APDs are up

First 2013 APD's are up on the fan network - anyone care to comment on the quality of them (not talking about the corps shows - asking for feedback about the quality of each recording)

I just purchased all of them myself - only listened a little. Kind of stunk not being able to buy them in a bundle like past years, but maybe they will put that up soon...I had no patience so I got them today :)

I'm reserving complete judgement until I listen to all of them a few times, but I am unfortunately getting a "2006" recording quality vibe to them - just my humble opinion, sorry if I offend. Remember the 2006 cd's anyone? The dynamic range was very limited, which made the corps softs seem VERY soft on the recording, and the louds not that loud.

Anyway, someone else chime in and let me know your thoughts...

leed17

I hear what you're talking about with that 06 quality.

Actually, this is one of those times that synth HELPS! At the very least it kind of orients the sound spectrum, so you can get a rough sense of where things are relative to that.

That makes a lot more sense in my head than it probably does written out. Basically, relative pitch.

Ok, either SCV brass is way sharper in person, or the processing seriously messed up the pitches.

EDIT: Just ran the file through Audacity and lowered it by 47 cents to get it back together. DCI audio engineers, I love you guys, but you might want to check this out.

Edited by hornandsoccer
  • Like 1

Where is the BASS???

Having listened to the on-demand videos from the Akron show, I enthusiastically awaited the APD's because for the first time in YEARS I was able to hear [and feel] the strike of the front ensemble bass drum. Anyone who has listened to DCI rips for the last 10-15 years and has a good stereo system knows what I'm talking about. I understand that with the addition of the synth in the mid/late 2000's, much of the bass has gone away but please leave something for us that counter silly kids bumping their rap music with some blasting DCI and hard hitting bass that makes us chuckle in their WTF moment as we roll by... [yes, I'm 34 and still blasting DCI on my daily commute]

In all seriousness, in the absence of 'drumcat' I don't know that we have a direct line to DCI as we used to, but if your making the APD's and reading this, please consider our request.

On another note, it is great to see DCI continuing my request of making a single ZIP file when bundles are purchased instead of one-by-one downloading...

Think DCI will be nice and give me a $15.90 refund now that bundles are up for $9.99/each? :rock:

Think DCI will be nice and give me a $15.90 refund now that bundles are up for $9.99/each? :rock:/>

I hope so, I just emailed customer support for the same thing. Cost me $42 for everything yesterday - now I could download both bundles for under $20.

Still waiting to hear if there is anything that is going to be done about the recordings - I just don't think they are at the quality that you would expect, but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't mean to complain, because I love having the early season recordings. I remember the days when we had to wait all the way until after finals to get a quality recording of each corps :) No early season, no midseason, no nothing :)

leed17

I’m pretty disappointed in the quality of these. I remember 2007-2009 being pretty much ideal for APD audio quality, wonder what happened.

I’m pretty disappointed in the quality of these. I remember 2007-2009 being pretty much ideal for APD audio quality, wonder what happened.

I doubt they get enough people buying APDs to justify spending too much time on them. Also, I don't think the raw recordings were all that great, at least based on the Stanford live stream, which was all over the place.