Future MiM/ToC Events

Why not? The G7 groups seem to do pretty well with DCI's current scoring model. They probably think that's excatly how the shows should be judged.

Actually, the sheets used in 2012 and 2013 are different from what was used at most shows in 2011 (and all shows previously)--that's the year they were tested at the ToC shows.

Curiously, one of the G7 didn't make the top 7 in 2012 when the new sheets began to be generally used!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Actually, the sheets used in 2012 and 2013 are different from what was used at most shows in 2011 (and all shows previously)--that's the year they were tested at the ToC shows.

Curiously, one of the G7 didn't make the top 7 in 2012 when the new sheets began to be generally used!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Not too curious: their design was not-so-great, particularly their awful (compared to the past decade + of Cavalier design at least). That show would've placed outside Top 7 on any of DCI's previous sheets

The name of the series makes no difference. I wish it'd been called Music in Motion this year so we wouldn't have the constant moaning about leaving out champions or including non-champions.

I agree: I thought they HAD dropped Tour of Champions. I guess that moniker is too good of a marketing tool to pass up, tough. I imagine that since their cup is labeled "Tour of Champions" they're not planning on dropping the name anytime soon

I went to TOC events in 2011 and 2012, and as standalone DCI shows, they're nice. Top groups in a small(ish) show. I can dig that.

Format-wise, though, I think they're a bit of a missed opportunity. Basically, it's just 7 DCI Murfreesboro's all over the country, with a massed encore thrown in for good measure and some I&E demonstrations. That's not bad, but it's also... well, conventional.

If/as the concept evolves, I would hope that changes to the basic structure of the "drum corps event" could be explored.

How about new forms of judging? MiM could use these to show us how *they* think corps should be judged. You can't tell me it's the exact same as what's at DCI events.

How about a different score criteria at each of the events (maybe musically weighted at one, visually at another, entertainment/excitement at another and a full "regular" panel in the final event), thus giving the points champion an "all around" title?

How about mini ensembles made up of groups from different corps? Even mini-marching units? Or an all drumline-marching group for a short piece? Or all brass, or a field full of guard for a song?

For outreach, how about having each corps use the show stadium for part of that day? Sell band tickets based on the opportunity to see every corps rehearse in front of them, all day, without having to move.

Even better, why not start next year's tryouts *now* at the TOC events? Or how about auditioning for multiple corps instructors at once - let HS and college students get their name and abilities in front of a group of corps at the same time?

If you have the top corps in the world at your disposal, I would have expected more of a "kitchen sink" approach. One thing I did agree with in the G7 proposal - this would have been a great way to build a "circus comes to town" aura around the events.

These are all good ideas, Mike.

But a number of these performance things might require some extra rehearsal time for the corps involved.

Perhaps it would be best if these corps simply break off from DCI and form their own group... so they can concentrate on this format. :ph34r:

Ducking for cover now.... :tongue:

The name of the series makes no difference. I wish it'd been called Music in Motion this year so we wouldn't have the constant moaning about leaving out champions or including non-champions.

Of course the name makes a difference. Words have meaning. This Title is false advertising. Period.

I count 5 DCI Champions in the current 7. Math is hard.

Crown and Bluecoats have won lots of shows, including I believe shows where all the other top ranked corps were present.

It is not called Tournament of DCI World Champions, just Tournament of Champions.

Crown and Bluecoats have won lots of shows, including I believe shows where all the other top ranked corps were present.

It is not called Tournament of DCI World Champions, just Tournament of Champions.

I'm trying really hard to stay on this side of the fence with you, but even I'm having a hard time swallowing this explanation.

:tongue:/>

There is a Corps that won the "Pizza Hut Invitational" that IS NOT included in the 7 "Champions". Why not?