The Greyhound Throwdown!

My thoughts from the show last night.

Cleanest Performance: Cadets (only because crowns percussion line is AWFUL in comparison. Hate it for the the guard and horn lines)

Most Shocking: Troopers ( I really enjoyed their show. Much better live then on video.)

Most Disappointing: Crown's percussion...nothing more to add.

Most Annoying: Spirit (They have maybe the best lead in the field this year and he did a great job but the 12 minutes of piano is just too much)

Best Performance: Scouts (By far and away the best show of the night.)

Edited by OleMissRebel
  • Like 3

My thoughts from the show last night.

Cleanest Performance: Cadets (only because crowns percussion line is AWFUL in comparison. Hate it for the the guard and horn lines)

Most Shocking: Troopers ( I really enjoyed their show. Much better live then on video.)

Most Disappointing: Crown's percussion...nothing more to add.

Most Annoying: Spirit (They have maybe the best lead in the field this year and he did a great job but the 12 minutes of piano is just too much)

Best Performance: Scouts (By far and away the best show of the night.)

I would even go as far as to say...that if there was still a "Disney Spirit Award" given...Madison Scouts would get it this year........hands down!!

• Like 3

I would even go as far as to say...that if there was still a "Disney Spirit Award" given...Madison Scouts would get it this year........hands down!!

I would say SCV would snag it

• Like 4

I would say SCV would snag it

SCV has a great show of course, a classic, but the Disney Spirit Award (if I recall it correctly) went to designs that told the best story and stood out dramatically.....so I still say Scouts are by themselves this year in that regard.

• Like 2

Yes. They take "pretend" dead bodies off after they have been shot on the field. One lays dead for quite some time.

Some audience members seem to react positively to it on an emotional level. I have seen it live three times and try not to be

offended, but can' t help it.

Oh, you're offended. Good for you. Want a cookie?

• Like 1

I look no further than last year. Crown's percussion finished 7th in percussion at DCI Atlanta.....then in 1 week, they placed 1st and topped the Blue Devils in Allentown. It can happen.

yeah and having been in Allentown last year....about that......mmmmmm yeah......um......well........it got corrected

• Like 1

ok that's your opinion - not sure why I get a -1 for suggesting SCV :blink:/>

it was your fan club. still mad about the political forums LOL

• Like 2

it was your fan club. still mad about the political forums LOL

gosh and I went and vanished for 5 years to let them get over it :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

This sentiment is understandable. But you need to know that those that find war the most obscene are normally those of us that were in it.

But Madison's show is not about war, war is only a backdrop to the real story......the brotherhood and survival. War cuts through the ######## in ways you can't imagine and you are left with the "most real" anything gets in your life. Their is a bond that is built in that atmosphere that is unexplainable..undeniable..powerful........it is searing and lifelong. And Madison has captured that story amazingly. It is so important and so personal it is difficult to discuss....and that's why so many warriors don't. I am indebted to Mr. Mason and his Scouts for telling that story for us....in a tasteful, respectful and honorable way.

One other note about removing the fallen from the battlefield.......that is a promise and a creed between warriors that will not be explained here.

Concerning your rationale about drum corps as an escape from reality (not a criticism but a question you should ask yourself).....if Madison 2013 exposes you to things you do not wish to know or see....what did Phantom Regiment 2008 do for you? Different millennium....same soldiers....same brotherhood......(BTW.....I loved it, even though it beat my favorite).

...I'm with you through most of your feelings here, Plan, but I get a twinge every time I see the "body treatment" in Scouts' show. Can't say I'm offended...can't say I like it. Just don't want to be reminded of it in such a graphic way. Just my particular combat vet take on it...and I got by it pretty quickly. Had I been on design team I woulda pushed for something different at that point in the show (and I wonder how many, if any, combat vets had anything at all to do with Madison's show design...I suspect none). So, it's not that big a deal, but the twinge, I'm pretty sure, won't go away...my congrats to Jim Mason and his crew for the effort, that's for sure.