the Pooh Bear Memorial G Bugle Jam, Bb Slam, and BBQ

HornsUp

We lost a good friend a few months ago - Doug "Pooh Bear" Kenyon. With a Colts/BD pedigree, he graced the ranks of the senior Kilties, the Royal Airs Reunion, the Renegades, and the Kingsmen Alumni Corps. He also snagged a DCA gold medal with his baritone soloing.

Although tributes to Doug were proposed, nothing has surfaced. So the Jim Ott Brass Ensemble (JOBE) will honor him next Sunday afternoon in Sacramento, prior to the Moonlight Classic.

This will be an afternoon of corps camaraderie, just the way Pooh would have enjoyed it.

BYO everything - a G bugle or 2, music stand & clips, food & refreshments, and a healthy love of robust musicianship. Bring everything you need to survive a tailgating afternoon in the parking lot at Sac State. We'll gather about noon, and hang until about 4 when many of us are scheduled to vol on the contest staff.

We will read & rehearse Jim Ott charts from the JOBE repertoire, and some other corps classics. A band instrument or two may get destroyed in the process - see what happens when a FH meets a BFH ! An impromptu I&E decibel contest is expected to evolve.

I will have TWO baritone bugles that Doug played, then GAVE to me. Feel free to play them, uninhibited as Doug would have. And if you unfortunately cannot play a bugle, just hang with us and enjoy the vibes.

Edited by HornsUp
  • Like 4

We lost a good friend a few months ago - Doug "Pooh Bear" Kenyon. With a Colts/BD pedigree, he graced the ranks of the senior Kilties, the Royal Airs Reunion, the Renegades, and the Kingsmen Alumni Corps. He also snagged a DCA gold medal with his baritone soloing.

Although tributes to Doug were proposed, nothing has surfaced. So the Jim Ott Brass Ensemble (JOBE) will honor him next Sunday afternoon in Sacramento, prior to the Moonlight Classic.

This will be an afternoon of corps camaraderie, just the way Pooh would have enjoyed it.

BYO everything - a G bugle or 2, music stand & clips, food & refreshments, and a healthy love of robust musicianship. Bring everything you need to survive a tailgating afternoon in the parking lot at Sac State. We'll gather about noon, and hang until about 4 when many of us are scheduled to vol on the contest staff.

We will read & rehearse Jim Ott charts from the JOBE repertoire, and some other corps classics. A band instrument or two may get destroyed in the process - see what happens when a FH meets a BFH ! An impromptu I&E decibel contest is expected to evolve.

I will have TWO baritone bugles that Doug played, then GAVE to me. Feel free to play them, uninhibited as Doug would have. And if you unfortunately cannot play a bugle, just hang with us and enjoy the vibes.

Darn, If I wasn't going to the races in Sonoma, I would come and play with you guys, I still have the horn I played in the line with Doug back in 1981 and would love to play on a horn he owned! Please everyone have a great time honoring a great man!

I will be with you, Bonnie and the JOBE in spirit. Doug was an extraordinary and gifted man and musician. Nobody who met him is likely to ever forget the experience.