Local business sponsorships?

I was curious as to how a local business sponsoring you works out in terms of the whole tax deduction thing. Can the business only contribute towards tuition and camp fees for the corps or is there anything more related that they can help with? I'm asking this because I'm not sure if I will be able to pay for plane tickets to audition camps and rehearsal camps so I was wondering if a business could cover that as well or maybe if that doesn't count.

There's really no tax deduction issue to consider here, because someone (you) is deriving benefit from the contribution. Even if you had a sponsor pay directly to the corps (a charitable deduction), if it's assigned to you and you derive benefit the deduction is disallowed.

A local sponsor would need to make a no-strings-attached contribution, the corps would have to agree to use it for "scholarships", and you'd have to be the random recipient of one of those scholarships.

Disclaimer: Seek qualified tax advice, past performance in not an indication of future success, wear clean underwear.

What does it mean when a corps is sponsored "locally" at a particular show ... at Buffalo TOC every corps had a local school and at least one Buffalo area business that were their sponsors.

I understand the school is probably their housing ... but what does the local cbs tv station for example do to be recognized as a sponsor. Is this a new thing?

What does it mean when a corps is sponsored "locally" at a particular show ... at Buffalo TOC every corps had a local school and at least one Buffalo area business that were their sponsors.

I understand the school is probably their housing ... but what does the local cbs tv station for example do to be recognized as a sponsor. Is this a new thing?

What do the local sponsors do to get recognition at the show?

Give $$$ or in-kind contributions like airtime, food, water, etc.