Does percussion affect Music Effect and Music Analysis scores?

Just curious, shouldn't Crowns weakness in percussion be affecting their ME and MA scores?

It seems obvious that guard performance affects visual effect and visual analysis, shouldn't it be the same for percussion in relation the music captions?

• Like 9

Just curious, shouldn't Crowns weakness in percussion be affecting their ME and MA scores?

It seems obvious that guard performance affects visual effect and visual analysis, shouldn't it be the same for percussion in relation the music captions?

I've been asking myself this question all season. How is Crown consistently winning music analysis when their percussion scores are so low in the rankings.

• Like 5

it could affect both, but remember the three sheets are all looking at vastly different things. The issues with Crown percussion are field related, and is stuff guys up in the press box most likely won't hear. It's designed to work seemlessly with the brass for ensemble, and designed in a way to maximize the effectivess of the musical package.

Howver, at the field level, there are clarity issues on lots of smaller things...lots of them...that is hurting them on that sheet. In a dome, if a snare blows an attack, odds are upstairs will not hear it, but a field judge will. if the marimbas have hand speed issues in a big 16th note run, odds are upstairs it's hurting the effectiveness of the moment unless the balance from the amps is out of whack.

Now if you go back to BD in 08, the percussion meltdown wasn't just field level....it hurt upstairs as well...and thus the spread went Phantom's way

• Like 5

So you are saying percussion is not as important to the overall package as brass and guard?

• Like 3

Maybe the judges in those captions feel their percussion section works with the music, while the percussion judge is not pleased enough diddle-parachesseum-wing-dang-doodles are rammed through the drum heads.

I agree with you that the focus on extreme hybrids (just for the sake of hybrids as opposed to using hybrids to create music) can get out of hand in the realm of rudimental drumming. However, it is this type of lack of caring by many concerning the complexity, clarity, technique, et al within the art of drumming which lead BOA to eliminate the percussion judges all together; which, in turn has lead to BOA battery books being nothing more than simple rhythmic patterns; which in turn has lead to a dumb-down education for youth on the art of drumming. There is a musical sound and feel difference between inverted flam taps and standard accented sixteenth notes, but it appears that as long as the battery provides some sort of pulse many people within the world of music, music education, and music judging do not care about musical sound and musical feel differences between various sticking patterns.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

So you are saying percussion is not as important to the overall package as brass and guard?

me? No, not in my eyes, but remember each sheet is looking for different things.

Now, I'll be honest, depending on the persons background, on MA or GE you can get very brass centric tapes, and on GE Music, too often the color of the flags comes up into the conversation

Excellence is ALWAYS a factor in those other captions, so I too am puzzled by the seeming lack of impact on those numbers when their percussion excellence is clearly a notch below the other musical contributions being made.

when looking at MA, the issues Crown has at field level aren't really hurting it. Is the ensemble together? yes at least it was Saturday. On Ge, did percussion enhance the impacts? yes, atleast it did on Saturday.

On the field, was there clarity of articulation, uniformity between the players to the level required for a week before finals? No.

Crowns issues aren't big picture issues which is whatMA and GE are dealing with. Crown's issues are solely nuts and bolts at the field level. In a dome, with 80 brass, pits amped...upstairs judges aren't going to be able to tell if diddles are fuzzy

• Like 1