This contest's been on my calendar for months, and I know it's been on the competitor's calendars as well. Staff members always try to impress upon the performers that everything points towards Championship Weekend and where they finish as a corps, whether they've moved forward and grown, or not.

Still, this contest and the rehersals have a sense of greater urgency to them.

Reading and MBI have dominated DCA for the past 8 seasons. How would they relate to one another at this point of the season? The White Sabres put up a dominating Class A number at Hornell. How would it hold up? The Bushwackers and Sunrisers were close at Bucknell and they know they need to try and break away from the other, Carolina Gold, and the Hurcs.

No one wants to let their corps-mates down. The Staff wants to enable the corps and their ideas to succeed. Days like this can be difficult for the corps, but the fans get exciting performances and fantastic competition. Downingtown certainly provided that in spades.

The show preview was done by part of the Downingtown West HS Band who performed a fresh arrangement of the National Anthem and part of their "Gladiator" show.

The corps that I saw at Bucknell will get a little less copy, since some of the comments would still apply.

The first competitor was the Sunrisers, who'd just edged out Bush at Bucknell with their "Painter's Canvas" program. The performance was definitely more solid than Bucknell. The Brass is still gaining confidence and needs to continue in that direction. The battery's also becoming more musical, and the Red Pony segment is becoming a very good moment for the corps. It also appars that there are two horn holes that need to be filled or closed down.

Next up was Shenendoah Sound, adjusted numbers 10FE/2DM/10 Brass/11 Battery/4CG. I saw then in standstill at Nokesville and felt pretty positive about the standstill run.

When the show's visual package was performed with the music, well, things proved to be rather rough. They have some good ideas like the riser platform and the small guard makes some positive contributions, but things are rather rough visually. It appears that either there are several horn holes in the drill, and that much of the drill late in the show appears to be largely improvised on the fly or jury-rigged. The visual program lacks a feel of real integration and coordination. Some of it could be that the music may not necessarily lend itself to a more dynamic drill.

This seems to be a tough year for Shenendoah- the South Pacific and Katrina programs were great forward strides for the corps, but this Blues show sadly feels like a step back.

The Front Ensemble needs to loosen up and groove, especially when DP is featured. The low range Mello solo was a lot better.

It seems Shenendoah Sould will have a hard uphill battle to tighten up the visual program by Labor Day. Very doable, but it will take a lot of hard work.

The Bushwackers (adjusted numbers 10CG/8FE/2DM/21H/18 Battery) made great strides from Bucknell. Check the review there for more information.

The more a show improves, little things tend to be uncovered that need to be addressed. This is the case- they just need to dig through the small details like the accents in "Putting it Together" and make sure they punch as intended in the opening. They also felt like they wanted it more than Sun did in terms of their confidence and attitude.

The show is growing on me and I'm enjoying it a lot- It's making me smile at several points of the show, something I haven't done in 6 years for the corps. Keep believing, keep up the attitude, and PUSH THE NINE AT THE END HARDER! :cool:

Part 2 later. Stuff to do and it's 130AM. :satisfied:

• Like 3

One more corps before work- the White Sabers (20Brass,2 holes/6FE/2DM/12 Battery/14CG). The 74 from Hornell really caused a lot of discussion before the contest. The best proof one can have is to see a performance and see whether the corps really held water.

Their "Fanfare for a New World" show is a blend of Dvorak and modern composer's works involving the "New World". It adds a lot of really neat twists to the fasmiliar territory of Dvorak.

I think the doubts were eraed in the first 45 seconds of the program with the Jack Stamp Fanfare. It could hasve used some more shape, but the 20 horns were confident and spot on. The battery appears to be a lot more tidy and cleaner than past seasons.

The visual package is clean and also a step above last seasons. Nothing fancy, no plethora of props, but, clean and expresses the music well.

The White Sabers are very polished for this point of the season, though they need to finish certain statements with more of an exclamation point than a period.

The brass ensemble is a bit top heavy in personnel and has a bit of a bright sound, but I didn't mind it. It's an observation rather than a criticism. It gives the corps an individual character and it's not whiny and obnoxious, like it could be. The low/mid voices also pull good weight for their size and are clear. When I checked my notes and saw they had 20 horns, they sound like more than 20, much to their credit. Their veteran Trumpet solo person also had a really pretty sound on his feature work- proof you don't always need to scream to sell and be musical.

The White Sabres are for real. They've made a big push from last year's finalist finish, and I view them as clearly one of the front runners for the Class A win, if not the front runner. The Sun Devils book is also strong and weighty, and they have a quality horn line as well. One also can't dismiss the Govies while the quietly go about their business this season. get there early to Prelims to see that shootout take place. I think it'll be quite good.

Off to dinner and work- I'll get to those Cadets, Cultists, and Pirates later. Gads... that sounds like some kinda fantasy roleplay game. All we need are ninjas... :cool:

• Like 2

When Minnesota Brass (53? Brass/12FE/2DM/22CG/25 Battery) comes east, if they're remotely close, I make sure I keep the date clear. From what I gleaned from comments about this year's show on DCP, it intrigued me. The only way I can describe this program is to channel my inner Garrison Keillor.

Minnesota Brass are good, Minnesota Lutheran folk. We see this at the beginning of the show with their performance of "Ein Feste Burg", known better as "A Mighty Fortress".

Something that's never fully explained happens to the guard. For some reason, they join some church in a strange part of St. Paul that appears to favor wild dancing and alcoholic consumption.

Evidently, the percussion section must be married or dating the guard, because they fall in with them.

Now in Minnesota Brass, the Brass section, the staid Lutherans that they are, attempt to put a stop to this with a torchlight procession, and somehow end up deciding to throw off the jackets of their Lutheranism and go whole-hog into this wild dance cult. The show ends in a rather 'scandalous and crazed' (said in good humor, people!) ritual of dance and music.

This all being said, I really love this program. It's a massive improvement to me over Bonnie and Clyde, more of an adult corps program for an adult audience, which I heartily appreciate. I have a feeling it might scare the heck out of my Mom, but I buy totally into it. The arrangements are utterly fresh and brilliant, and extremely well performed. When the hornline finally gives in, the polytonic chords of "Mighty Fortress" remind me of a bi-polar Percy Grainger. There are whiffs of "Ritual Fire Dance", "Carmen", and Ginastera's "Malombo" encapsulated within the program in fresh and exciting ways. My notes are filled with a lot of delighted and suprised reactions to what the corps had to share with us- the incredible Bass Drum section, the Baris cranking out sixteenth-note triplets with incredible clarity, and a sinuous Mellopone section in the Ginatsera portion- the show's a real musical Brazillian Steakhouse with incredible skewers of tasty delectables filling the plate as long as you keep the chip flippd to the green side, and I kept mine up, believe me. The only thing that really kept it back was a very good but not as good as the Bucs' drill- but the gap in visual program kept them from getting closer to the Bucs. Another issue appears to be percussion from looking closely at the recap. While the MBI percussion beat the Bucs at this show, and this makes total sense- seeing the Composition number is lower than the excellence number has to be some cause for concern, especially seeing that the Bucs number indicates they have more potential for growth in their percussion program over the next month. I feel the .85 gap was fair. Can they close this gap? They owe it to themselves and the fans, as the Brits say, to "give it a go". It's fantastic and would make for a very worthy DCA Championship show.

Next up, Cadets2(20CG/11FE/1DM/25 Battery/40? Brass) with what amounts to a modernized re-telling of the well-loved 1989 "Les Miserables" program.

I feel very up about C2 at this point in the season as compared to this point last year in just about every way possible. The 2012 program lacked in many aspects- it felt like the design staff underestimated in several ways what it would take to do well in DCA programatically. This show has more weight, better arranging, better musical flow, and more familiarity while not pandering or playing down to the audience. A far better vehicle for the corps. Much like giving the corps a good BMW Z3 to drive in the race instead of a Prius.

The uniform change to all off-white appears to mitigate some of the problems with last year and the magnification of any leg/feet issues. I also think the performers feet and pulse are much better this season, but when they struggle, it doesn't look like the equivalent of the person setting themselves in fire, turning on strobe lights above their heads, and screaming "Look at me, I'm phasing!!!!" to the crowd.

The corps also has the Cadets sonic signature at this point in the season, which didn't appear until championship weekend last year. There's more maturity and depth of sound. They have at least 2 holes, which one would assume will be filled in time for championships. The corps is short on Low Brass, but the four Contras do a masterful job to make up for the lack of numbers with solid playing and technique, much to their credit and my respect.

The percussion is still the backbone of this corps, strong and confident. I likened their feature to a musical block of C4 going off- quite explosive!

Their Trumpet and Mello soloists do a very fine job, and at the end, when the Cadets usually fly and are expected to, I felt they were actually flying this year instead of struggling. Yes, they still have to work on the feet and body, but it's far less an issue than it was. The Z-Fold was appreciated and a great touch to the end of the show.

I feel some DCP readers are really underestimating this corps and their potential. I think some of the old, cool heads I sat with felt they should have been closer to MBI and Reading than they were. Keep in mind that they did score a second in Music Ensemble at this program. Depending on how hard they work from now until Championship weekend, they have serious potential to do damage and surprise people.

The final contestant- the Bucs. We knew they had to thro down HARD. MBI set a very high bar to clear. There's been all this talk on DCP... "ohhh, the show is overwritten.... oh, they're gonna just give this season on a platter to MBI because the show is too hard... oh look, the Bucs took the 4th of July off and are unofficially ranked third, stick a fork in them, they're done...."

I read this stuff, shake my head, and chuckle. That crazy stuff is just fuel to fire up the hearts of the Bucs so they can throw it back in their faces and make them cry more. I don't think those people truly realize just how hard the Bucs can dig in when they want to.

Oh yeah, 12 FE/2DM/26CG/23 Battery/60 brass.

The percussion sets the table early. They're still quite excellent and strong- and tuned differently than MBI, which is the main difference between the two for the casual listener.

The combination of Drill clarity and great design, the velocity, and the first horn impact, which caused me to write "WHOA!!!" in my notes let everyone know they were ready to roll that night, and roll quickly and hard with their "Higher, Faster, Stronger" program.

How did they win? I'll break it down.

-A very well integrated visual pckage with the music with great drill design. I believe only the Cabs can approach the level the Bucs take this to at this point in the season. It reminds of the the Cavies when they were doing this at their peak in that aspect, how everything fits and interacts at a high level of synergy. I'm a horn guy, but I can appreciate musical and intelligent drill design and respect it. MBI's drill is very strong, but just isn't at this level right now.

-Attention to detail. I'm gonna give away a dirty secret here of one thing that they do that no one else is getting right. Long sustained crescendos. I've seen several corps do them this season, and what happens is that there's an 8 count legit crescendo, then a horn lift and some other body move intimating further increase in dynamics, and guess what? The horn line's already peaked out before the lift and body move and remains at the same dynamic level. Not the Bucs. When they set up a 16 count Crescendo, they have no plateaus, the increase is consistent all the way through. They don't sell out early. This is the kind of stuff judges notice and use to differentiate people at the top level of the activity. Fine details like that. There are other instances of this in all the other phases of the Bucs show, but I chose a more obvious one to mention and demonstrate. Hopefully they don't shoot me for giving away an obvious secret. :satisfied:/>

Also, the finish with the Bacchanale from Samson and Deliah was delightful, intense, and kickin'. They do perform things in the musical comfort zone, folks. I think they proved the program is not overwritten, and that they're not giving away the farm. Perhaps it's more a case that the design staff just created something a bit challenging that also happened to move the target ahead. Had they not moved the target ahead, The show would have been a lot closer- crazy closer.

I also have to call out the Bucs Front Ensemble. Look. They've been very professional and workmanlike during their run. Everything is always there the way it needs to be. But this year... Holy.... I just hope my friend Keith passed on my note from my notepad that I can't repeat on DCP to the pit. :worthy:/> They've taken their game to a new level. They just blew me away on Saturday.

I'll attach some final thoughts/conclusions here later. I read Jeff's review comments and some of them have left me thinking about some issues in a serious way. I like Jeff. He makes me think, and that's healthy. I just need a break to get my thoughts tighter to discuss one of them in particular in a good way for the betterment of all. :satisfied:/>

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

W, once again you have delivered the goods!!! :thumbup:

Although I may never think of Lutherans the same way again. :tongue:

W, once again you have delivered the goods!!! :thumbup:/>

Although I may never think of Lutherans the same way again. :tongue:/>

speaking as one them, we're a good folks. but when we let loose, look out

:tongue:/>

• Like 1

W, once again you have delivered the goods!!! :thumbup:/>/>

Although I may never think of Lutherans the same way again. :tongue:/>/>

speaking as one them, we're a good folks. but when we let loose, look out

:tongue:/>/>/>

:ph34r:/>

Hey guys!! I kinda-sorta resemble those comments!!

OK - so I only MARRIED one of 'dem Lutherns'...I'm sure that those of us "MINNOW MUNCHERS" feel very similar to our cohorts in crime..we like the Lutheran National Anthem too..

Just can't handle that Lutefisk, doncha know?

Thanks Dubya - I concur with my brothers...nicely done..Your reward is some lutefisk, lefsa, and a nice cold Grain Belt Premium..paying homage to 'dem Lutherns' in Minne-soooooda. :worthy:/>

Pat

Something that's never fully explained happens to the guard. For some reason, they join some church in a strange part of St. Paul that appears to favor wild dancing and alcoholic consumption.

We just call that 'Minneapolis'.

• Like 1

:ph34r:/>/>

Hey guys!! I kinda-sorta resemble those comments!!

OK - so I only MARRIED one of 'dem Lutherns'...I'm sure that those of us "MINNOW MUNCHERS" feel very similar to our cohorts in crime..we like the Lutheran National Anthem too..

Just can't handle that Lutefisk, doncha know?

Thanks Dubya - I concur with my brothers...nicely done..Your reward is some lutefisk, lefsa, and a nice cold Grain Belt Premium..paying homage to 'dem Lutherns' in Minne-soooooda. :worthy:/>/>

Pat

Thanks, man. I have a very nice bottle of Aquavit I have from a good Danish friend. Some time I have to freeze it and tip it back with some friends. Headed to DCA Prelims? :satisfied: