Streamers and FN'ers, check out Chromecast

Got mine in yesterday and one of the first things I tried was FN!It worked and the picture was very clear as was the sound but the stream was pretty stuttery. Partially may be my network but I also think it has to do with how the Chromecast broadcasts the signal from non-optimized tabs. The sound works fine through, is just the picture that is stuttery. My guess is there will be an update pushed that will help with this. There are many developers working on Chromecast on sites like XDA as well so I think we will see thus become very cool in the near future. Now, for things it is already set up for like Youtube and Netflix the picture and sound are great!

• Like 1

Where did you get yours?

Talk about timing... went in to Best Buy to get a new TV and was talking to the salesman about trying to find one when their delivery truck rolled in... with a shipment of 5. Before anything else was said, I made sure he pulled one off the truck for me.

Wait ... it looks like this device still requires a computer hooked up to your TV; and so you could just get up and walk over to the TV/PC and use the old mouse and browser to watch the stream. In which case this device essentially allows you to use your wireless device as a remote. And possible a poor remote if it actually streams from the source to your wireless device, then to the PC, then to the TV. If so, it's not surprising the sound is stuttery.

Is the above correct?

Other than being wireless... How is this different than me hardwiring my laptop into my TV using an HDMI cord? Is the quality going to be that much better?

Wait ... it looks like this device still requires a computer hooked up to your TV; and so you could just get up and walk over to the TV/PC and use the old mouse and browser to watch the stream. In which case this device essentially allows you to use your wireless device as a remote. And possible a poor remote if it actually streams from the source to your wireless device, then to the PC, then to the TV. If so, it's not surprising the sound is stuttery.

Is the above correct?

It wirelessly streams things from your devices (laptop, tablets, phones, etc), so no computer hookup to the TV required.

Aside from the few things it supports natively at the moment (netflix/etc), you can stream the content of a chrome browser tab, so for the FN you bring it up on your computer in Chrome then that can be streamed to the Chromecast.

Other than being wireless... How is this different than me hardwiring my laptop into my TV using an HDMI cord? Is the quality going to be that much better?

Hard-wiring will generally be superior most of the time. If you can do it without too much inconvenience, you should, particularly for something like FN streaming.

• Like 1

Quality would be the same (or could be worse for FN, not sure if there's any type of compression going but I'd doubt it).

For me the $35 was worth the convenience of not hooking up the laptop, becuase my laptop is from work and it turns on the screensaver after 10 minutes of no activity (mouse or keyboard), and that setting is locked down so i can't change it. Which meant I had to remember to get up every 8 or so mins just to touch a key so the screen wouldn't go back near the end of a show.

I'm sure down the road there will be a lot more cast-enabled software and content, so for the low price its not a bad thing to fool around with. Still won't replace the Roku, the XBox or the built-in internet apps in my tv anytime soon, but they all serve different purposes (unfortuantely.. 1 device for everything would be great)

ok...thanks.....I will say one time during on e of the regionals, my laptop decided to autmoatically install windows updated...and neede to shut down...THAT was a tad frustrating...otherwise it's seems to work out ok..as long as the volume is like Atlanta, and not the previous streams..