Why the Bluecoats are overlooked at times

Also, I agree with most of what everyone said. Ultimately, I don't think the corps markets itself as fully as it could. As a result, folks (even alums) can't get excited about the production cause they don't know what they are going to get before buying tickets to see a show. This year, most folks didn't know the the source music for the show until the first show, even then, it was because someone took a photo of it from a contest program and posted it in DCP. Unless I am reading it incorrectly, this year's corps program information isn't even on the corps website, aside from a poster with "...to look for America" on it. No other such information about the show exists. I've looked on the corps website and their Facebook page. No information about the music, the concepts, or the idea behind the production is on the corps website.

That's an interesting observation. A couple weeks ago, I sent an email copied to two recipients: the people listed as the marketing contact on both the Bluecoats' website and the Cleveland Orchestra's website, to the effect that I had noticed there was some overlap between their repertoires this summer (Orch. was doing a Simon & Garfunkle concert), and maybe there was a cross-promotional opportunity. One of the two recipients wrote me back the same day with thanks; the other never replied. (To me, at least. Maybe he corresponded directly with the other.)

• Like 1

I would venture to guess if they creep up on Phantom again this weekend that might get some people talking. They certainly have a good spot in the performance order at San Antonio to give themselves a chance, if you believe in that sort of thing.

• Like 1

I think Bluecoats fall to 7th or 8th this year. Their show is very disjointed. Why do they get overlooked? Because they've been consistently in the same competitive spot, minus 2010, since 07. They are talented and always execute well but the shows are not memorable. 2010 was magical and one if my fav shows of any corps of all time. Not sure why that formula wasn't replicated but they've become stagnant and Madison and others are pushing.

• Like 2

2 observations (as a Bluecoats Alum).

1. I do believe that they suffer a lack of coat tails. There is an automatic assumption of success for their competition because they have all won a title before (a point that others have made). Lets face it, Phantom is already considered to be masterful in a given season long before they ever play their first note. And when one of these other corps doesn't quite put out... there is a tendency to view them with rose colored glasses. It's a tough edge that exists in every facet of competition from work-place relationships to national politics. They just need to overcome it... and that takes me to my second point.

2. As I look at successful programing from the past and compare it to the typical Bluecoats production (taking special note of their more successful programs) I notice a trend in the balance of show concept with program writing. It seems to me that the most successful programs tend to have a simplicity in concept and a complexity in writing. That is to say that good shows 'tend' (there are a few historical exceptions) to be EASY to follow with MINIMAL repertoire. Conversely they 'tend' to have complex writing... meaning that there are major impact points that are frequent and increasing in magnitude from start to finish. There are a multitude of musical runs and technically challenging licks as well as mind blowing visual drill effects. Sure... good programs have a balance of ballad-like moments... but the ones that do well are the ones with RED MEAT.

Now the exception that I take with this particular season... after having seen some programs out there...

The Bluecoats should be scoring and placing higher than where they are. This program (while overly complex in concept... to a fault... see my above remark) does have a good amount of red meat in it. More than some of the corps around them in placement right now.

Anyhow. The act of contending is a formula... and they aren't filling all the ingredients (like Crown is).

Edited by cfirwin3

...It seems to me that the most successful programs tend to have a simplicity in concept and a complexity in writing. That is to say that good shows 'tend' (there are a few historical exceptions) to be EASY to follow with MINIMAL repertoire.

I assume those historical exceptions are the Blue Devils :devil:

I assume those historical exceptions are the Blue Devils :devil:/>

well... I suppose a more recent BD win might fall in that category... But I was thinking more of some past Cadet wins. Some that I even loved.

Most of the 1980's 90's and early 00' wins for BD were fairly concise programs, full of red meat like I said.

I thought about digging up the old Bloo 2013 thread, but I thought since this one is hot right now, I would put it up here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYkCDGyLvH8

It's not the best audio/video, but it's their most recent run-thru. Tonight is their first show after several rehearsal days. I can already see some changes/enhancements in that video, and I love it. Just a really well-rounded show, the brass makes me wanna cry sometimes.

• Like 1

Speaking of wider awareness of the Bluecoats, here's something that has been on their website for a couple weeks but not, I think, previously mentioned in these forums:

The Bluecoats are proud to announce a new partnership...

with the Cleveland Browns NFL franchise to produce The Cleveland Browns Drumline, a percussion entertainment ensemble featured at every Browns home game of the 2013 season. Whether they are entertaining tailgaters before the gates open, pumping up the team prior to kickoff, or firing up fans during the game, The Cleveland Browns Drumline will be a fixture of the team’s game day entertainment experience.

The Bluecoats are currently looking for snare drum, bass drum, tenor drum, and cymbal performers interested in being a part of the ensemble this season. You must be at least 18 years of age and be available to participate at all necessary rehearsals, home games, and any other scheduled public performances. While being a part of The Cleveland Browns Drumline will be a ton of fun, all performers will be paid for each appearance. Bluecoats Visual Caption Head, World Champion RhythmX Indoor Percussion Battery Percussion Coordinator, and All-Star percussion performer Tim Jackson will write the music and choreograph the visuals for the ensemble.

If you are interested in auditioning for the The Cleveland Browns Drumline, please visit our new Acceptd site to start the process. There, you will see the ensemble’s 2013 schedule and our complete eligibility requirements, and get a feel for the audition process. Online auditions open on July 1st and end on August 1st.

That's an interesting observation. A couple weeks ago, I sent an email copied to two recipients: the people listed as the marketing contact on both the Bluecoats' website and the Cleveland Orchestra's website, to the effect that I had noticed there was some overlap between their repertoires this summer (Orch. was doing a Simon & Garfunkle concert), and maybe there was a cross-promotional opportunity. One of the two recipients wrote me back the same day with thanks; the other never replied. (To me, at least. Maybe he corresponded directly with the other.)

Glad you at least tried this. I think corps could benefit hugely from such cross promotion with other arts groups. Any audience of an activity involving music, dancing, or an outdoor element should be marketed to heavily by DCI and its corps.