Has the single-site Finals idea worked?

This is not a thread to compare acoustics of Indy and other locations.

I am simply talking about the idea to keep Finals in a central location instead of rotating yearly.

To quote "skywhopper" a year ago with the estimate for the last 10 years of attendance:

2003: 18,865 tix

2004: 22,047 tix

2005: 20,542 ATT

2006: 21,232 ATT

2007: 24,309 tix

2008: 20,534 ATT

2009: 17,865 ATT

2010: 15,900 ATT (estimated based on percentages given)

2011: 17,363 ATT

2012: 17,820 ATT

There is a nationwide appetite for DCI, but many fans will never attend championships. Are we limiting our market potential by keeping our premier event in one location? I remember it being a "can't miss" event for those who were waiting for it to come to their region.

Attendance has taken a dip since the move to Indy but I think it is more related to the economy than location. The numbers closely match economic conditions more than anything.

Moving it around does increase exposure but could effect other things on tour. It if finals were on the west coast the Allentown and other shows will loose out. I like the consistency of how it is now with working their way across the country. As far as a permanent location Indy is ideal. Domed stadium (I understand about the the acoustics but being free from weather is important also.) Airport with discount airlines and central location to many corps and driving for most of the eastern and central US.

Consistency verses variety seems to be the question. The major conventions for my job rotate but you can count on Vegas every three years. Maybe DCIcould follow this model.

Indy on even years then rotate the odd years around the country.

Edited by mountaineers97
  • Like 4

According to your (Sky's) numbers, it doesn't appear as though it is worthwhile, but I don't think DCI's decision was based solely on ticket revenue from Indy. Other considerations were: consistency in securing a venue each year, consistency in performance venue for all corps in Indy, increased emphasis on regional revenue (total season revenue > finals only), as well as partnerships with the other arts organziations based in Indy.

When taken in the full scope of impacts it's probable that DCI would consider the Indy home a significant success, IMO.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

According to your (Sky's) numbers, it doesn't appear as though it is worthwhile, but I don't think DCI's decision was based solely on ticket revenue from Indy. Other considerations were: consistency in securing a venue each year, consistency in performance venue for all corps in Indy, increased emphasis on regional revenue (total season revenue > finals only), as well as partnerships with the other arts organziations based in Indy.

When taken in the full scope of impacts it's probable that DCI would consider the Indy home a significant success, IMO.

Also, it's not just about revenue but also about costs. My impression is that Indy has priced itself pretty attractively.

Personally, I dislike Indy as a destination, hate Lucas Oil as a venue, and will probably not go to championships as long as it's there. But it's more important that DCI stay solvent than that it make me happy!

• Like 1

Good question. Personally, I think if it were held at a central location, such as Jerry World in Dallas it would be cheaper for those on the West coast to get to.

Overall I would say no it hasn't worked. I think having finals in a different location, region allowed many more people to be exposed to the activity.

Keeping it in one area makes overall interest lower IMHO.

• Like 1

Worked for who? DCI? Apparently it has. The fans? Unless you live in Indiana...probably not. It's a loaded question.

I've been a proponent of rotating Finals locations among the regional sites.

Year 1: Indy

Year 2: Atlanta

Year 3: Philly/NJ area

Year 4: Minneapolis

Year 5: Texas or Cali

Make sure you come back to Indy every 5 years like the NCAA Final Four