Saw SCV practive last night

...and I'm on my way again tonight. They are going to be a crowd favorite! The show is VERY clean as opposed to the same time last year (a little less difficult show perhaps?) and there are very few holes as well- 1 brass and 1 cymbal-

I'll try to submit some pictures.

Edited by KPinCAL
  • Like 2

How is the music? I hope they do a much better job than Boston in 2011.

• Like 2

The music is pretty amazing. They're using some of the same music as Boston, but using it in much different ways. They're also utilizing music that hasn't been used on the field yet.

...and I'm on my way again tonight. They are going to be a crowd favorite! The show is VERY clean as opposed to the same time last year (a little less difficult show perhaps?) and there are very few holes as well- 1 brass and 1 cymbal-

I'll try to submit some pictures.

Less difficult?

That’s concerning

I feel that if SCV is to move up, they need to up their demand greatly over last year so I respectfully hope you are wrong but I love that they are clean

Saw that Youtube video the other day - I don't know if I'd say it's "easier." (Then again, I'm a drummer.) There were some pretty sick horn runs buried under the melodies.

And it's hardly a state secret, but I remember the tunes being Look Down/At the End of the Day/I Dreamed a Dream, Castle on a Cloud, One Day More, Bring Him Home, Red and Black and Do You Hear the People Sing.

Mike

Less difficult?

That's concerning

I feel that if SCV is to move up, they need to up their demand greatly over last year so I respectfully hope you are wrong but I love that they are clean

On the other hand, if a corps gives up trying to max out the score and plays a less complex book that is more true to the music, the corps members may have a better time and could actually learn more, ironically. (I'm not saying SCV is doing this.)

Consider two corps; Corps A plays a typical fast-paced book. Corps B plays Copland's Music for Movies:

They play equally well. I think Corps A should logically win because they are demonstrating facility at the faster pace (or at a greater range of speeds). But Corps B may be more enjoyable, and may also learn more by focusing more on nuance.

And of course, they would learn it faster and may play it better earlier in the season. Here's to peaking early!smile.gif

• Like 1

The show did not seem easier than last year and they are performing much better than last year. Can't wait to see them progress. At the end of the day had me revved up. Boy is that a fun arrangement they put on the field.

Less difficult?

That’s concerning

I respectfully disagree. Their demand has been 'fine' recently, I don't think they would need to amp it up to contend, it just needs to be effective. Pete Weber is hit or miss for me. His designs for Ballet for Martha and Music/starry night have been very good, the rest ... bleh...

As a fan of the 2011 Boston Crusaders, I'm not sure as to what your motives are except to say it comes across as insulting one corps to create a comment about another.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 7

As a fan of the 2011 Boston Crusaders, I'm not sure as to what your motives are except to say it comes across as insulting one corps to create a comment about another.

Boston could've done more. I liked the show but they rubbed me the wrong way by saying the source music can't support a full show. It seemed like a cop out to try and justify 1812 overture.

• Like 6