"He's a what? He's a what?"

Was anyone at "The Music Man's Festival of Brass" tonight at Mason City?

These are the scores; it was very close at the top:

1. 84.450 -- Genesis (+1.900 in one day)

2. 84.350 -- Spartans (+0.750 in one day)

3. 82.400 -- 7th Regiment (+1.200 in one day)

4. 80.550 -- Legends (+0.950 in one day)

5. 79.800 -- Raiders (+2.400 in one day)

6. 76.400 -- Colt Cadets (+2.850 in three days)

7. 70.500 -- Les Stentors (+0.350 in one day)

1. 69.950 -- Taipei Yuehfu ("International Class"; +1.500 in three days)

8. 60.950 -- Racine Scouts (+1.850 in three days)

9. 59.600 -- Blue Saints (+3.450 in one day)

Recaps

Can Colt Cadets beat their 2010 Finals score of 82.3? Will Genesis break 90 for the first time ever? They're both on track to do so. But it's risky to identify trends based on so little data: can Blue Saints really continue to improve by more than three points per day and score an 81.3 in Prelims on Monday? I think it's pretty unlikely.

Based on their rocky debut in Kalamazoo (starting with the long time it took to set up the pit), I think Yuehfu has a show of much stronger design than their scores indicate--but they may not have time to clean it.

Finals week is definitely going to be interesting next week. I am so looking forward to seeing all of these corps live. It's great to see Racine Scouts back on the field, and hopefully Raiders will be able to make it to Indianapolis next week.

My biggest wish for all of these corps is, I really hope more people get out to enjoy these shows. So many times the attendance is not very good for Open Class Prelims and Finals, partially due probably to the early days in the week, and added expense for the extra 3 days in Indiana. But to anyone who can make it to World Class Prelims, I hope they do go early enough to see all these amazing shows. These corps may not march 150 kids, but a lot of these corps are playing some great music, and have some extremely talented kids, and in my opinion, definitely deserve more attention than they get.

Good luck to all Open Class corps. Have a safe and exciting last 10 days!!

• Like 1

The show in Mason City was a great success on all fronts! The Corps all stepped up their performances and they had a very respective crowd. Genesis poured it on with a beautiful and powerful company front that had the crowd standing!

My biggest wish for all of these corps is, I really hope more people get out to enjoy these shows.

I can't remember: do the highlights from corps that performed earlier in the day shown during the World Class Prelims cinecast include any Open Class corps? They really should, for the three medalists at least.

I can't remember: do the highlights from corps that performed earlier in the day shown during the World Class Prelims cinecast include any Open Class corps? They really should, for the three medalists at least.

That is a great question. I always attend finals, so I haven't been to a prelims cinecast yet. I would think they should show highlights from the winner at least. I remember in the old days when they would have the finals broadcast live, or shown at a later date, they would show clips from the corps that weren't show live, and I seem to recall most years, they would have highlights from the DII and DIII winners. That makes me think, it would be cool for DCI to show the cinema broadcast on Thefannetwork later, so those of us that actually attend the show could see the broadcast. It sounds like they interview the directors or show designers sometimes in the show, and I would love to hear the comments that we don't get to see during the show live.

IIRC, they showed a short clip of everyone that competed in prelims at the cinema event last year.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor