new vibes

I've seen the yamaha gold vibes before, but now I'm seeing the gold adams vibes. Thoughts on gold vs silver? They are basically the same price.

The Silver bars are usually a little thicker and can project fairly well at louder volumes. But the Yamaha gold vibe bars are thinner and are more reseptive to lighter touch and softer mallets which in an mic-ed ensemble are useful timbres to have.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

I've seen the yamaha gold vibes before, but now I'm seeing the gold adams vibes. Thoughts on gold vs silver? They are basically the same price.

Gold = best choice (IMO) for concert environment, mic'ed environment when using softer mallets and/or a 'lighter' approach.

Silver = best choice (IMO) if using outdoors, need to have vibe player acoustically cut through a loud ensemble setting, etc.

For modern drum corps, I suppose gold vibes are pretty great, as they tend to have a warmer sound to them. Now that we have sound systems, players don't need to worry about banging the snot out of instruments to get them to project, so instead of a more articulate (to put nicely), or harshly banging/brittle sound (more blunt), you have a nice characteristic fundamental sound/tone from the playing. In that case, gold vibes bring out more nuances than silver do.

You can also maybe look at it as "semipro," "mid-level" instrument = silver, while "pro"/"top-level" instrument = gold: like acoustalon bars on a marimba vs rosewood (similar differences in rosewood vs acoustalon as gold vs silver vibes IMO)

• Like 1

It's just crazy to me that the gold and nickel bars from Adams are the same price. It really does sound as if the gold is a better sound. You would think it would cost more.

The Silver bars are usually a little thicker and can project fairly well at louder volumes. But the Yamaha gold vibe bars are thinner and are more reseptive to lighter touch and softer mallets which in an mic-ed ensemble are useful tambours to have.

tambours
tambours
tambours

335px-Futurama_%28Fry%29_-_Not_Sure_If..._Original.jpg

While "Tambour" is a somewhat relevant musical term, I'm almost completely positive the word you're looking for is "Timbres:.

• Like 6

MV5BNzQxMzA3NzQzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQxMDc3MQ@@._V1._SY314_CR3,0,214,314_.jpg

Maybe he was referring to Jeffrey Tambor!

• Like 1

Maybe he was referring to Jeffrey Tambor!

MV5BNzQxMzA3NzQzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQxMDc3MQ@@._V1._SY314_CR3,0,214,314_.jpg

I resemble that remark!

Edited by CrunchyTenor
  • Like 1

While "Tambour" is a somewhat relevant musical term, I'm almost completely positive the word you're looking for is "Timbres:.

Seriously? Holy ####... That was incredibly unnecessary... next time you don't need to be an ### about it... I was just trying to help and who the hell cares if I misspelled a word. No one likes a conceited grammar nazi... :thumbdown:/>/>

This is a forum about drum corps on a thread about vibes so maybe you have something USEFUL to contribute or do you just go around calling people out on misspellings in the most derailing and obnoxious way possible?

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 3