In 1 sentence - what 1 thing would you change about DCI?

All copyrighted material must be cleared with all rights by Finals the year BEFORE it is played and cannot require a master use license.

I think this year may be the first since 2008 that we get every show on the DVD, although I hope I don't jinx it by saying that

Shave off each GE caption a combined total of 5 points and create a caption called 'Audience Reaction'. If it is worth points, the designers will program for it.

We can talk about how to measure this - applause meter, # of babies thrown, etc.

Edited for clarity - I see a red minus - I guess whomever that is doesn't believe we need to keep the (paying) audience engaged.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1

I would change:

Individual and Ensemble competitions.

Look at how few coprs really entered into the competitions. Missing were most of the top 12 World class corps.

From the looks of some of the videos, most were performed in darkened tents outside on pavement.

I will say as a former marching member from 30 years ago, that some of the percussion entries, such as tenor, percussion ensemble, and snare, are really, I hate to say, almost boring. The typical performer in these categories comes onto perform, announces some obscure self-titled title of the piece he/she has thought up, and then begins on some unmusical rudimentary jam. Many times the pieces don't make any sense at all. I saw BD's percussion ensemble video this year and I thought, "This is it?" How boring!

• Like 1

5 year ban on repertoires. If you or someone else played that piece of music in the last 5 years, you can't use it. This rule would cut down on the derivative nature of drum corps and keep corps from playing it safe every #### year with sequelitis. Thank you.

Really? The only example of "sequelitis" I can think of recently is BD playing Bird and Bela in 2007 and 2010, and even then I don't believe they reused melodies or sequences.. Otherwise, that's a pretty silly rule, it would have disallowed SCV 2013, Cadets 2009, SCV 1989, etc.

• Like 1

With trying to remain in the realm of "reasonable" requests, I find the singular change I would like is in returning to a greater emphasis placed on the music: Make the visual fit the music, rather than the music fit the visual.

• Like 4

I propose a change of the name 'General Effect' music and visual to something more like 'Overall Design.' It is under my understanding that having 'effect' in the name is because it is a measure of design effectiveness, but what is judged is really the show design, so I think this would help to make the judging more transparent [i.e. clear up the confusion that the effect on audiences is meant to be a big deal (sure, it counts a little, but in the eyes of judges, making the audience question a show is as effective as making them jump for joy, so this seems more appropriate)].

• Like 1

Okay I'm going to cheat: My 2 things that need to change:

1.)Narration - GONE.

Crown has such a beautiful show ruined by Narration apparently put in to appeal to junior high girls.

2.)The sheets: Music/Melody has to be given way more credit and hip thrusting and ### wiggling need to go.

How does BD get put in first for G.E. Visual when they march 1/3 of the show and the rest they run around in mobs - WTF is that.

Make the visual fit the music, rather than the music fit the visual.

I really think people would be amazed how many "problems" this would solve if it was to come to pass on the sheets.

As much as we want to proclaim that drum corps is 50% visual / 50% music . . .well, people don't buy videos of silent drill run-throughs, but somehow, we all end up buying mp3s and CDs of show audio. :tongue: