entrance interview where drum corps "only" equals marching band to the school officials.

When schools are looking for good grades and volunteerism and work experience, how does drum corps enhance an entrance resume?

Hope I can help. I am a professor at the University of San Diego and served as the Honors Program Director for several years. As part of that, I reviewed applications for incoming students. First, there are not as many students who have any significant music experience on their resume as you would think. Of the 400+ Honors applications I read every year, maybe 40 to 50 had significant music experience. This makes them stand out, especially if they do multiple ensembles for the entirety of their HS career. This generally goes into a "talent" rating that students get on a rating sheet.

If you audition for and gain entry into a drum corps, you have to phrase it so that it doesn't sound like just another marching band. Instead of saying "Member, Blue Devils B", perhaps say something like Member, Blue Devils B, Open Class Silver Medalist and World Championship Semifinalist. That slight change in the way it is presented makes people stand up and take a closer look. For my kids who are both marching with The Academy this summer, I will have them say "auditioned for and gained entry into The Academy, a World Class Drum and Bugle Corps, World Championship Semi-finalist (and hopefully finalist!) 2013.

One last thing to note, incoming college students are rated on test scores, GPA, and a high school rating (1-5). These three things create a "score" that students are rated with and then offered admission. All of the other things - music, sports, drum corps - only really become important for borderline students or for students who are competing for scholarships or entry into special programs like Honors Programs. If you are applying to a big 40,000 student state school...it may not even get noticed unless you are applying for direct admission to a music school. If you are applying to smaller liberal arts colleges, it will likely be more important.

Hope that helps. Just a few things I have learned in working on the admissions side...

Jim

• Like 6

One might have to explain what drum corps is and why it's valuable, and while doing so, may mention the following: Drum corps...

...teaches personal responsibility and dedication to a group.

...demonstrates one's ability to stay focused on making something better and to perfect it as much as possible.

...teaches how to get along in close confines with people from all walks of life.

...helps build physical and mental endurance.

...teaches problem-solving skills.

...helps one learn to work with others on solutions one may not have thought about themselves.

...exposes one to different geographic regions.

...demonstrates that after eating for three months off a truck, one is not going to complain about dorm food, (even if we all know corps cook staffs come up with better stuff).

...teaches one how to take orders.

...pushes one to work towards a goal.

...enlightens humanity by providing entertainment for people one doesn't even know. (Quite selfless.)

...prepares one for spending countless hours on research; because after spending countless hours in the sun during the hottest days of the year, inhabiting an air-conditioned library is like a mini-vacation.

...shows school officials that even though one has participated in one of the few premier ensembles of its type in the world, they still think so highly of the college to which they are applying to want to also be a part of it.

• Like 3

Way Way Way past my undergraduate degree...I continue to list one youth accomplishment on my resume- Member, DCI world champion Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps.

It never fails to generate a question or two along the lines of the lines that Mr. Boo made, and I believe makes my life experience unique.

• Like 3

It all depends upon the University. I don't think doing Drum Corps is going to give one an edge getting into MIT, Univ. of Chicago, Cal- Tech, the Ivies or the Little Ivies. None of these schools have Marching Bands that the school or the students take seriously. Even the Marching Band members at these Universities barely take their Marching Band participation at these Uiversities any nore seriously than a stroll in the park. I don't see Admissions Dept at these level schools all that interested in one's Drum Corps and/ or High School Marching Band experience. If you are someone that got close to 800's on the math, reading, writing SAT's and while marching in the High School Marching Band you single handedly helped repair the Marching Band bus that broke down on the road, they might want you in their incoming frosh class. But it wasn't because you were in the Guard ( or played the tuba ) in either the Band or Drum Corps. Its the fact that in an emergency you demonstrated that could diagnose a broken down bus problem and repair the bus so its up and running again, as well as SAT scores that are close to being maxed out, that gets their attention.

That said, there are some Colleges and Universities where participation in Drum Corps might find a welcoming and knowing nod at some schools that might have people in the Admissions Dept that value Drum Corps and/ or High School Marching Band participation experience. I could easily see a case where Marching Band and/ or Drum Corps experience might just find someone at these level schools that might give you an edge over a similar type of profile student.

Edited by BRASSO

Cal- Tech... None of these schools have Marching Bands that the school or the students take seriously.

At CAL-TECH??? BWWHHHAAAHHHAAAA!!! If they HAD a marching program, the school itself would treat it with thesame attention it does the fencing program (which is to say...not at all)

And speaking as someone who's worked on their fencing team's gear...trust me....the "tech" part's a lie. All I have to do to get one fellow armorer into a frothing fit is to mention CalTech. NO one can screw up fencing gear like those guys!

Edited by 84BDsop

Back many Years ago I listed Boston on my resume and one of the people that reviewed my resume went to school with one of the DM and knew of Drum Corps. Got the job. Good luck have a great day.

• Like 1

At CAL-TECH??? BWWHHHAAAHHHAAAA!!! If they HAD a marching program, the school itself would treat it with thesame attention it does the fencing program (which is to say...not at all)

And speaking as someone who's worked on their fencing team's gear...trust me....the "tech" part's a lie. All I have to do to get one fellow armorer into a frothing fit is to mention CalTech. NO one can screw up fencing gear like those guys!

Scratching my head and trying to see where fencing has anything at all to do with the topic?

• Like 1

You might be looking at it from the wrong angle. Unless you go on a scholarship then you're not only a student, you're also a customer paying them for their service, and like any customer you should expect to get what you're paying for. Think about it. When you go to a store to buy an item they don't ask you how much volunteer work that you've done, they want to know if you have the cold hard cash to pay for it. Good grades I can understand, but if they wanted to know about volunteerism and work experience I would blow them off in a heartbeat. They're there to serve you - not the other way around.

I agree... (which is what I said above)