There is no magic number formula IMO. But as a fan, THANK YOU DCA for creating this rule. Some corps have been painful to watch over the years. The most painful part is watching the audience cringe and feel embarrassed for the people out on the field. Sorry if the truth hurts, but it just that, the truth.

And no offense but could we leave the Austin Stars out of this conversation. Having Shadow return to beat that horse to death again is something we could all do without.

• Like 1

Teal Sounds conra player was asked to do a study at the alligator farm in Saint Augustine a year or two ago .It seems the sounds from conra's or as you BAND Folks call them TUBA'S are the same as what gaters do ,They moved him around the park and the gators followed him when he played ,Conra's aka band folks TUBAs the piped piper of GATOR VILLE .LOL

Heh, WCU used B-Flat convertible Tubas, and they were similar in size to the old small Contras. They were lousy, poorly built and engineered instruments and not well liked to the point they procured brass Sousaphones to replace them after I graduated and preferred them in spite of the fact they weigh in the neighborhood of 87 tons. When the peeps got up a head of steam, they couldn't stop. I remember watching a video and seeing a couple pretty good collisions and chain reaction crashes. :w00t:

Lemme tell you, I should find one of those hunks of junk, pair it up with my 24AW mouthpiece and get a job herding Gators. Prolly the only thing one of those would be good for. :)

Been playing my Piston Rotor Bari the last couple of days. Interesting beasts. Man... the high A, is really funky. One can only massage the pitch so much. Wonder if Crocs would like Bari Bugles too. :satisfied:

There is no magic number formula IMO. But as a fan, THANK YOU DCA for creating this rule. Some corps have been painful to watch over the years. The most painful part is watching the audience cringe and feel embarrassed for the people out on the field. Sorry if the truth hurts, but it just that, the truth.

And no offense but could we leave the Austin Stars out of this conversation. Having Shadow return to beat that horse to death again is something we could all do without.

And there are options if you're too small. DCI has the new format, SDCA is an option though I really don't see a lot of reactions to posts about it or show articles of late, and there is the Mini-Corps option that one can use to build an organization up.

Thinking about it, 35 is a reasonable tipping point. If you can get 35 peeps on board, I think you can reach some kind of sustainability and keep recruiting, people will want to come on board.

Seriously, there is a solution to Sayre's issue. You need to bring on to the staff a mad scientist/insane genius who basically works on integrating those individuals and making them look good and makes them useful. so the rest of the staff can do their main jobs and tasks. Someone like..... Hmm... :whistle:

I can vouch for your lab work. :tongue:

And before people think I'm a kid saying that, I competed against some of them. And we're talking a 40 point spread between Westshore and those corps. Totally insane to even imagine that.

Heh... reminds me of my last two years in a local-circuit junior corps.

We weren't good. OK... we were really bad. LOL. We didn't break a 60 for two years, in local-circuit competition. One year, at World Open Class B prelims, we were absolutely obliterated by corps I had never heard of, and have never heard from since. :w00t:

But there were two corps in our circuit that we would routinely beat by 15-20 points, every show.

I was afraid to watch them. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

The only time I've felt really on that end of things was the last band I worked with. The Director and Color Guard caption head... extremely frustrating. Kids were fine, but the adults had no clue and didn't want to have one.

I think I've been lucky that I've been in or at least worked with decent groups at worst with that one exception. Even with my Inner City Pageantry-style HS Band, I felt I was getting somewhere and that we were decent considering the circumstances. There, they had no excuse except for bad leadership.