The first competitor was Class A Finalist Windsor Regiment (6FE/1DM/18 Brass/9 Battery/4CG). I did a check. they were 54 strong last year at Prelims, the total is 38 right now. That was part of the difference from what impressed me with last year's corps. The show is entitled "Blossom" and includes music from "Candide", the theme from "The Rose", and a fair amount from Copland's "Appalachian Spring".

The run had issues. A tear, running out of gas at the end of the show- and sometimes, it felt as if the corps understood things in chunks and phrases pretty well, but connecting the ideas together into entire pieces and major segments was a bit rough. I know it's early. Those issues can be easily dealt with with some work and cleaning.

The framework of the show is there, it's not a bad show at all, but I felt more absorbed and engaged with last season's "Angels in the Architecture" program. My feelings about it can be changed about if the show comes together and is performed in a more convincing manner.

Right now, the slope is steep for Windsor to grab a Class A Finals spot this season. It's very attainable! I also know that I didn't see the Florida corps move. However, the brass sections and books of the two Florida units are a lot more substantive. Add the Govies into the mix- you'd be a fool not to or know something I do not- And Donny Allen beat me to the idea in another thread about taking account of the White Sabres. I'd also think the other Class A competitors are also gunning to make it. Class A is not for the faint of heart or those that think they can stroll in there. I just see that Windsor's work will be cut out for them to repeat as a finalist. They can do it, but it will not be easy.

I'll have to wait to get more up. Work was very draining and rough and I'm tipping over at the keyboard. If the Bushwackers didn't have me thinking so much- something they should be doing if they're doing things the Buchwacker way, and the fact their show had me taking a lot of detailed notes, I'd have posted it, but it will have to wait. :satisfied:

• Like 1

I'll have to wait to get more up. Work was very draining and rough and I'm tipping over at the keyboard. If the Bushwackers didn't have me thinking so much- something they should be doing if they're doing things the Buchwacker way, and the fact their show had me taking a lot of detailed notes, I'd have posted it, but it will have to wait. :satisfied:/>

I'm looking forward to your review :)

• Like 2

Walking over to I&E and stumbled upon Saints Brigade. At the time I had no idea who they were (I had just gotten off of tour). I was very impressed with the quality and swag presented. They got some drummers that is for sure!

Edited by AlbionNY Drum Line

As the Bushwackers (6FE/10CG/2DM/16 Battery/16 Brass/4 dressed individuals) entered the field, I was hoping that this year would take care of some systemic issues I'd had with show coordination involving the brass section for several years. I also was happy to see the recovery from what can charitably called a "near-death experience". When that kind of thing happens in life, you want to do something with the opportunity.

I think the corps is with the "We Are:" presentation. The show description reads like a mission statement about what they consider the essence of their corps to be. Different backdrops depict the corps throughout their history and depict each of those qualities. I had a bit of a wry smile when I recognized someone I went to college with on one of the backdrops.

The backdrops were one quick answer to my main concern. They've finally decided to present the brass in a frontage they can perform comfortably in and with authority and confidence instead of writing sweeping, deep and massive drill sets and expecting 16 brass to cover the area 48 horns would usually cover during the show and seriously overtaxing the individuals. It makes a MASSIVE difference for the horns this year. Whoever made sure that was done, I owe them a beer on behalf of that horn line. It wasn't fair.

The book has some very cerebral challenges. They'll play in 7/4 and some of the harmonic depth is evident in the book. the main difference is that the brass have been set up for success this season. they CAN achieve this book. Right now, the show is more readable and enjoyable brass-wise than they were the last few years a month later in the season trying to gather everything up at the last second before finals weekend.

The Bushwacker percussion battery of the last few seasons has NEVER disappointed me. They're still the big draft horse that pulls the plow, but they have less of a burden to bear this year, and I think that shows in their performance. They don't have that weight on them mentally that if they don't do it, they're cooked. I appreciate their musicality and the fact they're very sensitive to making sure they don't walk all over the brass section. The "all Big W" Plate section from last season still rocks out, and maybe they're even better than last year, which is pretty impressive. I'd say the highlight of the show is the " We are innovative" section's percussion feature, which makes great use of the metallic timbre of the cymbals and is not only imaginatively written, but very tasty and MUSICAL. :thumbup:

I did catch the "Perfect Year" quote, it made me smile. A nice touch.

Finally, just a pep talk to the horns.

This season, you CAN COMMAND the book and your part of the show and go beyond just trying to survive the performance and get through it without the fear of something disastrous happening. That's a huge mental mindset difference. On that tangent, Mellos, at the end of the show you have a nice 9 in the chord. Don't apologize when you play it because it's dissonant. STICK that sucka! Embrace the dissonance. Man, when we get the 9's at Westshore on Lead Bari, we live for those. You live for them too!

Bush can get back in finals. It's up to them to "BELIEVE" in themselves like the banner at the end of the show said. It will be very difficult. Carolina Gold was very proficient and I think comparable, and Sun- whom I will get to, is obviously right there with Bush as well. I don't envy any of those corps. There are only 10 spots for 12 corps if I have the counting correct and the back of my mind tells me someone that's very good will miss the cut. Right now, I have no idea who that could be. It'll be up to how everyone works and develops their show over the next several weeks and how they rehearse. My advice from experience to any corps needing to get somewhere and meet their goals, NO DRAMA. :satisfied:

Back later. Sorry this is taking so long, but the first reads I get of the year are the longest to comment on. :satisfied:

• Like 3

Back later. Sorry this is taking so long, but the first reads I get of the year are the longest to comment on. :satisfied:/>

See if you can finish this by Labor Day weekend. This will be my first DCA in a decade or so and I want to know what I should be listening for.

Watch out for some of those 9s in Westshore too. You baris get excited and blow them sharp from time to time. :)

Yes I'm kidding - I don't think I've seen Westshore since Orlando 97 ...

As the Bushwackers (6FE/10CG/2DM/16 Battery/16 Brass/4 dressed individuals) entered the field, I was hoping that this year would take care of some systemic issues I'd had with show coordination involving the brass section for several years. I also was happy to see the recovery from what can charitably called a "near-death experience". When that kind of thing happens in life, you want to do something with the opportunity.

I think the corps is with the "We Are:" presentation. The show description reads like a mission statement about what they consider the essence of their corps to be. Different backdrops depict the corps throughout their history and depict each of those qualities. I had a bit of a wry smile when I recognized someone I went to college with on one of the backdrops.

The backdrops were one quick answer to my main concern. They've finally decided to present the brass in a frontage they can perform comfortably in and with authority and confidence instead of writing sweeping, deep and massive drill sets and expecting 16 brass to cover the area 48 horns would usually cover during the show and seriously overtaxing the individuals. It makes a MASSIVE difference for the horns this year. Whoever made sure that was done, I owe them a beer on behalf of that horn line. It wasn't fair.

The book has some very cerebral challenges. They'll play in 7/4 and some of the harmonic depth is evident in the book. the main difference is that the brass have been set up for success this season. they CAN achieve this book. Right now, the show is more readable and enjoyable brass-wise than they were the last few years a month later in the season trying to gather everything up at the last second before finals weekend.

The Bushwacker percussion battery of the last few seasons has NEVER disappointed me. They're still the big draft horse that pulls the plow, but they have less of a burden to bear this year, and I think that shows in their performance. They don't have that weight on them mentally that if they don't do it, they're cooked. I appreciate their musicality and the fact they're very sensitive to making sure they don't walk all over the brass section. The "all Big W" Plate section from last season still rocks out, and maybe they're even better than last year, which is pretty impressive. I'd say the highlight of the show is the " We are innovative" section's percussion feature, which makes great use of the metallic timbre of the cymbals and is not only imaginatively written, but very tasty and MUSICAL. :thumbup:/>

I did catch the "Perfect Year" quote, it made me smile. A nice touch.

Finally, just a pep talk to the horns.

This season, you CAN COMMAND the book and your part of the show and go beyond just trying to survive the performance and get through it without the fear of something disastrous happening. That's a huge mental mindset difference. On that tangent, Mellos, at the end of the show you have a nice 9 in the chord. Don't apologize when you play it because it's dissonant. STICK that sucka! Embrace the dissonance. Man, when we get the 9's at Westshore on Lead Bari, we live for those. You live for them too!

Bush can get back in finals. It's up to them to "BELIEVE" in themselves like the banner at the end of the show said. It will be very difficult. Carolina Gold was very proficient and I think comparable, and Sun- whom I will get to, is obviously right there with Bush as well. I don't envy any of those corps. There are only 10 spots for 12 corps if I have the counting correct and the back of my mind tells me someone that's very good will miss the cut. Right now, I have no idea who that could be. It'll be up to how everyone works and develops their show over the next several weeks and how they rehearse. My advice from experience to any corps needing to get somewhere and meet their goals, NO DRAMA. :satisfied:/>

Back later. Sorry this is taking so long, but the first reads I get of the year are the longest to comment on. :satisfied:/>

Over the next few weeks, we will be getting the new mellos into their drill spots :) Don't you worry, they will be rockin soon enough.

Thank you for the very positive and REAL review. Appreciate it.

• Like 3

See if you can finish this by Labor Day weekend. This will be my first DCA in a decade or so and I want to know what I should be listening for.

Watch out for some of those 9s in Westshore too. You baris get excited and blow them sharp from time to time. :)

:laughing::innocent: LOL, we still do them in Alumni, Ray, and we only do one gig a year at Profiles in Brass. Tony and some other cats are there in the crowd. Lots of fun.

The way Frank Dorritte wrote, what happened later with John Arietano's charts which we use as well, lead baris usually end with a written Major 7 in the chord, opt for the 9 if you have the gas, lift to it if necessary off the 7. Usually a high B or D in G-speak, and yeah, in practice lemme tell you, Dave Fisher will give me his special stinkeye, smile, poke me in the arm and say "Don't do that again!!!!!" when I miss it. :biggrin:

Practice is one thing, find out where the edge is there, not in front of the payin' audience. :hehe:

:laughing:/> :innocent:/> LOL, we still do them in Alumni, Ray, and we only do one gig a year at Profiles in Brass. Tony and some other cats are there in the crowd. Lots of fun.

The way Frank Dorritte wrote, what happened later with John Arietano's charts which we use as well, lead baris usually end with a written Major 7 in the chord, opt for the 9 if you have the gas, lift to it if necessary off the 7. Usually a high B or D in G-speak, and yeah, in practice lemme tell you, Dave Fisher will give me his special stinkeye, smile, poke me in the arm and say "Don't do that again!!!!!" when I miss it. :biggrin:/>

Practice is one thing, find out where the edge is there, not in front of the payin' audience. :hehe:/>

Funny - I just finished being abused by my trombone when I sat down to read this.

I remember those notes...

In my head... not my chops...

hell he's been working on 1982 in the Westshore thread for 3 years now

:tongue:/>

hell he's been working on 1982 in the Westshore thread for 3 years now

:tongue:/>/>

If it weren't for work being like a freakin brick oven and the Trogenator I drank a couple nights ago after work when I fell into my apartment I'd prolly have had more done. I gotta go back for more abuse now.

Usually after I see a corps the second time I don't have to do as much since the show descriptions are covered. :satisfied: