Nokesville VA Review

I've had this weekend on the calendar for some time. and I was ready to get on board my intergalactic swagmobile and hit the Drum Corps Planet. I'll be traveling later today up to Bucknell to check the scene out there.

I figured that I already had the tickets, the Manassas Battlefield is nearby and I've wanted to see it, as I am also a bit of a Military History buff, why not go and support Shenandoah Sound and the corps that were making the trek?

I know they all had to be disappointed with no number from the weekend. All of these corps are motivated to do as well as they can and be as competitive and excellent as they can be, and input and numbers are always crucial. Every dog in this fight had statements they wanted badly to make, and I think they were all made as best as they could given the circumstances. The real insanity is that the only input the competitors in Nokesville are getting are from the reviewers. Take it all with a boulder of salt, but there might be some useful stuff in this review. Lead Baris are crazy, but a smart kind of crazy. :satisfied:

For those who look to head down in the future to this show, you can tour the Manassas battlefield, which is fairly small so you don't have to worry about walking yourself to death, has some great maps and narratives about both battles which were very enlightening, and is a great slice of history to boot.

I took the advice and met up with Fran and another friend of mine and lunched at the City Tavern. Good beer selections on tap, extremely reasonable prices, very kind and friendly service, and good food. For dessert, we kept talking corps over at Nathan's Ice cream stand, where I found the Black Raspberry shake to be thick, tasty, and a fun experience.

The food looked and smelled good at the contest. Pork BBQ, and other delectables that I know the competitors were pleased to be eating instead of some of the same old Mickey D's. So, eating at the show is also a solid choice for travelers.

The Bull Run Troubadours Barbershop Quartet provided a great change-up for the pre contest exhibition and National Anthem. They had a nice variety of repertoire from several decades and composers and uphold the tradition well. Dick Pommerleau did a nice job on Lead. I filled in years ago for a practice with one of these groups for fun, and it's an enjoyable and demanding musical form. Really nice and fresh arrangements as well. It was a really enjoyable little appetizer.

I'll start with the following disclaimer:

There was no drill. Understand that the corps were playing in a standstill concert scenario, so we couldn't see the visual package, how it relates, the inherent challenges, and all that entails. Also, Yes- it's "early"-- the first time out for everyone except Fusion. I know there were some obvious musical croodles, some hung releases, and things that will get better as the season moves towards championships. I don't want to belabor that stuff.

Another general comment, meant for some corps more than others:

Please make sure that the duts and the guard counting out loud during musically tacet sections is eliminated by Annapolis, or done so that the audience can't hear it. The Drum Majors for the most part are conducting acceptably at worst, and are exact enough if everyone maintains their internal pulse as they should, and keeps their eyes on the conductor. It really detracts from how the audience perceives the performance.

Now, let's get down to brass tacks....

The lead corps was the Tampa bay Thunder (6FE/12 Battery/9CG/30 Brass/2DM) with their "Seasonal Celebration" package.

A very Wayne Downey- flavored "Happy Days are Here Again" set the table with a nice, fat- sounding trumpet soloist and Euphonium duet.

My favorite section of the show was their arrangement of "My Funny Valentine", which was exciting, fresh, and aggressively performed. I felt some early season jitters off of the young hornline at times, and when they relaxed into a groove, they really presented well.

The program continued through the year with "America the Beautiful", "Summertime", "Autumn Leaves" and a short Christmas Medley. the arrangements are very thoughtful, well constructed, and very enjoyable to listen to.

Overall, once the Mellos can lock in their pitch centers- the show will really stand out and take off. They have a tough book with a lot of challenge and risk, and they just need to listen across the ensemble and to each other and make the necessary adjustments.

I think there were some nerves, but really, when they get some groove and authority over the program, this corps will be looking really solid come Labor Day. They certainly appear to have the pieces in place to compete aggressively for a Class A finalist spot. I was impressed by my first view of the corps, and they have a lot to offer for the fans.

Next up, the Sun Devils(5FE/13 Battery/6CG/28Brass/3DM) with their "Dance with the Devils" program.

Shades of the old Muchachos in their opening statement with Clifton Williams Symphonic Dance #3, "La Fiesta", arranged well, and played fearlessly.

There were some serious slap-in-the-face impacts out of this corps. I use the term 'reckless' regarding their horns in a positive way. They don't apologize for what they do, they PLAY. They understand that it's so much easier to take things in a notch than to beg individuals to play out, and if you don't have the confidence in yourselves, the mistakes begin to add up. You never know where the real musical limit is until you hit it, and they're right at that very sharp edge at moments. I like the swagger. It's a healthy swagger at Sun Devils.

Personally, the big moment fans should watch for in this show is their arrangement of Astor Piazzolla's "Oblivion". They UNDERSTAND this piece and even early in the season, they're drawing deep emotions from the listener and really reaching out with their hearts. If they didn't get this piece of music, it'd be really painful to listen to, but it's a lovely gem for this corps. It could be a fantastic segment when you see them- be ready for it, breathe deep, and take in the beauty of the moment.

Now, all that being said, the Tubas have to watch getting too fuzzy and spread in timbre, and also watch their balance with the ensemble before the Grand Pause in "Oblivion". I can't just hand out only the happy candy this early in the season. They know there's still a lot of work to be done to get where they want to get. :satisfied:

The percussion feature is tangy, aggressive, but it might be a little long before the final push of the corps. The corps swings for the fences, and they're not afraid to take risks through the end segment, either. Their Drum Major is also a very positive conductor and personality who I could see really helps mold the corps' personality through his leadership and conducting. Stay that way! Fearless, reckless, aggressive- real hallmarks of this Sun Devil corps, and it'll remain to be seen if they can just refine the smattering of technical issues and make a run for the pot of beans in Class A. Whether or not they make it or not, watch this corps, and enjoy them to the fullest. They're VERY refreshing.

It's 4 AM here, I drove 290 miles yesterday, and I'm really starting to get a bit tired. :satisfied: A good kind of tired, but I'll rest up, think about the great day and show, and try and finish up the review between now and Sunday evening.

• Like 3

W, as always, a terrific review... and great to see you again!!!

I'll second your comments about the City Tavern... the prime rib was quite tasty. :thumbup:

Rest up buddy... LOL took me a few seconds to realize what FE meant.... :tongue:

Hope Bull Run/Manassas was as interesting as when I saw it in the 80s...

I've had this weekend on the calendar for some time. and I was ready to get on board my intergalactic swagmobile and hit the Drum Corps Planet. I'll be traveling later today up to Bucknell to check the scene out there.

I figured that I already had the tickets, the Manassas Battlefield is nearby and I've wanted to see it, as I am also a bit of a Military History buff, why not go and support Shenandoah Sound and the corps that were making the trek?

I know they all had to be disappointed with no number from the weekend. All of these corps are motivated to do as well as they can and be as competitive and excellent as they can be, and input and numbers are always crucial. Every dog in this fight had statements they wanted badly to make, and I think they were all made as best as they could given the circumstances. The real insanity is that the only input the competitors in Nokesville are getting are from the reviewers. Take it all with a boulder of salt, but there might be some useful stuff in this review. Lead Baris are crazy, but a smart kind of crazy. satisfied.gif

For those who look to head down in the future to this show, you can tour the Manassas battlefield, which is fairly small so you don't have to worry about walking yourself to death, has some great maps and narratives about both battles which were very enlightening, and is a great slice of history to boot.

I took the advice and met up with Fran and another friend of mine and lunched at the City Tavern. Good beer selections on tap, extremely reasonable prices, very kind and friendly service, and good food. For dessert, we kept talking corps over at Nathan's Ice cream stand, where I found the Black Raspberry shake to be thick, tasty, and a fun experience.

The food looked and smelled good at the contest. Pork BBQ, and other delectables that I know the competitors were pleased to be eating instead of some of the same old Mickey D's. So, eating at the show is also a solid choice for travelers.

ONly 2 corps ????

The Bull Run Troubadours Barbershop Quartet provided a great change-up for the pre contest exhibition and National Anthem. They had a nice variety of repertoire from several decades and composers and uphold the tradition well. Dick Pommerleau did a nice job on Lead. I filled in years ago for a practice with one of these groups for fun, and it's an enjoyable and demanding musical form. Really nice and fresh arrangements as well. It was a really enjoyable little appetizer.

I'll start with the following disclaimer:

There was no drill. Understand that the corps were playing in a standstill concert scenario, so we couldn't see the visual package, how it relates, the inherent challenges, and all that entails. Also, Yes- it's "early"-- the first time out for everyone except Fusion. I know there were some obvious musical croodles, some hung releases, and things that will get better as the season moves towards championships. I don't want to belabor that stuff.

Another general comment, meant for some corps more than others:

Please make sure that the duts and the guard counting out loud during musically tacet sections is eliminated by Annapolis, or done so that the audience can't hear it. The Drum Majors for the most part are conducting acceptably at worst, and are exact enough if everyone maintains their internal pulse as they should, and keeps their eyes on the conductor. It really detracts from how the audience perceives the performance.

Now, let's get down to brass tacks....

The lead corps was the Tampa bay Thunder (6FE/12 Battery/9CG/30 Brass/2DM) with their "Seasonal Celebration" package.

A very Wayne Downey- flavored "Happy Days are Here Again" set the table with a nice, fat- sounding trumpet soloist and Euphonium duet.

My favorite section of the show was their arrangement of "My Funny Valentine", which was exciting, fresh, and aggressively performed. I felt some early season jitters off of the young hornline at times, and when they relaxed into a groove, they really presented well.

The program continued through the year with "America the Beautiful", "Summertime", "Autumn Leaves" and a short Christmas Medley. the arrangements are very thoughtful, well constructed, and very enjoyable to listen to.

Overall, once the Mellos can lock in their pitch centers- the show will really stand out and take off. They have a tough book with a lot of challenge and risk, and they just need to listen across the ensemble and to each other and make the necessary adjustments.

I think there were some nerves, but really, when they get some groove and authority over the program, this corps will be looking really solid come Labor Day. They certainly appear to have the pieces in place to compete aggressively for a Class A finalist spot. I was impressed by my first view of the corps, and they have a lot to offer for the fans.

Next up, the Sun Devils(5FE/13 Battery/6CG/28Brass/3DM) with their "Dance with the Devils" program.

Shades of the old Muchachos in their opening statement with Clifton Williams Symphonic Dance #3, "La Fiesta", arranged well, and played fearlessly.

There were some serious slap-in-the-face impacts out of this corps. I use the term 'reckless' regarding their horns in a positive way. They don't apologize for what they do, they PLAY. They understand that it's so much easier to take things in a notch than to beg individuals to play out, and if you don't have the confidence in yourselves, the mistakes begin to add up. You never know where the real musical limit is until you hit it, and they're right at that very sharp edge at moments. I like the swagger. It's a healthy swagger at Sun Devils.

Personally, the big moment fans should watch for in this show is their arrangement of Astor Piazzolla's "Oblivion". They UNDERSTAND this piece and even early in the season, they're drawing deep emotions from the listener and really reaching out with their hearts. If they didn't get this piece of music, it'd be really painful to listen to, but it's a lovely gem for this corps. It could be a fantastic segment when you see them- be ready for it, breathe deep, and take in the beauty of the moment.

Now, all that being said, the Tubas have to watch getting too fuzzy and spread in timbre, and also watch their balance with the ensemble before the Grand Pause in "Oblivion". I can't just hand out only the happy candy this early in the season. They know there's still a lot of work to be done to get where they want to get. satisfied.gif

The percussion feature is tangy, aggressive, but it might be a little long before the final push of the corps. The corps swings for the fences, and they're not afraid to take risks through the end segment, either. Their Drum Major is also a very positive conductor and personality who I could see really helps mold the corps' personality through his leadership and conducting. Stay that way! Fearless, reckless, aggressive- real hallmarks of this Sun Devil corps, and it'll remain to be seen if they can just refine the smattering of technical issues and make a run for the pot of beans in Class A. Whether or not they make it or not, watch this corps, and enjoy them to the fullest. They're VERY refreshing.

It's 4 AM here, I drove 290 miles yesterday, and I'm really starting to get a bit tired. satisfied.gif A good kind of tired, but I'll rest up, think about the great day and show, and try and finish up the review between now and Sunday evening.

Al, you should read the whole review. He did say he will finish it later.

Al, you should read the whole review. He did say he will finish it later.

Yeah. I type slow. I can thumb away on a Piston-Rotor and can't type worth a lick. I'll get it done- but I am headed to Bucknell!!! :thumbup::satisfied:

The next corps to appear was Carolina Gold,(18CG/1DM/8FE/15Bettery/24 Horns) now in Open Class. Where would they compare to Fusion, and where will they relate in the pecking order?

Without the visual package, it'd very hard to tell with this corps. The show, entitled "Mission Accomplished", uses original music from the spy thriller genre. The horn score is pretty complex, and I believe relies on said complexity to sell the musical program. The Brass and Percussion have a real veteran, "Been there, and we know what we need to do" feel about them, which is exactly what you want to see and hear.

The guard seemed to have some people not entirely comfortable with their work, but it looked like a pretty well thought out and ambitious effort on their part.

I was left with the feeling that if I'd have seen the show with the visual package, the narrative would have been more evident, and the guard would likely have been a lot more comfortable and certain things made more sense with them.

Carolina Gold beat a strong Governaires corps to win Class A last year with a pretty intellectual program, and it's the prudent thing to err on the side of caution and make a very reasonable assumption that the total package that we didn't see will be well thought out and well integrated. Can they make Open finals? Most certainly, they have the ability to do so based on what they could share with the audience. We'll all just have to wait until early August to see where they realistically relate to everyone.

Fusion then took the field with 32 Brass, 10 FE, 2DM, 16Battery, and 24 Color Guard with their "Till we Meet Again" program. There are familiar tunes contained within such as "When a Man Loves a Woman" and the theme from "City of Angels".

They sent a very clear message at this show. In case any readers have been hiding or in denial, Fusion is no longer a well kept secret. They're very legitimate. Don't take this corps lightly. You're cheating yourself if you do.

One of the things that concerned me from last year was the feeling that the battery was young and not entirely comfortable when performing. This year, they perform with a lot more maturity and authority, and it adds more of a dimension to the ensemble than you'd realize until you hear them this year. The front ensemble even seems to have grown in numbers, but maturity and panache. I liked them a lot last year, but the improvement is noticeable.

The thing that truly gasses me about the corps is the hornline. I'm gonna tell this like it is. They're VERY well nuanced, very attentive to balance with excellent sectional depth, the writing is great and sounds perfect for the personnel, and the sound is like paint flowing off the brush. Yeah, they have fantastic feature players, BUT, the real test is what one hears what underlies that excitement. There is real steak with that sizzle.

I'm gonna tell you what I told them, and I mean it:

Take anyone in DCA, have them line up their best 32 brass against Fusions' horn line, and it'll be a pretty even contest. Some of them may even struggle.

The corps has a great attitude, they know they've achieved a lot- and I also can tell they're pretty sober about one thing, which is really important:

To move up from where they are, it takes even more effort, more improvement, and the slope become a lot steeper as the mountain gets higher. They seem eager to meet the challenge, and it reminded me of my days in the early 80's with Westshore in that way. There are gonna be good days, HARD days, setbacks, times where you find yourself tested, but you gotta persevere if you want to get where you want to go. They really seem ready and eager to find out what they're made of, and they have my deep respect.

I'll apologize to the guard again here on DCP. I'm a Lead Bari. Ask Eldon and Sherri, I know about making noise, trying to stand up straight, putting the horn to the box and trying to throw down as best and as hard as I can to make it happen for the corps and to get the crowd excited. I'm not a Guard expert, and I'm a klutzy dude as Jim Fawber will attest to. :satisfied: Hopefully I'll see the whole show with the drill and be able to come up with something to tell you then. :satisfied:

Finally, the host corps, Shenandoah Sound (6FE/13 Battery/8 Horns/2CG/2DM) came out with their smoky Memphis Blues Club program. Nothing better than Dick Pommerlau playing the blues and gettin' down. the 8 horns are missing a middle voice unless the DM picks up his mello, but the arrangements cover that issue where you're not thinking it's a detraction. I think the fact the guard comprises a couple is being made use of well, and I have a feeling they can get a lot out of those two individuals as the season moves on. They'll need to.

The show was very enjoyable, and you can smell that smoke-filled club as they jam on. I think the corps is working hard to get that groove, and will continue to loosen up and enjoy performing, and that will carry to the audience.

Talking to my friend as I drove back that night, there was one important thing we both agreed on. Every corps put forth a very enjoyable performance, even without the drill. No one failed, collapsed, or made you want to facepalm and shake your head. I want to see the complete shows of all the competitors, and I'm looking forward to it at Annapolis, if I don't see them again before that.

Where do I think they scored? If it were me, and I don't count, the placements would have been:

5: Shenandoah Sound

4: Tampa Bay Thunder (need more confidence- you know what you're doing, relax and let it happen!!!!)

3: Sun Devils (When they clean this up, LOOK OUT, everyone!)

2: Carolina Gold (Again I have a feeling seeing the entire package will make a serious difference for this corps when I see them next)

1: Fusion

I need to get ready to drive up to Bucknell, I'll get that review up and try and award some fistbumps at the end of that review for this show as well. :satisfied:

• Like 1

Great review BigW!

My question is...can Shenandoah find 4 people to meet the 35 member rule, or will they not be allowed to perform come Labor Day?

Great review BigW!

My question is...can Shenandoah find 4 people to meet the 35 member rule, or will they not be allowed to perform come Labor Day?

I'd think they have the people, Kyle.

Lord knows, if I lived closer I'd be crazy enough to do something to help. I'd think there are four people crazy enough that live close enough. From my observations, they find a way to shake off things like this.

IF I recall Sunrisers helped out Shenandoah in 2007 ,a few members from Sun marched both corps that DCA .

Edited by Florida Sun