Why the Bluecoats are overlooked at times

Feel free to dismiss this as just my opinion, but I've been in the activity for a little while now and was just curious of something that I've noticed. While browsing this forum, it seems as though much of what the Bluecoats do goes almost unnoticed, if that is the appropriate word to use for it. Just going through a show thread and seeing the discussion of each corps and their show, especially in the top 8 or so, there seems to always be much less discussion when the Bluecoats go on. I don't know if it is something they do that people just don't seem to care for, or if their fan base isn't as well-represented on here, but it is something I've seen. On a similar topic, when it comes to scoring, the Bluecoats have topped Phantom at two shows this year, yet very few, if any, seem to talk about them being able to rise up to that again, and even more I see actually predict Bluecoats falling in the rankings to Madison, a corps that Bluecoats have not lost to head-to-head since 2005. Just my two cents.

• Like 3

I've been a big fan of the Bluecoats since 2007 and I've always wondered this myself. If I had to guess, it'd be because they tend to finish in the bottom half of the top ten most years. But I honestly don't know.

Heck of a first post Bearckat. Welcome to DCP, I hope your Bluecoats do well this year.

BTW, would you mind filling out your profile information as to when you marched, and who you marched with? Thanks!

• Like 2

I don't know but I wish I did. Most people say that the bluecoats are great but underrated. I'm a huge bluecoats fan and I'm hoping to become a bluecoat this year. If you ask me, they should be in 5th place this year because phantom just isn't doing as well as they usually do. I just want bloo to get gold! Well now that I think about it, maybe that's why they're underrated! They've never won gold! I don't know but I'm just coming to that conclusion.

Edited by Musicfanatic7232
  • Like 2

I'd say it's mostly because there are more interesting storylines typically in the Top 3 and the bottom half or bottom 1/4th of the Top 12. Bluecoats haven't passed anyone or been passed this year and they haven't made any significant moves in the past few years, so there hasn't been much buzz. IMO, however, they did receive a LOT of attention a couple of seasons ago when they were doing "Creep", so there's that.

Maybe they don't have the titles like some of the other corps getting a lot of threads so don't have that large (or long term) fan base. Or maybe not that flashy, just kinda of a blue collar (no pun intended) corps grinding it out.

LOL - first saw the corps in the early/mid(?) 80s at a bunch of standstill concerts my corps did in Harrisburg. Some years when they were trying to make a name for themselves. Our business manager ended up working with Bluecoat staff for a while.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

"Criminal" is still one of my favorite shows ever.

• Like 2

Also, they were the darlings of DCI and the bandwagon corps for the few seasons following their 5th place finish in 2005. It seems that without any serious title contention and their hanging around the 5-7 position the past several years, Crown has stepped in and filled that role.

• Like 6

Would it take another season like 2010 for them to get things stirred up again?

Yea I think so. That's been their best show

• Like 1