First post and a question

Hello, my name is David Larkins. I've been watching these threads since last year and I finally decided to go ahead and register. I just graduated from Gilbert High School. I played trumpet for 4 years in marching band, I also was in winter drumline for 4 years on multiple battery instuments. I have no drum corps experience, but I plan on marching Bluecoats next summer. This is where my question comes along. Do you have to have a previous corps experience to be a member of the Bluecoats? Because I know you have to to be a part of Blue Devils. Thanks again,

David

Hello David! I'm going into my senior year of high school and I plan on going to the bluecoats Ohio audition camp this fall. It will be my first time auditioning for a corp. I play baritone,but trombone is my main instrument.To answer your question, no previous drum corp experience is needed to march with bloo. From all the advice that I've gotten from parents of bloo members, age outs, and current members is that if you work REALLY hard and make a lasting impression, then you could possibly have a spot. I was also really worried about not getting a spot over a vet but from what I've heard, vets don't have a guaranteed spot and you could get a spot over a veteran. Just practice day and night and get into shape, and work really hard. If you get a call back, do even better than before and you could have yourself a contract! But keep in mind that if you start to slack before move ins, you could easily be replaced. Just go in with a positive, but not cocky mind set! Good luck to you and maybe we could both become bluecoats for the 2014 season!!

I'm not sure your "fact" about BD is true... but I'm sure that the vast vast majority (if not all) of them have previous DCI experience, just b/c it makes you a much stronger candidate.

I'm sure it is similar for Bluecoats, in terms of most of their members having previous experience.

• Like 1

Hello, my name is David Larkins. I've been watching these threads since last year and I finally decided to go ahead and register. I just graduated from Gilbert High School. I played trumpet for 4 years in marching band, I also was in winter drumline for 4 years on multiple battery instuments. I have no drum corps experience, but I plan on marching Bluecoats next summer. This is where my question comes along. Do you have to have a previous corps experience to be a member of the Bluecoats? Because I know you have to to be a part of Blue Devils. Thanks again,

David

No corps "requires" that you have previous corps experience, but it is something they like. I had never marched in a corps before and was able to march Bluecoats, so you have a direct example in me.

• 5 weeks later...