What should scores be based on?

78 members have voted

1. 1. What should matter more to judges?

• The entertainment level of the design
    • The proficiency of the players

There's no question that audiences attentions were held by Devils performances last year. You don't have to like a show or throw babies to be engaged.

They were respectful; they watched the show; I will give you that. However, they were not 'engaged' they were mainly 'confused'. The word engagement also indicates a sense of 'understanding'.

They were respectful; they watched the show; I will give you that. However, they were not 'engaged' they were mainly 'confused'. The word engagement also indicates a sense of 'understanding'.

It wasn't like that at any of the shows I attended, including Allentown.

• Like 3

It wasn't like that at any of the shows I attended, including Allentown.

So at all the shows you attended, including Allentown, you contend that the majority of the audience 'understood' the history and significance of Cabaret Voltaire (just like the judges), along with connecting with the Dada Movement (just like the judges), and therefore they all were 'engaged' with the show (just like the judges)?

Engaged doesn't have to mean understanding. It just means it had their attention. Confusion is an emotion that people experienced by watching the show. They weren't talking about where they were going for dinner afterwards, they were watching the show. Therefore, engaged by it.

Part of the GE sheet is also abut creativity and originality. No one can argue that BD doesn't fit that box perfectly.

So at all the shows you attended, including Allentown, you contend that the majority of the audience 'understood' the history and significance of Cabaret Voltaire (just like the judges), along with connecting with the Dada Movement (just like the judges), and therefore they all were 'engaged' with the show (just like the judges)?

No, because "understanding" isn't a criteria of being engaged in a performance. The last time I went to the opera I didn't understand the story, or a word said or sung. I was still engaged, even if I didn't particularly enjoy it.

• Like 2

No, because "understanding" isn't a criteria of being engaged in a performance. The last time I went to the opera I didn't understand the story, or a word said or sung. I was still engaged, even if I didn't particularly enjoy it.

Thus the difference between "engagement" and "entertainment"?

Edited by Fran Haring

But how would the judges know how the audience is feeling about a show? Just because they hear golf claps doesn't mean that the audience hates the show. It could mean that they're processing what they just saw on the field. When I saw BD 2012 at MetLife stadium, there wasn't much clapping at all but at the end of the show, many people did clap and cheer. Imo, everyone in the audience acts in some ways the same as the people sitting around them. If Crown just layed into a major chord at fortissimo, everyone is cheering simply because that is what the majority of the people do. You don't ever see Crown lay into a chord and no one cheer, do you? I think it was already stated but different emotions happen from different corps. Your not going to see a crowd that completely cheers loud as hell as BD finishes up there show simply because this is not the emotion that is occurring in the audience's mind..

• Like 1

DCI is 'not' high art like Opera or Symphonies; it is 'not' an academic institution to learn about the historical aspects of artistic movements; DCI is, or should be, about competitive musical 'entertainment'. Why? Because that is what the paying public desires; and with a paying public that is turning quickly away from the activity corps need to get back into 'entertaining' the audience or the drum corps activity will be nothing more that a chapter in a music history book at an academic institution.

But how would the judges know how the audience is feeling about a show? Just because they hear golf claps doesn't mean that the audience hates the show. It could mean that they're processing what they just saw on the field. When I saw BD 2012 at MetLife stadium, there wasn't much clapping at all but at the end of the show, many people did clap and cheer. Imo, everyone in the audience acts in some ways the same as the people sitting around them. If Crown just layed into a major chord at fortissimo, everyone is cheering simply because that is what the majority of the people do. You don't ever see Crown lay into a chord and no one cheer, do you? I think it was already stated but different emotions happen from different corps. Your not going to see a crowd that completely cheers loud as hell as BD finishes up there show simply because this is not the emotion that is occurring in the audience's mind..

a) Fans do not pay hundreds of dollars for tickets, transportation, housing, and food to 'process' information from a show. They pay those big bucks to get entertained, not educated!!!

b) The condescending view that DCI fans are mere sheepole, cheering and clapping because of the cues from others around them, is one of the many reasons why the ivory tower mindset that gives us shows like Dada meets The Zone has no place in DCI.

• Like 1

a) Fans do not pay hundreds of dollars for tickets, transportation, housing, and food to 'process' information from a show. They pay those big bucks to get entertained, not educated!!!

b) The condescending view that DCI fans are mere sheepole, cheering and clapping because of the cues from others around them, is one of the many reasons why the ivory tower mindset that gives us shows like Dada meets The Zone has no place in DCI.

Please don't speak for "the fans." Thanks.

• Like 1