Crown's Percussion

Thanks for the comments regarding the percussion section. I'm just trying to get a handle on the scoring process. I hope Crown can continue to work hard and clean their product. I understand the need for consistency and hopefully they willl find the right mixed to continue to make that happen.

Crown's percussion may be their weakest caption but its not the liability it has been and as long as the are leading GE, they will remain in the lead.

Yep. Several Cadets championship shows won a minority of the performance captions, but overall/general caption consistency, winning a few of them, and definitely winning GE will keep you in the lead usually. I think Stonehenge and We are the Future are examples, if my memory is correct. Look at Angels and Demons -- they won marching and music ensemble, but 2nd or 3rd in the other performance captions, and BLEW AWAY everyone in GE. It helped, too, that the other top 4 corps split some captions. Spartacus is probably the most dramatic example, of BD and Phantom winning some captions over each other by large margins, and someone manages to average out ahead.

Crown's percussion may be their weakest caption but its not the liability it has been and as long as the are leading GE, they will remain in the lead.

Not true. As previously mentioned, at 2008 finals BD won GE, Viz, Guard & Brass but lost Perc to PR....nuff said!

Not true. As previously mentioned, at 2008 finals BD won GE, Viz, Guard & Brass but lost Perc to PR....nuff said!

A bit simplistic. At finals 2008, BD won 4 of 8 captions, Phantom won 3 of 8, Cavaliers won 1 of 8. The spreads (in percussion, but not just there) put Phantom on top.

On Thursday night, Crown won 6 of 7 captions (guard wasn't judged). If they continue to do so, they can finish quite a ways back in percussion with no worries. One year that played out this way was 2002: the Cavaliers won all captions except percussion (3rd, 0.4 behind #1 Cadets), finished 1.85 above #2, and got the highest score in DCI history.

• Like 3

A bit simplistic. At finals 2008, BD won 4 of 8 captions, Phantom won 3 of 8, Cavaliers won 1 of 8. The spreads (in percussion, but not just there) put Phantom on top.

On Thursday night, Crown won 6 of 7 captions (guard wasn't judged). If they continue to do so, they can finish quite a ways back in percussion with no worries. One year that played out this way was 2002: the Cavaliers won all captions except percussion (3rd, 0.4 behind #1 Cadets), finished 1.85 above #2, and got the highest score in DCI history.

What is this "way back" everyone's speaking of? The spreads to BD and SCV were the same as they've been all season. I don't see Crown "falling back" in this pic. Seems to me they're hanging in there just fine.

yX8zXjl.png

• Like 1

0.2 behind BD and 0.5 behind Cadets, the only 2 real threats to a title. Those are pretty good spreads and I'll take them anyday. Remember, percussion gets cut in half.

Give this man a medal. Placements don't matter. Spreads matter.

• Like 1

And as I (and others) have previously mentioned:

this

Phantom won GE Music (putting BD's GE win at only .05) as well as Music Ensemble. Cavaliers won Vis. Performance to help keep Vis spreads a tad tighter.

Also, BD was 2nd in GE Music, 4th in Ensemble and 5th in percussion (i.e. a larger spread to Phantom). With BD & Cadets currently splitting 2nd placements in captions, that helps Crown out. Also right now Crown is winning everything else (which BD did not do in 2008), so Crown can lose by over 1.2 in percussion to BD and still maintain a healthy over-all win if tonights' caption spreads hold down the stretch.

plus this

Even if Blue Devils beat Crown by a FULL POINT in Ensemble AND a FULL POINT in percussion, with current spreads in the rest of the subcaption Crown STILL wins by .35!

kind of point more towards "Crown is OK currently and shouldn't be in panic mode with percussion caption."

When/IF Blue Devils clean this show without sacrificing the effect (i.e. if they can clean it without watering the vis design) THEN Crown might be in trouble. Right now that remains to be seen, and with Crown convincingly winning every other subcaption but the two percussion subs, they're in good shape, even losing Percussion AND Music Ensemble BY A FULL POINT (which hasn't happened, and frankly hasn't come close to happening (BD beat them by, what, .2 the other night - not NEARLY enough to make up for the other 14 subcaptions).

Obviously not if they just went up against the G7 and still won comfortably. Get over it.

Correction: They did not 'go up against' the G7; they are a member of the G7 so they went up against 'the rest of' the G7.

And as I (and others) have previously mentioned:

this

plus this

kind of point more towards "Crown is OK currentlydan shouldn't be in panic mode with percussion caption."

When/IF Blue Devils clean this show without sacrificing the effect (i.e. if they can clean it without watering the vis design) THEN Crown might be in trouble. Right now that remains to be seen, and with Crown convincingly winning every other subcaption but the two percussion subs, they're in good shape, even losing Percussion AND Music Ensemble BY A FULL POINT (which hasn't happened, and frankly hasn't come close to happening (BD beat them by, what, .2 the other night - not NEARLY enough to make up for the other 14 subcaptions).

Well, as long as you got it all tucked away nice and neat.

Or another point of view might be........

I ran into Todd Ryan about midway through the 2010 season at one BD's housing sites. I greeted him and began to gush over BD's undefeated season (so far) and seeming dominance. Without hesitation, Todd immediately responded with..."Have you seen the Cavies...they're amazing..and they're catching fire". I realized then...that a focused staff takes nothing for granted and it ain't over until the fat lady does voice over.:

• Like 1

Well, as long as you got it all tucked away nice and neat.

Or another point of view might be........

I ran into Todd Ryan about midway through the 2010 season at one BD's housing sites. I greeted him and began to gush over BD's undefeated season (so far) and seeming dominance. Without hesitation, Todd immediately responded with..."Have you seen the Cavies...they're amazing..and they're catching fire". I realized then...that a focused staff takes nothing for granted and it ain't over until the fat lady does voice over.:

Oh no doubt, and I'm not suggesting Crown should, or is, resting on their laurels. The most dangerous place to be is out in front, because you literally have everyone chasing you: it makes groups behind you hungrier, more motivated to improve on the practice field every day. Especially after tonight, where BD opened up the percussion spread, and beat them in Vis Analysis (sure, but .1, but every tenth counts). I still think that Blue Devils might have a better designed program, and when/if they can clean the dirt out of it w/out watering it down, it will be a VERY interesting race down the stretch!

No matter who wins, this seems to be the most exciting season in quite awhile! Could it be possible that if BD cleans up in August and pulls it out Finals week, that fans will revel in their underdog/come-from-behind Rocky-esque win?!?! :tongue: :tongue:

• Like 1