Why the Bluecoats are overlooked at times

Sometimes I wonder if it has more to do with what types of things get the focus here on DCP. If you go to the shows you will notice that the Bluecoats are always loved by the crowd (or at least the majority of the crowd), but conversations here on DCP tend to focus on who has a legitimate shot at winning the DCI title or we focus on who has fallen off the wagon (so to speak).

To some degree it's a compliment to the 'Coats that they don't get talked about too often. They seem to consistently be in the top 5 to 7 every year. Without fail they seem to produce some of the best brass and percussion lines one will see on the field each summer, and in some small way (maybe a large one) we would all be shocked if they were not in the top 5 to 7 corps.

They were the sweethearts and got a lot of buzz after their 5th place finish in 2005. They backed that up with a 4th place finish in 2006. Their 2007 show (Criminal) remains one of my favorites from Bloooo, and it was a show that spent most of the summer in the top 4 with the corps winning the high brass caption at Quarterfinals that year. Sadly, they fell apart to some degree visually at the end of that 2007 season and dropped from 4th to 7th come DCI Finals.

Their 2008 show however was a great production, and perhaps some of my most favorite music from them...ever!!!! The music from Rocky was really well arranged and the brass shout in the middle of the show to the Paul Simon tune was terrific. They were, once again, one of the most popular corps that summer, at least from an entertainment perspective.

Although the 2009 show was not my cup-of-tea, their 2010 production was stellar on many fronts. They finished 3rd that year and, once again, I think people were somewhat psyched for Blooo and Crown (who had finished 2nd just the year before).

2011 was a sweet show, and 2012 had its moments, but both shows suffered from overall GE. They just weren't able to drive the theme from top to bottom. Still, the corps performed with amazing precision, as they always do. They've had killer drums and brass going back to the early 2000s, and prior to their fall out of the top 12 in 1999 they had killer brass and drums and some killer shows in the 80s and 90s.

For those of you that may teach music, and in particular Marching Band Techniques at the college level, I highly recommend showing your class the Bluecoats 1989 show. For flat out entertainment, staging, pizzaz, and great effect, that show is a stunner. I make my class watch and analyze that show every year (among others).

When it comes to DCP popularity perhaps Bloooo has fallen off a bit only because they haven't been in serious contention and also because they haven't fallen to the bottom of the pack.

I think there is a lot of excitement this year because we could see a new champion. I am rooting for Crown. Love their show and do indeed think they are the best corps out there. I think SCV may ultimately take 2nd with Cadets 3rd and BD 4th. Regardless of what happens, Blooo will be right there with Phantom in the end if for no other reason than their outstanding performance levels.

• Like 2

jwillis35 and I are kinda on the same wavelength on this, although I don't always remember exact placings in exact years.

As a FMM in 06 07 08, I think I can give a point of view on this.

When I was at Bloo we made a bit of noise...cracking the top 4, beating Cadets, beating BD/Cavs in 07, winning brass most of 07 (.1 from Jim Ott), etc.

People started to give us some notice for these small milestones. 2010 was the pinnacle because they were contenders. However, all that being said, Bloo hasn't accomplished anything yet, really, and before and after those years it's been inconsistent with lots of 6th/7th. With the exception of Crown (who has admittedly been on a more steady rise) EVERY other corps surrounding them all the way down to Madison has won a DCI title at least once. Crown is the brass king so they currently have that going for them and many will say they are the odds on favorite for their first title this year.

All those others corps generate that hype of having a "champion" there. They have done it before, they can do it again. Bloo has had some flashes of greatness but on the whole I feel are still considered a "very nice drum corps".

Don't take this as hate, I love Bloo and would love to see them kick the snot out of everyone, but they need to get up and do it!

• Like 4

I think corps that aren't right up there in medal contention and/or don't have a championship in the bag from the past and/or don't have a 60+ year history of alums to root for them are going to find they don't get talked about all that much. And while the Bluecoats have a distinctive style, look, and sound, I tend to think that their shows in G7 era haven't had that extra bit of oomph that captures people's attention. I don't know how to describe it, but there's just nothing people can latch onto to either love or hate, I guess. Even 2010, which was a masterpiece of a show, took me multiple live viewings to really feel connected to it.

I think Bluecoats have a really interesting design this year, and while it comes across pretty well live (as opposed to on video), the bursts of energy just don't stick around. A lot of that is musical development. The opening statement is a fantastic build, but isn't very long. Then there's a bunch of random stuff. There's the part that sounds like Steve Reich tune (Different Trains is what I think of when I hear it), which works pretty well but it's by nature pretty disconnected. The wailing jazz section was awesome, but lasts for what, 10, 20 seconds at most, after coming out of nowhere. But other than the riser props and the picnicking guard, there's not a lot of really strikingly memorable parts. Not to me, anyway.

Edited by skywhopper

A few years back, around 205-2007. The Bluecoats had a massive hype machine on here, similar to what we see with Crown today. The Bloooooos pulled back a bit, became more cautious and prudent with their hype afterward but all it’s takes is a good show /year to bring them out

Personally, this show is lost on me. Its very confused, lacks GE. It’s a bunch of moments that don’t add up to a complete show. I’m not talking about this show because I don’t want to harsh on it. 2006 and 2010 Bluecoats we amongst my favorite shows of those years so I’m very receptive to them, I'm just not feeling it this year

I'd say it's mostly because there are more interesting storylines typically in the Top 3 and the bottom half or bottom 1/4th of the Top 12. Bluecoats haven't passed anyone or been passed this year and they haven't made any significant moves in the past few years, so there hasn't been much buzz. IMO, however, they did receive a LOT of attention a couple of seasons ago when they were doing "Creep", so there's that.

That's exactly it. The corps has been placing in and around the same placements, fairly consistently, for a few years now. They haven't stagnated, because stagnating would mean falling steadily down the rankings as the activity, as a whole, improves year to year. Bluecoats just isn't in any of the drama spotlights right now.

Those spotlights are:

1. The fight for the championship. Right now that's a 3, maybe 4 corps battle.

2. The "Medal" positions. Who is making top 3?

3. The fight to make top 12.

4. The battle for top 25. Which Open corps will knock which World corps out of semifinals?

It's a serious accomplishment to place in the 5th - 9th positions. The fact is the position changes for those corps just aren't as interesting as the other stories unfolding. There's less at stake in those positions. Sure it's interesting when a corps that usually doesn't place that high places in that area, or when a corps that usually places higher drops down there.

Bluecoats isn't in a position to take a championship away from another corps, or knock another corps out of the top 12, or squeeze somebody out of the theater broadcast, or end another corps season on Thursday.

They're successful and consistent (and non-offensive) enough to be out of the spotlight right now.

Agree with all of the above theories and will add one more:

A lot of corps threads just fall off peoples screens. If Bluecoats fans were posting in their 'official' thread everyday, there would be probably be more active discussion about the corps.

I really, really like Bluecoats show this year. I think the members are doing a great job performing it. Not sure why it seems to be (IMO at least) underperforming.

Edited by corpsband

I'd say it's mostly because there are more interesting storylines typically in the Top 3 and the bottom half or bottom 1/4th of the Top 12. Bluecoats haven't passed anyone or been passed this year and they haven't made any significant moves in the past few years, so there hasn't been much buzz. IMO, however, they did receive a LOT of attention a couple of seasons ago when they were doing "Creep", so there's that.

To answer the original poster's question, I think this comes closest. Bluecoats have not produced particularly memorable or impactful shows the past few years. Perhaps my feelings on this year will change when I see it live, but seeing it online and seeing in person viewers reviews, it looks like many people (certainly not all) have that same reaction this year. Solid, competent, but not engaging or memorable. This is in start contrast to many Bluecoat shows between 2005 and 2010. Some wonderful programs and memorable moments throughout those years, from Connexus to Criminal to Metropolis, and even Imagine. I actually think last year was far more impactful & memorable than this year, other than the fact they could never quite find a ending that lived up to the first 2/3s of the show. To me, this is very similar to the lack of discussion & passion on the boards this year about Boston. Both Boston & Bluecoats seem to have not found the magic programming formula this year.

That's my 2 cents. Hopefully it changes for both, and maybe my thoughts will evolve after seeing 'coats live in Texas this week.

Harvey

• Like 2

As a FMM in 06 07 08, I think I can give a point of view on this.

.....but on the whole I feel are still considered a "very nice drum corps".

Glad you gave your years as the quote sounds like a Larry Hershmanism....

...follow by a look you do NOT want to see....

• Like 1

I agree with many of the comments previously made (J.Willis, Schickmeister, etc.) and add one more. Compared to the legacy corps of DCI and the champions of DCI, Bloo's front office also keeps a very low profile with few facets which derive much publicity. The newcomer Crownies manufacture a lot of opportunity even in the off season with their tarps, wraps, clinics, etc. to keep an image going, even the game of being the last to announce the show. Bloo doesn't give too many videos unlike Cadets, doesn't have WGI prowess like PR/SCV/BD/Crown have had, doesn't do much on a national level in off season beyond occasional audition day here or there when everyone else is having audition days. The Bluecoat brand seems limited to the crowd being funny with Blooooo rather than blue. The organization's publicity staff seems trapped in Ohio rust belt grey. It needs some color to say to the activity..."hey, we are here too." And of course, winning helps.

• Like 3