Oberservation

I don't dislike or hate any corps. As a previous poster commented, the kids out there are given a product and do it to their best ability, and that's really all I care about too. I am a very proud BD alum and fan, always will be, but even I don't really like some of the newer shows that BD is doing, and I hope they aren't influencing the direction of DCI because I'd be upset. I hate all the amplification/singing/sound effects from keyboards, that just wasn't the style of drum corps that I grew up with as a kid watching PBS (remember those days?!?). I like it big, loud and jazzy ( you can see where I got into BD, and where I really like Crown a ton most years too, and Boston), and I love the symphonic/broadway so I've always been a big fan of Vanguard and Phantom. I would never put down another corps for their name alone, or because they could win (I really, really don't care who wins), but I will still ##### about the shows that are getting away from what my expectation of corps is...brass, drums, guard...no batteries included.

• Like 2

I don't dislike or hate any corps. As a previous poster commented, the kids out there are given a product and do it to their best ability, and that's really all I care about too. I am a very proud BD alum and fan, always will be, but even I don't really like some of the newer shows that BD is doing, and I hope they aren't influencing the direction of DCI because I'd be upset. I hate all the amplification/singing/sound effects from keyboards, that just wasn't the style of drum corps that I grew up with as a kid watching PBS (remember those days?!?). I like it big, loud and jazzy ( you can see where I got into BD, and where I really like Crown a ton most years too, and Boston), and I love the symphonic/broadway so I've always been a big fan of Vanguard and Phantom. I would never put down another corps for their name alone, or because they could win (I really, really don't care who wins), but I will still ##### about the shows that are getting away from what my expectation of corps is...brass, drums, guard...no batteries included.

This obviously isn't happening or many more corps would be moving in that direction. My guess is that you like the 2013 productions of Cadets, SCV, PR, Scouts......a lot of people do (me included), but some also like different productions that are more free form and involve new allowable entertainment technology. All entertainment evolves.....it's just what happens. But my guess is that this new direction will remain a small percentage of shows produced. And if you've seen Madison, Cadets and SCV this year......even though some batteries were included....you gotta love it. :thumbup:/>

I don't mean to hijack this thread in anyway but I was just wondering if anyone knew if the BD rehearsal in Allentown for the TOC show is open to the public or not? Thanks, and like most of the answers here I think it is just tastes in design and such. Not only that but it is also people's willingness to understand a show. If they choose not to think and understand a BD show then that is their problem. Same goes for other corps as well.

It was 1988...but where do you get that most BD fans didn't like it lol? It is one of their most highly regarded shows by pretty much everyone and considered to be one of the best hornlines ever fielded.

Just whenever I've seen it referenced folks talked about how much they hated the uniforms and thought the show was very non-BD. You're actually the first I've seen here applaud it.

I think you are honestly touching on what some DCPers have feared for half a decade now......that BD's new direction (if rewarded) will suck other corps in that direction and then DCI will go to hell in a hand basket. That never was a legitimate rationale IMO.....because there will always be traditional designers in the DCI family.

Well, I think the core of the concern, particularly after 2010, was that if BD was going to be that dominant every year with this style of show, then show designs would start moving that direction. Had BD won in 2011 as well as 2012, I think it's a certainty that the shows out there in 2013 would be looking a lot different, at least from the corps with a shot at a title. Had they won in 2008 as well, it would be a completely different landscape.

Well, I think the core of the concern, particularly after 2010, was that if BD was going to be that dominant every year with this style of show, then show designs would start moving that direction. Had BD won in 2011 as well as 2012, I think it's a certainty that the shows out there in 2013 would be looking a lot different, at least from the corps with a shot at a title. Had they won in 2008 as well, it would be a completely different landscape.

Well in terms of influence, I think you can certainly include 2008 (even though it was 2nd). If anything, their 2nd place in 2011 (a very traditional, pedestrian production) further solidified that avante gard was the winning formula, bolstered by the win in 2012. So in many ways, other corps have more than enough reason to change their design direction if they want to win.........but they're not. They just aren't.

Well in terms of influence, I think you can certainly include 2008 (even though it was 2nd). If anything, their 2nd place in 2011 (a very traditional, pedestrian production) further solidified that avante gard was the winning formula, bolstered by the win in 2012. So in many ways, other corps have more than enough reason to change their design direction if they want to win.........but they're not. They just aren't.

Please expand the explanation of your thinking as I am having some problem following your reasoning ladder.

Are you saying between the lines that the Cadets 2011 win was a bit avant garde and that continues the pattern towards changing show designs?

You put down 2011 BD as "pedestrian" and only silver medal as if that is not a great drum corps attainment.

If not, it sounds like you are making a circular argument that BD is the standard that wins and to win one has to do what BD does. Narcissistic at least.

I disagree, because Phantom 2008 and Cadets 2011 were so incredibly different designs than what BD has been putting out there. So they proved it's still possible to win with more traditional fare. Had BD won six in a row at this point, design staffs would not believe it was possible to win otherwise.

Please expand the explanation of your thinking as I am having some problem following your reasoning ladder.

Are you saying between the lines that the Cadets 2011 win was a bit avant garde and that continues the pattern towards changing show designs?

You put down 2011 BD as "pedestrian" and only silver medal as if that is not a great drum corps attainment.

If not, it sounds like you are making a circular argument that BD is the standard that wins and to win one has to do what BD does. Narcissistic at least.

2011, for me, was when BD wanted to go full-out crowd friendly for a year. This is not saying that staff thinks pre-design process "hmm, what can we do to make this more esoteric?" I read "traditional" from Plan's post, which it was if it weren't for the props.

• Like 1