Thoughts on the TOC

And everything would be stale and boring at the end. I like that corps progress through the season. Their best show should be at Indy ... not Minneapolis.

Sure do agree with this!

Watching the progress over the season has become much easier with the advent of FN.

I like the end product in August, but I also like to see how they mold the steel, too.

(Especially Crown this year!)

Why is it even called the "Tour of Champions"? There are 5 actual champions; the other 2 haven't won jack squat. Plus, isn't there another "real champion" that isn't a part of this?

Actually there ARE "Six actual champions,"

Edited by JohnZ
personal attack removed
  • Like 1

Sure do agree with this!

Watching the progress over the season has become much easier with the advent of FN.

I like the end product in August, but I also like to see how they mold the steel, too.

(Especially Crown this year!)

I'm with you guys! I've always enjoyed watching shows 'mature' and really come into fruition throughout the summer. Watching the end product is cool, but I love seeing the different versions of a show throughout the year (like Cavaliers 2004 Championship show originally "ending" with 'For Your Eyes Only'...lol)

1375543153[/url]' post='3300863']

Why is it even called the "Tour of Champions"? There are 5 actual champions; the other 2 haven't won jack squat. Plus, isn't there another "real champion" that isn't a part of this?

So maybe it should be called tour of one champion, three former champs, one former champ who did not place in the top seven, a potential soon to be champ, and an underrated favorite?

• Like 1

And everything would be stale and boring at the end. I like that corps progress through the season. Their best show should be at Indy ... not Minneapolis.

Sure, I know somebody threw the idea out there to factor in regionals, but I don't think the current approach to DCI Championships is in jeopardy. I think DCI championships will always be based on the finals show.

For the TOC, though, since they bill every TOC show as a TOC show, since there is nothing inherently special about Buffalo and since we already reward the best corps at the end on finals night, it doesn't make any since to me to count the last show as 6 times more important than any of the others. Instead of the TOC Cup maybe they should award a Buffalo Chip.

It's called TOC because DCI has an obligation to its member corps to promote them and the activity in the most effective way. And the seven corps that make up the TOC are still all DCI member corps. The TOC name and concept is a better marketing approach than MiM or "The Successful Corps Club".

What better name to call it that does the expected service to DCI's members?

(and I'm bracing for some doozie examples)

Then it should showcase Champions. Words have meaning. False Advertising.

Edited by Plankton

Then it should showcase Champions. Words have meaning. False Advertising.

I think that is a bit much. The term 'champion' could mean a lot of things, including anyone who has ever one an individual show, or anyone an officially sanctioned entity recognizes as such.