Drum Corps Experience on a College Resume

Just being a member of a group may not be worth a lot in terms of a college application. Highlight skills that might be translatable to 'real' life...leadership skills, for instance. Were you a DM? Section leader? Guard Captain? Bring out the real life skills that drum corps provides in creating your resume.

• Like 1

Just being a member of a group may not be worth a lot in terms of a college application. Highlight skills that might be translatable to 'real' life...leadership skills, for instance. Were you a DM? Section leader? Guard Captain? Bring out the real life skills that drum corps provides in creating your resume.

also good advice.

similar to applying for a different job. What skills did you learn in your last job that will transfer?

Very true. Have done a fair amount of interviewing over the past few years and you can quickly tell which candidates are along for the ride and which contribute significantly. Within reason, don't be afraid to highlight your individual contributions.

Very true. Have done a fair amount of interviewing over the past few years and you can quickly tell which candidates are along for the ride and which contribute significantly. Within reason, don't be afraid to highlight your individual contributions.

Good advice. In the college application and potential inteview process you have to learn to ( pardon the pun )a) blow your own horn, b) beat your own drum, and c) not be so guarded.

• Like 3

I went to my college class reunion a few years ago and was bored to tears. Just a bunch of stiffs sitting around telling each other about their percieved success. Contrarily, I attented my corps reunion last year and had the time of my life (granted some of it was alcohol induced) but it was great. There's a huge difference between a classmate and a corpsmate.

• Like 1

First of all, great post.

Second of all, this is in my opinion everything that is wrong with academia today:

If you audition for and gain entry into a drum corps, you have to phrase it so that it doesn't sound like just another marching band. Instead of saying "Member, Blue Devils B", perhaps say something like Member, Blue Devils B, Open Class Silver Medalist and World Championship Semifinalist. That slight change in the way it is presented makes people stand up and take a closer look.

Scratching my head and trying to see where fencing has anything at all to do with the topic?

I was responding to the school taking it seriously part.

Let's favce it, at MANY school of all levels, a marching program is looked as like the ######## step-child (the possible exception being JSU's support of Spirit)

I attented my corps reunion last year and had the time of my life (granted some of it was alcohol induced) but it was great. There's a huge difference between a classmate and a corpsmate.

You're so right, imo.

The high school or college classmates will never understand either.

They'd have had to have been there . But of course, they wern't. Their loss. (.. haha )

• Like 1

Scratching my head and trying to see where fencing has anything at all to do with the topic?

Adam Sage, now guard instructor for Madison Scouts, before that Crown, before that Cavaliers, and before that a marching member of Cadets did a finalist WGI show for Phantom Regiment based on fencing.

Whew...str-et-t-t-t-c-c-ch!

Have to help out those BDsop guys. They think a little differently :doh:/>/>/>/>

Great thread though both for those applying for colleges, post-college work, and the job markets today. If the trick today is networking, the drum corps links on FB and LinkedIn may prove very valuable for certain positions (not necessarily college applications.)

Edited by drilltech1