How does DCI scoring work?

So I've been wondering... a lot of people on here talk about the influence of performance order on how corps are scored as well as the influence of who else is competing. I know the judges essentially use tape recorders and don't actually write down comments (am I wrong?) so I was wondering... do judges give a score right after a corps performs or do they listen back to their tapes at the end of the competition (before scores are announced) and then give the corps scores?

They take down scores as they are going along. The problem with performance order is that the first corps' score is kind of a shot in the dark, because you don't know how much better or worse they are than everyone else. When it's the ToC shows, and Crown or BD goes on first, based on scoring trends, they will be near the top. A judge though needs to find out what they are achieving, and then the spreads work in either direction from that score.

What he said. In a perfect world you'd like a GE Music judge to be able to watch a single corps and say "Yep, that's a 16.8," but in reality a good part of judging is comparison. A corps that goes on four or five spots before its true competitive peers (let's say at a 15 corps show the 'true' 7th place corps goes on right after the 'true' 12th place corps) is (arguably) at a disadvantage because the judge has to determine how wide a gap to jump and is (arguably) likely to err on side of caution, perhaps underscoring the corps.

Edited by PurpleKnights

I think the question should be 'Does DCI scoring work?'

Define "work."

I stopped back by here to take a look, and freakys post got some plus action. I know it is easy to hit the button like, "yeah, that's how I feel."

So, why can't we go deeper than, "It's broken"

Define what you want the scoring to achieve.

Edited by c mor
  • Like 1

What he said. In a perfect world you'd like a GE Music judge to be able to watch a single corps and say "Yep, that's a 16.8," but in reality a good part of judging is comparison.

Most of the sheets spell this out, too, that part of the score is not just how well they do, but how well they do in comparison to the other corps in that particular show.

Most of the sheets spell this out, too, that part of the score is not just how well they do, but how well they do in comparison to the other corps in that particular show.

The problem with the system as it currently exists isn't in the interpretation of the scoring rules. It is in assigning a score to each show "in comparison to the other shows" BEFORE seeing ALL shows that is flawed. Not just in DCI, but in all judged competitions (WGI, BOA, local circuits).

In order to assess the shows in comparison to each other, no score could be assigned until EVERY show was complete. Imagine trying to recall how percussion lines 7, 19, and 26 performed relative to each other (and all others) after percussion line 36 finishes. Judging is already hard enough without adding that complication.

Seemingly, what would "solve" the question is to allow the same score for multiple shows in a caption - if the caption deserves a 17.2 based on the criteria it gets a 17.2. If the next show deserves a 17.2 it gets a 17.2 as well (rather than the current requirement that it be given a different number).

• Like 1