In 1 sentence - what 1 thing would you change about DCI?

Change the name to "Summer Honor Bands International" ( unless a new division is created called "retro Corps" which is limited to 1980 rules )

• Like 1

I would lessen the amount of WGI guard influence in visual so we get less BS programs.

Amen!!! Plus 1!

• Like 3

Require all instructional staff to have an education degree.

Mike

require all instructional staff and volunteers to have a criminal background check

• Like 2

Mike

why? just curious........why an education degree.........some of the best in the business don't have this ...actually some don't have a college degree and that includes judges......unless youre saying that's a problem :huh:/>

having a teaching degree doesnt mean they are a good teacher, especially in this activity. Same goes for many who think just because they may have marched in a top 5 or finalist corps makes them a good instructor.

Many bands and winter programs find this out often by hiring so and so who marched in some big name and who never takes off their jacket...lol............doesnt make them a good communicator, creative,supportive,etc etc.

Edited by GUARDLING

For the thread "In 1 sentence- what 1 thing would you change about DCP".

Teach posters that calling someone a Dino because they disagree with them is not an argument, it is the opposite of an argument.

That's what I first thought this thread was about--changing DCP. Which we all know, of course, will never happen.

require all instructional staff and volunteers to have a criminal background check

Many corps require this already (every one I've ever worked with, in fact). But I've known of some that don't, or only have for some folks...

Because having an education degree automatically confers that you actually know how to teach and get results. blink.gif

One of the the dirty secrets in American life is that our education majors at university actually have, on average, among the lowest ACT/SAT numbers of all incoming freshmen. Anyone who's had kids in school long enough can attest that there are all sorts of "professional" teachers out there we wouldn't hire to teach our dogs, much less our kids.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

That is what vhs and cassette tape are for anyway! thumbup.gif

Heh, Who STILL uses those? tongue.gif

Return of G bugles so I can hear and feel the sound of the horn line and the music.

No more electronics.

No more dancing, Pilate's, yoga horn lines....that's what the color guard is for.

No more instrument or sticks thrown down at the side of your body, shoulder in my direction, head up and legs apart as the universal band geek sign of bad ### and squatting like you need to go and right now.

I wanted to get a thread and 1 sentence to get clarity of as to what people are wanting to change. Hope you will participate.

I read and reread your post. I know I'm not very smart but.....that's a lot more than one sentence you got there. So, out of your four sentences, what is the ONE thing you would change? I like it this way because it forces you to state that ONE and only one thing that is your personal hot button.

[quote name='cowtown' timestamp='1375819246' post='3303711']
I’d put Cowtown in charge of everything
[/quote]

Can I be your sidekick? Like Money Maker Mike to your Krispy Kreme

• Like 1