Thoughts on the TOC

On the flip side, the Disney thing was pretty nebulous without clear defined rubric. At least ToC Cup is awarded based on high achievement

I think the criteria was "whatever the mouse liked best" - perfectly clear, and impossible to argue with.

In fairness to the mouse, he did a pretty good job of picking a set of winners that represent enjoyable, accessible drum corps. If you wanted to introduce someone to DCI, you wouldn't go far wrong by picking from the mouse's list.

Actually, I think there's quite a bit of merit in a "Spirit of Disney" or "Fan Network" award for audience-friendly shows. DCI should recognize and reward shows that the fans love, separate from shows that have the excellence required to win. Only one group is going to win, but Surf 2012 proves that all can aspire to fielding an audience favorite.

And the shows the fans love are the ones that should get the biggest share of the ticket proceeds (which are, after all, paid by the fans).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

In fairness to the mouse, he did a pretty good job of picking a set of winners that represent enjoyable, accessible drum corps. If you wanted to introduce someone to DCI, you wouldn't go far wrong by picking from the mouse's list.

I'm surprised that Madison '95 didn't win this award, given the enormous love accorded that show by fans.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Crown has a better chance at winning this TOC cup than DCI finals. However, it is interesting that this type of scoring actually rewards those corps that come out of the gate strong. I wonder if DCI implemented this kind of scoring for regionals than the first regional would be a lot more important and it would reward corps for their hardwork at every part of the season and not just the end.

And everything would be stale and boring at the end. I like that corps progress through the season. Their best show should be at Indy ... not Minneapolis.

• Like 1

Why is it even called the "Tour of Champions"? There are 5 actual champions; the other 2 haven't won jack squat. Plus, isn't there another "real champion" that isn't a part of this?

It's called TOC because DCI has an obligation to its member corps to promote them and the activity in the most effective way. And the seven corps that make up the TOC are still all DCI member corps. The TOC name and concept is a better marketing approach than MiM or "The Successful Corps Club".

What better name to call it that does the expected service to DCI's members?

(and I'm bracing for some doozie examples)

It's called TOC because DCI has an obligation to its member corps to promote them and the activity in the most effective way. And the seven corps that make up the TOC are still all DCI member corps. The TOC name and concept is a better marketing approach than MiM or "The Successful Corps Club".

What better name to call it that does the expected service to DCI's members?

(and I'm bracing for some doozie examples)

I like "Music in Motion," but I agree that "Tour of Champions" is a MUCH better marketing hook

Yes, because no average person can tell the difference between the uncontrolled spontanious roaring and cheering of a crowd, versus muffled "golf claps", Sheesh.

Well, I guess when we're talking two extremes, but since there is no legit "applause-o-meter" that exists... :rolleyes: